Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,118Posts
    • 35,167Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 66
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 2nd Dec 17, 5:16 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My favourite BoP anagram so far is Spat Limbo. Also Past Limbo.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 2nd Dec 17, 5:19 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Even better... Balm I Post.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 2nd Dec 17, 6:51 AM
    • 8,308 Posts
    • 31,775 Thanks
    ampersand
    Blaimspot

Splatibom

I, Mobsplat

Atomblips
    #
    Mcc, why did you start us off on this?))))))
    C'mon Raffles, your turn.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• house elf
    • By house elf 2nd Dec 17, 7:38 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 8,167 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning!

I have had a few days of early nights and getting up late, so no listing pleasures.......think the concussion is still lingering

1. Caught up on everyone's lists.......hugs and hurrahs! ( please help yourselves).

2. 101 Dalmatians at theatre last night. Very clever. Saw BF daughter serving behind the bar at interval. Looking really good after a recent operation.

3. Still making Xmas wreaths with my gardening groups. Managing to involve more students in the process, so speeding up, but more people ordering!!!!!

4. Lovely chat with ex student who has returned as a cleaner. She reminded me of when we made heart shaped soaps when she was in year 11. She said she still has them, and looks at them, and wishes she was still at school! ( I keep thinking about it, and it makes me cry). We remember the days we did something different at school, and there are not enough of those days for our students under this regime.

5. Set up food bank collection at school. Looks really good. Very proud of my Year 10 group. Day 1 full collection bin.

6. DS1 has split up with his GF. The pleasure being he is handling it really philosophically. (No one else at home very surprised or bothered, as we did not warm to her, but sad for him).

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 2nd Dec 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Quiet day yesterday and enjoyed not being at work.

2. House tidier and items put away in the correct place.

3. Managed to tidy the front garden and enjoyed warning up with a cup of coffee.

4. Cooked a gammon in the slow cooker. Tasted good with lots leftover.

5. Enjoying 're reading A secret garden.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Dec 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    LaineyT
    What an appalling excuse for a human being that taxi person is Frith but am sure she will be dealt with.

Friday pleasures,

Woken up by sleet hitting the window, checked alarm clock and still early hours of the morning so happily snuggled back down.

Clearing Lulu's field, nothing as easily manageable as a frozen poo

The news come through that the PTB have finally seen sense and our stadium is officially the Abbey again, Cambs Glass my a**e !

DN had Christmas Party at her salon, lovely couple of hours catching up with family members.

Home at 9pm, too late for a proper supper but enjoyed blue cheese on toasted crumpets.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 2nd Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    MandM90
    Oh, frith, what an awful person. That brought tears to my eyes. No person should ever be treated that way. I'm glad your son has decent friends/schoolmates. Yuck.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 2nd Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 32,750 Thanks
    mhagster
    I see BAMPOTS but may have missed a few letters!

For today, I have a 6 year old sleeping over, who has taken herself to bed rather earlier than usual . Wishful thinking that she's settled for the night!

A slightly milder day today as in not freezing but was foggy first thing.

Went to T, dropped some things in charity bin. Someone waving at me madly and me thinking I have no idea who you are. Then read her registration plates and realised who it was! Had a lovely chat with an old friend / colleague who has lost loads of weight and now has long hair! We kept bumping into each other and chatting as we went round store. Some RTC flowers for 75p X 2

Tidied my bedroom.

Chats with all the kids. All going out gallivanting.

Niece and great niece arrived late morning. Lunch of tomato soup ( out a tin as its what she will eat!) and then we went into town to see a show that friend was involved in. Very good. Won a raffle prize but gave it to GN.

Came home and had curry for tea. And an eclair for pudding.

Bath time, story time and a can I got to bed now?
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 2nd Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Bought myself a bottomless flan tin for one of the Jamie recipes I plan on trying out, for £2 rather than the £12 I was going to spend.
    2 CS provided a pair of trousers that I think may be too big, ops, also a Terry Prachett book as new, and 3 little toys for a pound for the fuzzie ones.
    3 The advent lorry is now stocked up with chocy goodies after I threatened to make it healthy for our diet, one step to farÖ
    4 Iíve just paffed about making Deliaís mincemeat which is now er marinating on the side as per instructions, having looked at some of the stuff thatís in shop bought, Iím interested to see what it turns out like tomorrow as itís quite a phaff to make.
    5 About to make a prawn salad, and enjoy a movie.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 2nd Dec 17, 10:50 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Got one me sin!

Have tcp out tonite. Raffles came inn. He’s legged it, cotton wool bud gets him going. He had a ...

HISSY SISSY,
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Frith
    • By Frith 2nd Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 40,060 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in!

2) Plenty of tidying up, bunk beds changed etc.

3) Hens OK.

4) Smaller son's football team won 3-0. Bigger son is out with his former school friends following the town's lights switching on do.

5) Bottled up the sloe gin for smaller son's TAs.

6) Watched Casualty.

7) Free socks arrived in the post from Homesense thanks to my loyalty card.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 2nd Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 35,167 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    bop ancient mariner? Albert Ross?
    frith jaw dropped. Literally not metaphorically. Wtf
    Mhags hugs (and sorry about the cold, I did warn you)
    1) mr l with mrpiano. He usually shops with mr t and is astounded at mr l’s bounty and prices. I showed him the romanesco and explained Fibonacci
    2) unpack then town for lunch with dd2. Dr noodle before her shift at H&M’s
    3) shopping - jeans, wrangler, considerably cheaper in Tkmax than Debenhams
    4) home for an evening of hygge. Candles, throws, fire, music and pizza. We tried without success to complete a linkword - much hilarity but only 2 right answers
    5) then Bowie and queen while I continued nesbo’s the snowman. It’s my choice for book club on Friday. Am going to do a snowman cheeseboard like on mr l’s leaflet plus dusted stollen and of course carrot sticks. If anyone has ideas of what else snowman themed let me know.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 3rd Dec 17, 7:20 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    villagelife
    Feeling much better yesterday. My head is functioning better.

1. Chat with a friend. Heard all about her holiday to Vienna to see the Christmas markets.

2. Spoke with a neighbour and reminded him that he had agreed to look after my chickens when we are away.

3. Painted a radiator. Been leaving it for DH as he said he would do it!!
    I wanted my hall back so finished it.

4. Went to see Murder on the Orient express with DH. I enjoyed it DH didn't enjoy it quite as much.

5. DS2 played rugby and no injuries. His team won too.

• house elf
    • By house elf 3rd Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 8,167 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Peeps,

1. Got to florist first thing for more wreath supplies, then Costco to exchange a bauble set. Roads empty, so got there and back quickly.

2. Mr W after lunch with £10 off £50 voucher. Got £50 shop down to £20. PYO, offers and voucher. Some nice Xmas food in freezer.

3. Chinese takeaway with friends. Xmas jumpers!

4. Introduced to a couple of new card games.

5. DH has started decorating the dining room and we have a new light fitting.

Have a lovely Sunday
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 3rd Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    A collection:
    1. DD and DGrandson landed. DD tidied for me, and was rewarded with the taking home of various goodies, DGS pumped up my trike tyres. He last did this c. May/June time.
    Over the years, the introduction of dropped kerbs has meant that whacking the trike tyres off kerbs with a resultant drop in pressure is now a rare event.
    However, there is still one kerb undropped on my route into town, and it's the one nearest my house, unless I go the long way round to reach the main road.
    After Christmas I will request from the local council that this is done. If I am to use my self-propelled wheelchair to reach local bus stops it will have to be done. Pushchairs accessing the park opposite my house will benefit too.
    Watch this space.

2. The pleasure of a tidy house, thanks to wonderful DD, all tidying done so efficiently and cheerfully - and sensibly, things relocated where they can be easily found, with a running narrative. 'I'm putting X in Y, Mum, is that okay?'

3. A sort of pleasure out of a darned nuisance. Parcels have gone missing again from Amazon, supposedly left in my garden, when I was actually in to receive them. Amazon have credited my Prime account with yet another free month. I was due for renewal in August, mess-ups over the last year have meant that my Prime subscription will now renew in February. Almost £40 worth of services free.
    If you have Prime and Amazon let you down, do complain, it's worth it.

4. Lunch made for me, and a lovely lunch too, of the juiciest grilled Portobello mushrooms topped with creamy blue cheese. Bliss.

5. Stollen bites shared with DGS, who loves them. Then hearing his cries of joy as he discovered the giant pack of meaty crisps. (However, what are cheese and onion crisps doing in a meaty selection, Walkers? Since when was cheese meat?)

6. Your pleasures, thank you.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 3rd Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,531 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Grrrrrr at smaller sonís taxi person. Hurray for a peer who stands up to this intolerable bullying!

* Quoyeís cyber Monday specials have started to arrive. So much fun to pull them out of the box and think how these new clothes will look on her. She likes pink the most and then purple, hince shopping was geared in that direction. She loves sparkles and glittery things, so sequins on a pink sweat shirt and silvery threads running through a deep plum turtle neck sweater. Iím going to send them before Christmas as she needs them now and last year she was excited for the toys, but clothes...no so much.

* I have contact dermatitis on both hands. From what I donít know. The pleasure is after an Internet lookup for treatments I realized my eczema cream would help. Itís a mid level steroid cream and has made a big difference. That and Benadryl every four hours keep me from scratching myself bloody!
    The only thing I can think of that Iím touching thatís new are the grips for my rented walker. I taped cloth over the handles to see if that will help.

* Steak thatís been grilled to medium rare and saut!ed mushrooms. I explained how to cook the mushrooms to DH...half olive oil, half butter, garlic salt, a fine sprinkling of red chile powder and red chile flakes. Yum! He was so impressed with himself (with good cause as they were delicious) that he announced heís going to the store and buying twice as many mushrooms to cook again this week Teach a man to fish...

* Oldest sonís new bed arrived (birthday present) and he loves it. He was sleeping on a 12 year old temprapedic that had worn out under his weight. (6í4Ē and 250lbs)

* Getting more use to the boot on my foot. It was driving me crazy at first but now itís becoming less annoying. At least Iím now able to be off the couch!!

Frozen poo is easy to clean up had me laughing Lainey!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 3rd Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    mcculloch29

* I have contact dermatitis on both hands. From what I donít know. The pleasure is after an Internet lookup for treatments I realized my eczema cream would help. Itís a mid level steroid cream and has made a big difference. That and Benadryl every four hours keep me from scratching myself bloody!
    The only thing I can think of that Iím touching thatís new are the grips for my rented walker. I taped cloth over the handles to see if that will help.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    One of my FB friends developed exactly the same reaction to the handles on her walker, goodness knows what's in the plastic, but it had her in a real mess. I think she did the same as you as a solution.
    Every sympathy. I am so fortunate, my immune system is very laid back, and doesn't do this kind of thing.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 3rd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 4,690 Posts
    • 28,392 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    100 Comes Up!
    5 Not bothering with the ashes! Engerland are not either!

4 Supper this day is practise snorker fest we are having for christmas lunch. served with creamy chive and cheese mash, leeks, nips of swede and carrot, and onion gravy! Angel of delight for pud, as BoP is out of dotted spick! Leek and potato soup as well!

3 Wired in new network ready for change next week! Changing to T of B as they offered loads for BoP. So name change will occur next week, thinking Myngh at the moment! Or Emperor Rossina! More later

2 Nite could be a quick niff of wobbleades!

Only on thing on our minds now!
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 43,609 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1-999 The estate agent called on Friday morning to say the owners have picked me to buy the house

1000 We took KW to have a look at the outside of it and he loves it too!

1001 KW took us to a Christmas market that he had free entry to (as 'trade') and we had such a lovely time wandering around, and I didn't spend very much at all!

1002 KW bought me the most amazing Christmas present there I can't wait to have it for real and it'll be hard to forget that's what he's giving me

1003 DD's netball team trashed the opposition this morning, 25-3!

1004 Free newspaper in Wrose yesterday

1005 KW bought a fabulous pressie for my parents using Wrose vouchers towards the cost. Hopefully they'll find it funny (it's Welsh ) and tasty (it's booze!)

1006 Free tree bauble to give to my brother courtesy of KW's boss at the Christmas market

1007 The mortgage company are going to sort out the mortgage deal tomorrow (I hope!), they are feeling confident that my accounts all look good.

1008 I have a solicitor lined up as well.

1009 Parents are redoing a room in the house and have no use for a lovely wooden cabinet they made - so we have it awaiting redeployment in the house!

1010 DD and I went to town we're moving to, to see the 'Santa Run' conga around the square! Apparently they had a world record amount of Father Christmases!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 3rd Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Managed to get two runs in this weekend, have clocked up 16km so far for the December Daily Dash - 10k with running club tomorrow...eep. Today was HARD as I had to go and rescue DH from Oxford last night - he fell asleep on the train back from London(!) - which meant 90 mins in the car and getting back in at 2am. At least he enjoyed his night out!
    2. French - took a CEFR level test and came out as a B2, which I'm happy with. Managed to get in 2 hours of light practice this weekend.
    3. Running club Xmas do last night. Only about 35 people turned up, out of about 200, but my mum only started the club a year ago so I feel like it was a win. We raised £160 for local charity, I danced for about 5 hours solid in sky high heels and only spent £8.70 on falafels for the buffet and one small glass of wine from the bar. There was so much leftover food I took 2/3 of my falafels back home and we enjoyed them for lunch.
    4. FOOD. Lunch yummy: leftover salad bits, falafels, hummus, homemade savoury rice. Also made a bulk lentil shepherdless pie for the week which means I won't really need to cook, and some carrot soup for lunches. Woohoo! Grocery spends were £9.50 yesterday, including falafels, and we have enough fruit and soya milk to last so should be a frugal week.
    5. Christmas decs going up tonight. DH and DD will make mince pies - their little tradition. We will put on an xmas movie and they will sort tree and decs whilst I finish off making reusable shopping bags for my MIL. I reeeeally want to finish them off tonight so I can move onto homemade gift 2/4 as the 2nd week of Dec starts!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin