[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• spook007_2
    Options
    If you've been caught by the Shopper Discount and savings co.uk scam, check your pc for their software. It's called savingsuk.exe and savingsuk.pf.
    Most likely you'll find it in a folder called savingsuk in C:\Programs folder.
    In the folder there is a Readme file which says you can uninstall the program by going the usual route: Start\Settings\ControlPanel\Add or Remove programs where it's listed under SavingsUK.
    If you go this route and click on Chnge/Remove you will get a popup with WARNING! in large letters against deleting the file. If you ignore it and try to delete the folder, it will disappear from the list of programs BUT IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED!!!
    Trying to remove it by blanking the ReadOnly box on Profiles/Attributes doesn't work -- nor does attempts to Wipe it or Shred it.
    I found the only way to get rid of it was to move it to a blank disk on the A-drive and then either deleting it from the disk or formatting it.

Remember to go to Start\Run and enter regedit. Then click on Edit\Find and enter Savingsuk. It finds only one entry. click on the containing folder (in the left column) and click on Delete.

spook007:rolleyes:
  • ebyard
    ebyard Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    This company needs to be put out of business very soon. We've just been scammed by them, and I bet thousands of others are unknowingly paying this. I am going to do a search on companies house and get their accounts and directors contact details.

Report their scam to Watchdog etc and complain to the merchant for taking your details. This is an evil scam. Let's shut them down!
  • fil6699
    Options
    :mad::mad: I have also just discovered that these thieves (no other way to describe them) have been stealing 8 pound every month for the last 4 months . It would appear that it was after I purchased an Easy Jet flight. Visa say they cant do anything . Somebody must STOP them now I have spoken to them and am told I will recieve a refund (not holding my breath waiting for it)
    How can it be legal to use somebodys credit card without actualy asking permision from them and it begs the question how secure is the Easy Jet web site if you book a flight and then discover some less than honest company has all your details and is taking money every month . WAKE UP EASY JET after all its the only way to book a flight with you . I for sure will not be booking another Easy Jet flight untill I am asured they have secured the Web site. Would be good if ALL COMPANYS INVOLVED WERE NAMED AND SHAMED HERE. Maybe it would make them act and clean up there security.:mad::mad::mad:
  • jamie75
    jamie75 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2009 at 4:42PM
    Options
    fil6699 wrote: »
    :mad::mad: I have also just discovered that these thieves (no other way to describe them) have been stealing 8 pound every month for the last 4 months . It would appear that it was after I purchased an Easy Jet flight. Visa say they cant do anything . Somebody must STOP them now I have spoken to them and am told I will recieve a refund (not holding my breath waiting for it)
    How can it be legal to use somebodys credit card without actualy asking permision from them and it begs the question how secure is the Easy Jet web site if you book a flight and then discover some less than honest company has all your details and is taking money every month . WAKE UP EASY JET after all its the only way to book a flight with you . I for sure will not be booking another Easy Jet flight untill I am asured they have secured the Web site. Would be good if ALL COMPANYS INVOLVED WERE NAMED AND SHAMED HERE. Maybe it would make them act and clean up there security.:mad::mad::mad:

Hi Fil6699, I think we should name andthe companies who let their customers be signed up to the SD&R membership
    I'd like to know how much EasyJet and the other companies charge ShoppersDiscounts to gain the access to our bank/visa details.

I'm sure you'll get all your money back. I put together a bit of a guide on page 21 on how I got all my money, which I hope helps people.
  • Yes, they 'stung' me exactly the same way, luckily I noticed the £10 going out on my bank statement in the first month.

After ringing the customer services number (and getting an automated recording - yawwn!) I did mange to cancel my so called 'membership,' but BEWARE.... there was no mention of refunding the money they had already taken -so after ringing for a second time, and talking to a real live person (shock horror!!) they have now said they will return the money within 10 working days (and rightly so - I don't even remember clicking on a pop up box - I'm always so careful with stuff like that on the internet.)

The lady did also state that is was when purchasing a room from the Ebookers website, that they 'got me.' (Needless to say I have now written a very grumpy email to Ebookers customer services too!!) The fact Shoppers Discounts & Rewards agreed to reimburse my money so quickly and without argument, makes me even more sure that what they are doing is barely legal!

Fingers crossed for the return of my money.... (and yours too, if you've been an unwitting victim also!) :T
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AFAIC there is nothing even remotely legal about it, I am slowly building a complete list of ALL companies involved in this SCAM, involved in so much as they are aware this company uses their site to transfer details relevant (they pay each company a fee to allow it) said company don't seem to realise just how they do this, or just don't care.

Watchdog are pretty much useless over the issue, even NOW if you report it, you get the usual "we need more people to report it first", and this is after many, many, many on this site and elsewhere have reported it to them.

Its scandalous as we all know the victims on this thread alone is minuscule compared to those who are still unaware, so paying a few people off, to "shut them up", is mere loose change from the back pocket.

This has been going on for FAR too long now, nothing gets resolved over it, unless you are fortunate enough to stumble upon this site and realise you TOO are a victim. Its why they posted previously on this thread (months ago), to try to stem this thread, alas it failed, itas why they are only too happy to refund people so abruptly, as they themselves know, they have no choice.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Braxton
    Braxton Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    If you call 0808 234 1539 you can cancel your 'subscription' and they should refund your charges if you request it.
    I have spoken to my bank who has given me this info and they have said this is the result of booking train tickets/flights online. I don't recall clicking on anything other than what I needed to...very sneaky.

Let's wait to see if they refund me
  • halcyondays
    halcyondays Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to say that I have just noticed the payments on my credit card bill, I have contacted shopperdiscounts and they said it was due to a purchase made through the trainline (who I use frequently). I am usually very careful about not ticking boxes where my details can be used and find it really strange that I have willingly signed up for this. I have requested a refund but not yet received a reply.
    though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor on the grass, of glory in the flower; we will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind
  • AlistairN
    Options
    BEWARE RYANAIR 'DISCOUNT OFFERS'

I booked a flight via Ryanair today and at the confirmation stage on the Ryanair site got a box to click to 'Claim your £10 discount of your next Ryanair booking'. This led to Shopper discounts and rewards site - asked for CC details and implied this is in order to make payments TO the consumer , not take them from the consumer. I noticed a reference to a fee and followed that link - apparently they were set up to take £10 a month. They do offer a discount off a Ryanair flight but warn it can take 6 weeks to process - by which time they'll have take £20 off you!

I then found this thread and realised that they are probably amenable to getting rid of annoying customers who use words like fraud and theft.

I called them and they have agreed to cancel and to email me to confirm that they have not taken, and will not take, any money. I'm waiting for the email which I will then send to my CC company telling them that these people have no authority to take payments, with a copy to the scammers.

I'm sure that there are some T&Cs somewhere and they could probably put up a weak case for what they are doing being borderline legal. But it is not clearly explained and certainly not ethical.

I will also complain to Ryanair but the chances of that doing any good are minimal as they are almost as bad - but at least I know what to look for on their site!

My thanks for the clear and useful advice on here - nice to know I'm not alone in being caught out.
  • micheleg39
    Options
    I havent read every post regarding this "scam"
    I bought a train ticket about 3 months ago
    I had £10 taken from my account and I certainly did not knowingly sign anything
    I am so unhappy about this because we dont have enough as it is :(
    I have emailed them and demanded my money back so fingers crossed
    I feel really psd off now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills