Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• Bosniavet96
    Bosniavet96 Posts: 51 Forumite
    I'm trying to persuade a mate I served with who is in receipt of a War Pension to make application for early payment of his preserved pension on the grounds he is "permanently unfit to work" (he receives incapacity benefit, or whatever they call it now). Has anyone got experience of trying for this, & do they reduce the payment as you claim it early?
  • MITM
    MITM Posts: 2 Newbie
    Edwardia, I would check again. The original thread has a bit of the criteria missing. The age limit of 26 was removed in 1978. Check on the MOD web site. I would cut and paste the link but as I'm new to this site it wont allow me. :(
  • MITM
    MITM Posts: 2 Newbie
    Then again, just add cut and paste then add www at the start.

.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B1BABEDC-D997-4F73-B1B1-6F0B9E5BD36E/0/PreservedPensions.pdf
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 7:50PM
    Many thanks for this,Husband just phoned and he is entitled to a pension,we just have to write in for a forecast.
  • Similar question as before but different dates

My friend served 9 years in the army from 1961 to 1970, he has been living in Canada. Is he due any pension, his rank was corporal in the REME.

He was born 24/03/42

much obliged Larry Jarvis
  • Can anyone advice me on the follows please.
    My Dad served in the Army and completed 12 years service from 1970-1982 and voluntary left. Unfortantly he died at the age of 47 in 1999 my Mum was given £7000 from the Army, will she be entitled to anymore next year when she is 60. your help would be appreciated. (He left as a CPL)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2012 at 5:27PM
    This may help http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

A bit confused about where the £7k came from, were they married, very important as the only reason I can find for a lump sum is if not married.

Page 17
    Paying of Preserved Benefits to Dependants

If you die after leaving Service but before preserved benefits become payable, your dependants will have the entitlements detailed below:
    • the scheme will pay a widow’s or widower’s pension at one half of the preserved pension rate (for Service given before 31 March 1973, see the note on page 15).
    • if you married your spouse after leaving the Armed Forces, only service after 6 April 1978 will count towards the post-retirement widow’s or widower’s pension. Your widower will only be entitled if you were serving on or after 1 October 1987 and again only for service after 6 April 1978.
    • the scheme will pay children’s pensions on the basis set out on this page.
    • if there is no widow or widower, or eligible child, the scheme will pay your estate a lump sum equal to the preserved terminal grant.
    Also here http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/73C97FDF-BCDA-4B3F-A686-CA8533FD52BC/0/afps75_mmp106_your_pension_scheme_explained.pdf

Some useful contact addresses in the booklets.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Forumite
    My father just threw into a conversation that he wonders if he is entitled to an army pension. From a quick look on this thread it seems unlikely, but would like some clarity.

He served in WWII from 1941 to 1946 in the Royal Engineers.

He knows a few more details but some are lost in the mists of time...

Anyone advise please?

Rob
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Forumite
    robatwork wrote: »
    My father just threw into a conversation that he wonders if he is entitled to an army pension. From a quick look on this thread it seems unlikely, but would like some clarity.

He served in WWII from 1941 to 1946 in the Royal Engineers.

He knows a few more details but some are lost in the mists of time...

Anyone advise please?

Rob
    Not entitled I am afraid, in those days you had to serve a full career to get a pension. The new rules started in the 1970s.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback