Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nextonal
    • By Nextonal 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Nextonal
    Offer £250 to switch to Clydesdale, Yorkshire or B
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Offer £250 to switch to Clydesdale, Yorkshire or B 4th Oct 17 at 1:24 PM
    Update: This is now live nationwide, switching to Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank or 'B'

Hello,

First post here though I do lurk elsewhere in the forums and thought I'd post this up having bypassed this yesterday. Yorkshire Bank have recently opened a new colourful branch on New Street, Birmingham and as a result are offering a generous £250 to switch.

As the title suggests, the offer is subject to switchers who set up their account in the Birmingham branch only. Apologies if already submitted or is in the wrong forum area.

Full T&Cs here: XXX.youandb.co.uk/resources/ca5d4166-3541-4222-a983-1a00b6623b91/B+Birmingham+T%26Cs+FINAL.pdf

Note: T&Cs suggest that the offer may be withdrawn at any time so those who wish to take up the offer might want to move fast.
    Last edited by Nextonal; 24-10-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Page 52
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    20aday
    Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention Nextonal; received my email from B this morning and checked my account just after lunch time and the money is in there now.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Hooray. I've joined the £250 received club. Now got another week to wait for the wife's.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Yes, saw this on here this morning. Trouble is, until April I will have too low an income to meet the pay-in requirement (retired early on two small company pensions - not my choice btw!), even though I can easily meet it with savings. I start my State pension in April so the application probably would have been OK then ....apart from that offer ending too early!

I don't want to risk getting rejected again, like I did with HSBC in 2015, by applying to NW now. Am I right to be cautious and patient? What implications are there if I got rejected?

I guess I could just wait and see what comes up after I get State Pension.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 11th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Yes, saw this on here this morning. Trouble is, until April I will have too low an income to meet the pay-in requirement (retired early on two small company pensions - not my choice btw!), even though I can easily meet it with savings. I start my State pension in April so the application probably would have been OK then ....apart from that offer ending too early!

I don't want to risk getting rejected again, like I did with HSBC in 2015, by applying to NW now. Am I right to be cautious and patient? What implications are there if I got rejected?

I guess I could just wait and see what comes up after I get State Pension.
    Originally posted by Bobblehat
    It's just £1500... not£1.5k pm ... you can take it out again & put it back in your savings..
    https://beta.natwest.com/content/dam/natwest/personal/current-accounts/documents/Switching_Offer_Terms_2018.pdf

"AND before 16 March 2018 you:

Complete a full switch of a non-NatWest account to your eligible account using the Current Account Switch Service; 

Deposit £1,500 into your eligible account;

and log into our online or mobile banking service."
    Last edited by soulsaver; 11-01-2018 at 4:59 PM. Reason: added quote
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    It's just £1500... not£1.5k pm ... you can take it out again & put it back in your savings..
    https://beta.natwest.com/content/dam/natwest/personal/current-accounts/documents/Switching_Offer_Terms_2018.pdf
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Yes ... I realised that .... been doing the hokey-cokey for some time with Tesco/BOS/M&S/1st D/Sant/NWide/Clyde/Virgin/BM/TSB ... may have forgotten a couple

My hesitation is due to whether I might get rejected at application stage when they ask my monthly income etc ...... and not knowing if that would have any credit score (or whatever) implications. I'm game to do it if it's likely to be no problem ....... any advice welcome!
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marvo5
    I don't believe there is a minimum earnings for this account. Why would there be, its not part of the terms.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    badger09
    Yes ... I realised that .... been doing the hokey-cokey for some time with Tesco/BOS/M&S/1st D/Sant/NWide/Clyde/Virgin/BM/TSB ... may have forgotten a couple

My hesitation is due to whether I might get rejected at application stage when they ask my monthly income etc ...... and not knowing if that would have any credit score (or whatever) implications. I'm game to do it if it's likely to be no problem ....... any advice welcome!
    Unless you're likely to be applying for a mortgage or substantial credit in the near future, which seems unlikely from what you've posted, why are you concerned about your 'credit score' (which is a made up number anyway)?

What have you got to lose by applying?
    • gocat
    • By gocat 11th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 56,961 Thanks
    gocat
    Started the switch from OH YB to our joint NatW.
    If I was to open a NW select account just for myself, would I be able to a switch too?
    tia
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    I don't believe there is a minimum earnings for this account. Why would there be, its not part of the terms.
    Originally posted by Marvo5
    When I applied for the HSBC account in 2015 I was turned down because my income was not sufficient for the £1750pm pay in ...even though I could easily make that amount from savings. Not good enough they said!

The NW seems to have a similar miniumum pay-in of £1500pm according to MSE's 4th bullet point. So I could get rejected again. I am not sure if this would have any significant effect on future applications for bank accounts if it were to happen again, so I am being a little cautious. All other applications I have made were £500pm and proved to be no problem with the applications.

Unless you're likely to be applying for a mortgage or substantial credit in the near future, which seems unlikely from what you've posted, why are you concerned about your 'credit score' (which is a made up number anyway)?

What have you got to lose by applying?
    Originally posted by badger09
    I don't know ... that is the point ... I'm being cautious just in case, and thought I'd sound you people out .... all sorts of varied experience here that you are willing to share

All appreciated too .... thanks.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marvo5
    With HSBC you'd got to show you could put in £1750 each month. With Nat West its a one of £1500.

That's ONCE!
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    With HSBC you'd got to show you could put in £1750 each month. With Nat West its a one of £1500.

That's ONCE!
    Bullet point 4 and the Stat's Box, of the NW offer on MSE's Best Bank Account page clearly states a minimum of £1500 per month ..... has MSE got it wrong or are we talking cross-purposes? Go check it out.

I'd love it to be a one-off too!

Has anyone done an on-line application and can give me any ideas if they ask your monthly income?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 29,665 Posts
    • 17,623 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    With HSBC you'd got to show you could put in £1750 each month.
    ...or £10,500 every 6 months.
    With Nat West its a one of £1500.

That's ONCE!
    HSBC's is also "once" if you took the second eligibility option.

I do agree, however, that behind the scenes they were very selective on income requirements.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Bobblehat: You're looking at the wrong account, those terms are for the REWARD account, you need to choose the SELECT account that doesn't have a monthly minimum pay in.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 29,665 Posts
    • 17,623 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Bullet point 4 and the Stat's Box, of the NW offer on MSE's Best Bank Account page clearly states a minimum of £1500 per month ..... has MSE got it wrong or are we talking cross-purposes? Go check it out.

I'd love it to be a one-off too!

Has anyone done an on-line application and can give me any ideas if they ask your monthly income?
    You're falling into the trap of reading MSE info and not that of the provider!

Online you're asked for your total monthly income AFTER tax, and you can include savings interest, pension, investments, etc, etc, as well as salary.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marvo5
    ...or £10,500 every 6 months. HSBC's is also "once" if you took the second eligibility option.

I do agree, however, that behind the scenes they were very selective on income requirements.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    They turned me down. I'm going to try again when I get my pension rise in April but don't hold out much hope. The Nat West application went through like a summer breeze.
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    That's brilliant folks .... thank you all for the effort of replying to me ...... and for pointing out me missing the "SELECT" account option ....sounds perfect!

I'm going to dive in and see if I get one.

• Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 11th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    Well ... the application went through OK ..... got to wait and see, as no instant account opening for me!
    • central
    • By central 12th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    central
    I remember wincing at Martin's attitude some time ago when highlighting a new credit card. Take it out, buy a banana, get the reward and cancel the card. That is possibly more ruthless than anything else he has said.

While I'm sure the proposed action above will go OK, it still seems a bit 'not nice'. We expect a fair attitude from banks etc. Maybe I'm too soft, not that that has got in the way of getting most rewards along the way!
    Originally posted by schiff

I take your point, but mmm are banks always nice?

A friend's (yes honestly) son is being charged £6 a day by Nationwide on a £160 overdraft - not very fair or nice I would say. And the B account is pants imho anyway :-)
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    SuperHan
    My switch date was 8th November, and the following payments have been made:

£1.65 in from my switch on 8 November
    £1,000 in on 10 November
    £1,004 in on 8 December
    £1,009 in on 29 December

2 x direct debits have paid on 9 Nov and 11 Dec...

Iíve had no email yet, and no bonus. I havenít bothered calling to see if Iíve met the criteria as I figure itís too late now anyway to fix, but do you guys think Iíve missed something?!

(I know theyíve technically got until next Wednesday to pay, but other 8th Nov switchers seem to have theirs!)
    • Midland45
    • By Midland45 12th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Midland45
    My switch date was 8th November, and the following payments have been made:

£1.65 in from my switch on 8 November
    £1,000 in on 10 November
    £1,004 in on 8 December
    £1,009 in on 29 December

2 x direct debits have paid on 9 Nov and 11 Dec...

Iíve had no email yet, and no bonus. I havenít bothered calling to see if Iíve met the criteria as I figure itís too late now anyway to fix, but do you guys think Iíve missed something?!

(I know theyíve technically got until next Wednesday to pay, but other 8th Nov switchers seem to have theirs!)
    Originally posted by SuperHan
    Iím a 8th Nov switcher too and havenít received the incentive as yet. I actually over met the requirements, so are confident I should get the payment. They do have until day 70 I suppose, but hopefully it may happen today. The B accounts text alerts happen within seconds, so Iíll know immediately it hits my account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,139Posts Today

8,555Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin