PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on reheating

Options
Hi everyone, :)

We have hundreds of very short threads on reheating things, and mostly they just need a quick yes or no answer.

So here is our brand new Quick Questions on reheating thread.

You can reheat most foods after freezing, or cool storage, with the basic rule being to ensure that the food is piping hot throughout - which means a minimum temperature of 72°C everywhere.

Rice is a common question - if it is cooled quickly and stored in the fridge or freezer as soon as possible then it should be OK to defrost (in the microwave for speed is best) and to reheat. The problem with rice isn't so much the bacteria that can multiply in it - proper reheating will kill them off - but the toxins that these bacteria produce... and these toxins are NOT affected by reheating. See:- - Reheating rice - Caution

So... over to you :)
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

Comments

• NicolaH_2
    NicolaH_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I've defrosted some bacon today and cooked it and put it in a quiche.. am I able to reheat a piece of my quiche for tea tonight? will it be safe? I am going to freeze the rest.. Thanks..
  • joey_2
    joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Should be o.k my hubby does it all the time. I prefer my quiche cold!
  • NicolaH_2
    NicolaH_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    That's great.. thanks for your quick reply..
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    Just cooking DH a spud for dinner in the oven, but poor love has come in feeling sick and gone to bed.

He said he will take it with him to work and reheat for lunch tomorrow, but would be grateful for any tips on how long to microwave it for, on what power, etc for the best results. He can't bear microwaved jacket spuds usually unless they are crisped up in the oven, but that isn't an option for him as there is only a microwave available. I'm hoping the fact that it is already oven baked, will mean it is ok when microwaved.

Should I do anything special with it when it comes out, or just let it cool down and leave it whole in the fridge overnight? Any advice gratefully received.
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whenever i have the oven on, i part m/wave potatoes, then stick them in the oven to crisp up. when they're cold, i freeze them

so whenever i fancy a jacket spud, i can take it straight out of the freezer, put it in the m/wave on defrost for 2mins, then on "heat" for 2 mins, and they've always been fine x
  • David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I had some mince tonight and cooked enough for two. One portion has now gone into the freezer. I was just wondering how exactly I reheat it (probably a stupid question...). If I get it out the day before and allow it to thaw in the fridge, do I then...errr...? How do I reheat it please...? Thank you... .
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi David,

You can either re-heat gently over a low heat it in a pan on the hob or zap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

Pink
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can i make my apple crumble now and reheat while eating our sunday roast today?

I have my mum and stepdad coming today for dinner and my kitchen is tiny, so i don't want to be doing my veg, cutting meat while trying to make my apple crumble.

What do you sunday roast cooks do?
  • FunkyFairy
    Options
    Yes you can reheat no worries. In the microwave for a few mins or put it in the oven on a low heat while you eat your main.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks

How long and do you mean low as say gas 4? (I haven't got a microwave as kitchen is just too small to accomodate one).

To give an idea of size, I will be using 1lb cooking apples and 6oz flour etc in recipe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure