IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
uPVC door lock mechanism broken!
Views: 150,295
# 1
almacmil
Old 14-02-2008, 6:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default uPVC door lock mechanism broken!

Just today the lock mechanism on my uPVC door gave in. At first it was only the door "latch" that wouldn't retract so i took that off (simple screw) and could still secure the door by the shoot bolts (hook type) and lock it. Now the shoot bolts are stuck in place and the handle doesn't do anything! Luckily, the door is stuck shut, not open. Both times there was a failure of something in the door - I felt it go.

Any ideas anyone, about where to go from here? Can I open the door some how and replace the mechanism? Or does the whole frame and door need to be ripped out and replaced?

UPdate - Just after posting the above I had a brainwave and can now open and secure the door by the shoot bolts! Can I replace the mechanism easily?
Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.

Last edited by almacmil; 14-02-2008 at 7:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
stryker2001
Old 14-02-2008, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

you can get replacement gears no problem. Need to get the door open first though.lol. If the hookbolts are in the full lock position you'll have to try and get the hinges off. If you cant do that you're gonna struggle. If the hooks are only slightly engaged you might be able to lever the sash away from the frame. Risk of putting a dent in the plastic though. If you get it open the gearing should have a makers name just below the latch. Do a search and you'll find a number of companies that do them. Let me know and i'll get you a price as i get a good discount. Easy to fit, its getting to it that might be a problem.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to stryker2001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ormus
Old 14-02-2008, 7:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/lock...6dc56d45ecf4ef

this site may help you.
Get some gorm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
almacmil
Old 15-02-2008, 7:25 AM

Thanks Stryker and Ormus.

I've managed to open the door by using a flat blade screwdriver to move the "roller cam" (tho' my roller cam is different to the one in the link above).

I presume I just remove the "face plate" running the vertical length of the door edge to access the lock and mechanism?
Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.
# 5
stryker2001
Old 15-02-2008, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

you need to take the handle off first, then take out the cylinder which is screwed in and maybe offset. So slightly turn the key when pulling it out. Google the make of the gearing and you should find a supplier. They range from £45 to £120 ish depending on how many hook bolts there are
The Following User Says Thank You to stryker2001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lowbo69
Old 11-06-2008, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Same prob

Hi guys,

With regards to a broken mechanism, the same happened to me the other day but I'm still at the position of not being able to open the door as the rollers are still engaged. I've managed to remove the euro cylinder and can move across the spring loaded cam, which the cam in the euro lock moves across usually, but the door handle refuses to go past horizontal. Obviously something else has gone and it's not the cylinder!!! How can the rollers be disengaged from this position, without me going to extremes of removing hinges or glass panels??? Or is this my only alternative.....?

Any assistance most welcome.

R.
# 7
kittieliz
Old 15-06-2008, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default stuck key

hi i have a upvc door and the key is stuck but its open the bolt that locks the door isnt moving the key wont turn left and right weve tried everything we could think of is there any sugestions anyone has to help us? much appreciated x
# 8
david69
Old 15-06-2008, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I personally think think type of work should be left to pro's contact either a locksmith or better still a dg repairer in your yellow pages
# 9
thebaldwindowfitter
Old 29-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbo69 View Post
Hi guys,

With regards to a broken mechanism, the same happened to me the other day but I'm still at the position of not being able to open the door as the rollers are still engaged. I've managed to remove the euro cylinder and can move across the spring loaded cam, which the cam in the euro lock moves across usually, but the door handle refuses to go past horizontal. Obviously something else has gone and it's not the cylinder!!! How can the rollers be disengaged from this position, without me going to extremes of removing hinges or glass panels??? Or is this my only alternative.....?

Any assistance most welcome.

R.
check on the outside that the door sash aligns with the frame usually this happens if the door has dropped on the lock side .if this is the case then the lock mechanism will catch in the recievers .you can try taking the beads out holding the glass and repacking glass .to do this you need a packer underneath the glass on the hinge side and at the side of glass,then on the lock side you need a packer at the top side of glass and top edge of glass.put packers then as required to bot of glass at hinge side and top of glass lock side you will need to lever up with a chisel (use packer on edge of glass to stop breakage)untill the gap across top of door sash is parallel with frame .if this doesnt work then depending on hinges you can just take the pins out
if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
# 10
vancreef
Old 10-08-2008, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default upvc door lock problem

i got up this morning to find my front door will not open. the key turns, and i can hear the lock 'click', but the handle still feels solid in the horizontal position. i noticed that the handle feels very 'floppy' when lifted, when normally there would be a little bit of resistance. i was told to take the door off it's hinges, but they are the type that have screw-in bolts, top and bottom, which are aslo secured in place by grub-screws, which are concealed when the door is closed. does anyone have any ideas as to how i can solve this? oh by the way, hi all. sorry for seeming ignorant, but i am desperate to get this sorted asap.
cheers.
# 11
thebaldwindowfitter
Old 12-08-2008, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if the door sash is not parellel to the frame this can cause the locking mechanism (not the barrel were the key turns) to jam if you pm me if this is your problem i will explain how to rectify this
# 12
Sunnyday
Old 01-01-2009, 11:05 PM

I have exactly the same problem as vancreef - it happened an hour ago.

Can anyone tell me what to do so that i can open the door?

Thanks
SD
Planning on starting the GC again soon
# 13
Sunnyday
Old 02-01-2009, 4:41 PM

Hi again,
thanks very much for the pm`s and offers of help folks - the door is now fixed.
We had to take the hinges off to get to the lock side and found that the part inside the lock that works the mechanism to shoot the bolts had sheared off.

The whole strip attatched to the lock went to the locksmith and he attatched the strips to a new lock as the one we had was obsolete.

It`s all back in working order now thank goodness, the locksmith was great, it took him ages to sort it out and he didn`t charge for the work, only the lock. He did say that this was the 7th one today and it`s not normally something he sees so much of, when we were there waiting someone else walked in with one too.

Thanks again everyone.
SD
Planning on starting the GC again soon
# 14
Reidsta
Old 19-01-2009, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default locking problem

I have a problem whereby if you lift up the internal lever it can still be completely opened just bypushing down the outside pad. It used to be that if the internal lever had been lifted up you could only open it from the outside by ue of the key. Now I have to lock the door with the key form the inside to stop people just opening the door and walking in.

Any ideas?
# 15
pensarenti
Old 09-07-2009, 8:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry UPVC Door mechanism replacement

I was letting my neighbour out and seemed to get the sequence of the door locking wrong because it would not lock and then i closed it and it would not open ,my Son managed to get it open but i was afraid to mess with it again so just closed it because i was told that it would cost a lot of money to get it open if i locked it and it stuck so did not go out and put the alarm on at night time, looked at adverts in paper and telephone directory and saw that prices were only given for the hourly rate some from£55 and some from £35 . I finally chose one and they came and said it was the locking mechanism i myself thought that it would be the barrel on the lock , the lock was only about £5 to replace but...... he proceeded to take everything off and the outcome was wait for it .... big shock as i am a Pensioner and not much money... £189 !!!!!!!!i feel sick you can get a new door for under £400 just , and i have been quoted £200 for my kitchen window glass and all so maybe i should have researched first because i saw a locking mechanism for £90 but whatcan you do? they6 hold all the cards
# 16
Poppy9
Old 09-07-2009, 8:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

My UPVC front door stayed locked over New Year. Our builder recommended someone who does "doors and windows" and he replaced the mechanism and the whole job cost about £110 which was £90 for the part and £20 labour.
~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~

I get knocked down, but I get up again
# 17
Locknut
Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensarenti View Post
I was letting my neighbour out and seemed to get the sequence of the door locking wrong because it would not lock and then i closed it and it would not open ,my Son managed to get it open but i was afraid to mess with it again so just closed it because i was told that it would cost a lot of money to get it open if i locked it and it stuck so did not go out and put the alarm on at night time, looked at adverts in paper and telephone directory and saw that prices were only given for the hourly rate some from£55 and some from £35 . I finally chose one and they came and said it was the locking mechanism i myself thought that it would be the barrel on the lock , the lock was only about £5 to replace but...... he proceeded to take everything off and the outcome was wait for it .... big shock as i am a Pensioner and not much money... £189 !!!!!!!!i feel sick you can get a new door for under £400 just , and i have been quoted £200 for my kitchen window glass and all so maybe i should have researched first because i saw a locking mechanism for £90 but whatcan you do? they6 hold all the cards

So your blaming the guy for your door going wrong? if you want to put a new barrel on for £5 go for it but it wont help. and £190 is about average for a new locking system. just because you saw one for £90 does not mean that it would have been any good for your door. Thats like saying my ferrari needs a new engine, I have seen a ford one for £50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locknut For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
cjt2009
Old 29-10-2009, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,

I'm having problems turning the key in a UPVc door. The mechansim seems to be working fine. The key won't turn when the door is open either so i don't think it's an alignment issue

Thanks
# 19
Locknut
Old 29-10-2009, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does the key turn at all? or just turn a little then get jammed?
# 20
cjt2009
Old 30-10-2009, 1:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,

The key turns a tiny bit, so there's about 1mm of the lock sticking out. It won't go any further than that

Thanks