"Start wherever you are and start small"

Comments

• I've been approved for the loan. Once it hits my bank I'll phone up car finance people to settle the PCP.

Then i will have the figures in front of me and can start tackling. I hope I've done the right thing.
    Never underestimate the ability of what you can achieve.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
    :grinheart
  • Good news on the loan
    I'm missing your wonderful quotes?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • "Act as if what you do makes a difference- It does".

I've been a busy bee today but I'm honestly finding it hard to get back into a routine. This incudes school routine, work routine, life routine etc. The quote I've found above kind of relates to many aspects of my life.

Work is a big one- Sometimes you feel like you strive to do your best and it isn't always appreciated by others. But it's the small simple gestures that really mean the most. A lot of people expect a lot from you without much give or compromise from their side, they expect a quick fix from you. It doesn't always work like that. Or they dont appreciate what you actually do. It's the ones whom don't expect much whom make your working day worth it.

Also in regards to relationships with others. Ive spent so long sometimes making an effort for others to end up with nothing in return- not even friendship. I've come to realise it's the little things you do that matter the most and if people really cared about you, they understand that you may not always be free and sometimes life gets in the way. But that's okay.

And I guess I can relate to this in terms of budgeting as well. Each small payment makes an overall difference. Each person has come from different walks of life and have their problems and reasons behind the issues they face today. But who are we to judge?

On that note I've not much else to say.

As today was so hectic I ended up with a Subway lunch for £3. I could have just waited until I got home but in that time I sat with my new colleagues and got to learn alot and talk with them. I felt happy and relaxed and that's what matters.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
  • "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us".

This quote is definitely true. I think it's time I let go of some of my past. I hate to admit but sometimes I can't even see past previous life events- I sometimes feel like I'll never experience these again. I know I will. I'm still in contact with a person from a previous relationship and it's unfair to both sides. It's more this person is trying to have his cake and eat it- I'm allowing this though and I shouldn't be. I think I'm going to slowly withdraw myself from the situation and have a good think about what I really want from myself. I think the worst part is this person gives me minute amount of hope that things may have been like there were or what could have been. It isn't healthy for my mind set. I don't know what it will take for me to cut this person off. We've been through it all, arguments, no contact, new relationships etc and somehow we always end up back at square one. You both want one another (or so it seems) but it doesn't materialise. It's time for new things I think.

---

Today will be quite busy. Ive a work related course to attend this afternoon. I'll nip home for lunch before I go.

I'll probably pick my son up around 5ish and hoping weather stays nice so we can go for a walk together. I'll get some exercise and headspace and it's quality time together.

All my direct debits have now gone out of my bank account. Tonight I will transfer money to my spends accounts and allocate it to each category.

I also need to check my rota for upcoming month and plan some things around this. I need an equal balance of work and play to keep myself sane.

I think I may book some extra shifts at work when my son is at his dads- I can then put half towards savings and half towards debt repayments.

My loan money should be in my bank by Friday. I'll probably make my first overpayment to that next Friday after I've done some overtime.

I feel a little bit crazy sometimes.

Over and out.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
  • Afternoon!

On my lunch break now then off to collect some work related items then a training course. It turned out yesterday it was cancelled but noone thought to tell me. I hate it when that happens.

I've been quite naughty and the past few days bought lunch out at £3 a pop. So that's £9 of unnecessary spends but I've been eating whilst out on the job. I'll be reigning that in soon enough. I think I've done it more so to get to know people in the office and it seems the norm. I don't want to get into that habit.

The loan money is now in my bank. I just need to phone up the car finance people to settle it all. It feels weird seeing such a large amount in my bank account. I definitely don't have the inclination or urge to spend it.

My son has his hobby this afternoon. Ill meet his grandparent who's taking him afterwards.

To be honest although I'm glad to settle into my new team I've found the work week quite draining because I've been shadowing rather than being active. I'm not used to it. Plus I've been having early starts and haven't slept well.

Tonight shall be an early night. I need to have some me time and relax.

I also need to put petrol in my car. I usually fill up to the top to last me the month but think I'm going to do £15 a time and see how many miles I get until I need to refill.

Overall I need to get myself organised and know what I'm working and where I stand.

I have an extra shift booked for the weekend and I've opted to do another extra for the end of the month.

I guess that's all for me today. I can't wait until bed time to be honest. I have low energy levels right now.

Maybe it's time for a coffee.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
  • JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us".

This quote is definitely true. I think it's time I let go of some of my past. I hate to admit but sometimes I can't even see past previous life events- I sometimes feel like I'll never experience these again. I know I will. I'm still in contact with a person from a previous relationship and it's unfair to both sides. It's more this person is trying to have his cake and eat it- I'm allowing this though and I shouldn't be. I think I'm going to slowly withdraw myself from the situation and have a good think about what I really want from myself. I think the worst part is this person gives me minute amount of hope that things may have been like there were or what could have been. It isn't healthy for my mind set. I don't know what it will take for me to cut this person off. We've been through it all, arguments, no contact, new relationships etc and somehow we always end up back at square one. You both want one another (or so it seems) but it doesn't materialise. It's time for new things I think.

---

My goodness I'm in this exact situation at the moment with my ex, we only split in May but we stopped contact then he got in touch poured his heart out, told me he missed me wanted to date again see how it went and we just seem to be bobbing along no commitment as such and it's hurting but I'm hanging on for dear life... It's so hard to let go.. but sometimes we have to, to help ourselves and the situation...

Hope you can have a chilled out evening and sleep well tonight..

Welly x
    :wave:
  • The worst thing is Welly, is that I know what I have to do (cut contact) but it's just doing it. It's like I have a fear. It's been over two years since we were together properly and since then have had periods of no contact, arguments, new relationships with others etc. Yet somehow come back to talking. For my own mental health I need to truly go no contact which I plan to do and I'm not even going to say goodbye this time. I'm just going to dissappear and cut all forms of communication. Apparently this shall be unfair of me and I should at least say goodbye. We've said goodbye so many times and along the lines said hello again and got back into the viscous cycle.

He apparently still cares because he wants me to he happy and find someone. Some people just can't understand I'm happy being alone at this moment in time. I'd rather learn to love myself first before getting into a relationship with someone else and work on improving my trust/faith/openness with others first.

Todays the final working day of the week in my new job. I'm exhausted. I think more mentally than physically.

I've a few things planned for the weekend. I should slowly be getting back into my routine from next week.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
  • JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's so hard isnt it.. its like missing the routine, like a crutch.. I too need to work on myself I've been seeing a councellor which has helped alot and I guess the main problem is myself.. I hate myself, I over think, over analyze it all, beat myself up in my head about everything my life, how I look.. all sorts...

but things will get better for us both I'm sure :)

I hope you have enjoyed your first week in the new job even if it's been tiring for you :) hope you have a good weekend..
    Welly x
    :wave:
  • I've finally managed to get onto the laptop. I usually use my phone to update whenever I can.

I've been umming and aahing over trying out YNAB however noticed they were offering 3 months free trial so thought I would try it. There is definately alot I need to get my head around on there though. I am not quite sure it is for me just yet but I will attempt to use it for the next three months and see how I go. I understand a lot of people say it changes the way they think and spend their money. We'll see.

Today I'm going to have spend the day chilling out with my son. We have had a busy week and I think it has caught up on us quite a bit. Tonight we are off to watch a show which we will take our own food to eat. My son was getting excited over purchasing popcorn there and wanted to use his money for this. I've said instead of paying £3.50 for some naff popcorn, we will take a walk to the shops and buy some which will work out much cheaper and show him how to save money wisely (if you get what I mean). I understand sometimes its nice to enjoy yourself and buy things when out however they overcharge extortionately and the pennies add up.

I have set up a new budget for the rest of September (now most of my direct debits have come out) and have set up a budget for the following month based on my outgoings. At the moment I am so tempted to just use my savings to pay off the amount to my credit card and to family member. At least then I would not have to worry about this 'debt' and can then concentrate on paying off my loan over the next few years.

The savings I do have are my emergency fund/safety net/house deposit fund. Its taken me quite a while to build these up and I wish to carry on doing so.

I've also been thinking about other ways I can make some extra money aside from overtime. I think I am going to check out the challenges board and see what people suggest. Every little helps and all that. I sometimes wish I had the skills to start up my own business to work from home, however my background doesn't have many transferable skills in that sense that I can think of (healthcare/nursing) unless I am being totally stupid.
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
  • So I've just done something pretty insane for me haha!

I've paid off the full remaining balance of my 0% credit card, £500.

I've also paid off the family member, £750.

And I've just settled my car finance using the loan I've took out, £11511.83.

My only debt now is the loan which I took out of £11600. However with the interest over four years (3.3%), the total amount repayable comes to £12395.87. This is alot better than the 6.4% APR interest I was paying on car finance in which 3 years time I would of had a balloon payment of around £5800.

I feel a bit weird now to be honest, one because my savings have taken a hit and I really dislike that, but in other ways I feel relief. I know my credit card was 0% interest however it was just bugging me. I have one debt now in which I hope to tackle before the four year repayment term as well as build up my savings.

Here's to the future, debt tackling and being debt free :D
    current debt
    £534.00/£12395.87
    since September 2016.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business