Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bobadobado
    Boiler Replacement by British Gas 3700
    • 12th Jun 08, 1:22 AM
    Boiler Replacement by British Gas 3700 12th Jun 08 at 1:22 AM
    My Central Heating boiler is about 20 years old and needs renewing.
    I have a 4 bed semi - 11 rads, 5 sinks, 1 bath, 1 shower.

Called BG after seeing an offer on their website of upto 800 off a new boiler. "Upto" means dependant on conditions of course.
    However, as an over 60 resides in the home, am not living off the state, plus weve got the Homecare Insurance, etc etc...Woo Hoo...all the terms were met!

Appointment was made online. Received an email confirming appointment. Next day received a call from BG to confirm appointment and tell me the name of the sales advisor who would be calling. All sounded very helpful and efficient (If only their HomeCare service was a good). Few days letter then receive a letter in the post again confirming the appointment, and ever so gently warning me the advisor will take upto an hour and half to dicuss options and conduct the survey.

The sales guy rings the door bell literally on the dot (although he did arrive 10 mins earlier but sat outside in his shiny new car).

Conducts his survey and quotes me around the 3700 mark. Thats for a replacement boiler BG Glowworm 330, a power flush, a wireless thermostat, and a few other bits and bobs like adding a new radiator thermostat. Although he was unable to break down how he came to the 3700 figure, i tried to do it for him. Apparently Boiler is around 1100, Labour 1900, Thermostat 150, plus VAT, plus all the required certification etc etc etc. Also have to have this magnetic filter thingy fitted too. Bear in mind this quote also takes into account the 800 discount.

I said it sounded to expensive. The response was the price is fixed but he'll knock 150 off if I pay a deposit now - Take it or leave it.
    I said leave it - he left his details and before departing said BG are the best, the boiler is fantastic, it has a 15 year parts availability guarantee, we supply and fit the whole package, take care of everything, do millions of systems, are number 1, so dont compromise with anyone else and feel free to call if I decide I want to go ahead. Oh and the quote will also be in the post.

Im no heating engineer, but this sales attempt by BG with all the efficiency and sales patter has just led me to feel this is an attempt to pull the wool over my eyes and it is actually expensive. But thats just how I feel, or is it actually a reaonable quote?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,091Posts Today

8,660Users online

Martin's Twitter