I WILL be Debt Free but need help

I am writing this from Australia - so I hope you will bear with me as my amounts will be in AusDollars, but I cannot find anything similar to this in Australia

My husband and I are pensioners (in age, although I feel quite young in my mind) and we live on a pension. For various reasons and over a period of time I got into debt on a credit card and now owe AD (Australian Dollars) 12,500 (approximately 6,000 pounds stirling).

I am horrified to owe this amount and it weighs on me like a ton of bricks. I've made half hearted attempts to do something about it but have always found myself sliding by thinking that I can pay it back next week and then maybe the week after etc and then paying a little bit and on and on.

Now I have had enough, I want this weight of my shoulder and out of my heart, I don't want to spend my pension money on interest to a bank (and I can't change to an interest free card as apart from our pensions my husband and I have no other income). I do have the benefit that we own our own home so we have no rent. So my bills are rates, insurance, car registration and insurance. telephone, electricity, medical insurance, food etc etc.

I thought that if I had someone who could give me a pat on the back when things go well, and maybe a few kind words and some helpful advice if things go badly for a short time.

Would love to hear from anyone as I travel this journey.

Many thanks.

October 27 - I Owe AD12,500

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have you spoken to the CC company and told them you're in difficulty and only receiving a pension? Also, have you stopped using this CC?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A quick trawl around the internet gives you these links about debt and debt charities. CAP exist here too, and are a free service

http://www.capaust.org/

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/life-events-and-you/indigenous/get-help-with-money
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Hiraeth
    Hiraeth Posts: 55 Forumite
    I haven't spoken to the CC company yet as I would see this as a last resort. I got into debt and I believe I can - little by little get out of it.

If we should hit a hurdle with an expensive unforseen issue then that might be the when I call on the CC company.

I feel confident that I can get the debt paid, little by little. I guess I felt that this would be the sort of forum where I could post how I am going and just get that little bit of encouragement to help me see how well I am doing.

After doing my weekly figures today, and making sure I cut out all rubbish etc that I might previously have bought but not really needed, I found I have AD100. A couple of weeks ago I might have taken have of that and thought I would treat myself. Today I treated myself by paying the full amount off my CC. So I am pleased with myself.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read.

Was AD12,500 - Now AD12,400
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    June,I love your determination,and I believe you will succeed in becoming debt-free.Keep posting,and you will get lots of support.
    I wonder,though,could you not talk to yuor husband?It sounds like a real burden to carry around by yourself,and he would probably be upset that you felt you couldn't share the worry with him.

Good luck from one Aussie to another x
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Hiraeth
    Thank you for the posting, I do appreciate it.

No, I could not talk to my husband about it. Rightly or wrongly I could not bear to see or feel his disappointment in me. I feel I would lose his trust.

Whether this is right or wrong I don't know - but right now its how I feel it has to be. Coping with paying off the debt is going to be enough to worry about, I don't feel I can also worry about his disappointment in me.

I look forward to continued comments, and also am looking forward to my next posting when I will be able to say that I have paid off a little more.

Many thanks.
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi June me again, from your origiomal post! :)

Do you have a monthly payment scheme, Ie money going into your credit card each month to pay it off?

I would recommend writing up a state of affairs, that covers all of your incomes and outgoings, that way you see exactly how much disposable income from your pension you have. If you don't have any you know you need to start by cutting back on things to have money to pay off the credit card :)

I'm off to work in a minute but I shall write up so,e more information in more detail when I am home :)

Aaron
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Ps: here is my debt diary if you want to have a look

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5435104

Aaron
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • I'm just starting my journey too June. Just wanted to wish you luck - everyone on here has been so encouraging
    Oct 2016 current unsecured debt £14461.31
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Glad to see you have started your diary June. I wonder if there is something else you can find to do to make a little extra and pay the debt down quicker?

You are retired as you say. Could you get a paper round, a lot of pensioners do that here. Are you quite active outside the home anyway? Just thinking of what you could tell your husband if he wanted to known what you were up to.
    Other jobs that might work, a couple of shifts in a coffee shop, or the classic checkout work in a supermarket.

I don't know if you are crafty at all but finding fairs where you could sell some work would get you a few quid too.

All just thoughts.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Hiraeth
    Hello Aaron, thank you for your posts they are appreciated, thanks also for the debt diary link. I will look at it later today as I feel this may be a help.

Hello Worriedabout.... good luck on your journey. It does make a difference to be able to write things down and to get some response. Makes me feel not so alone. I will follow your journey too and offer support in return.

Bob - thanks for the posts. I had actually thought of looking for a part time job. We are in a small rural community so paper rounds and coffee shops are out and the small supermarket have no positions even for shelf fillers. Also we don't have 'fairs' within a 2000 kilometre radius so that is out. However - I am crafty ........ so I may give a think to the things I can do and look at ebay as an alternative. Thank you for that suggestion.

Thank you everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport