Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Took about 5 days to call us but then I've not been in so they have called back several times. I've yet to be able to speak to them but have about 10 days left before disconnection
  • latecomer
    Options
    Had a call back today while I was working from home. Cut a long story short I've been offered everything I currently have for £16 a month:

TV M
    phone XL with multi-talk add on for mobiles etc
    BB 50Mbps
    And a new router

Engineer is booked for friday afternoon to try and resolve the broadband and he should have a look at the Tivo box too.

I mentioned I'd signed up for the Sky offer via MSE and after she checked whether it was connected or not we discussed offers. We've been with them for 9 years so she said it was much better to give loyal customers a good deal then to lose them.

I was told I'd get everything in writing so wont count my chickens until I see that but I'm pretty happy. Need to try my hand with O2 now :D
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    I'm now out of contract with Virgin so after a bit of advice on how to negotiate.

Package we had is for BB, TV and phone with free weekend calls.

It worked out at just under £40 a month for the first 12 months but then went up almost £20 with the introductory offer expiry and annual increase.

Happy with everything we've got but really want to get it back to under £40 so can I just phone up and ask to be put through to retention's immediately or do I have to call their bluff and actually cancel and hope someone contacts me before the cancellation goes ahead?
  • latecomer
    Options
    You need to cancel before you get to speak to retentions and you need to wait for them to call. You can sometimes get a decent deal just by speaking to customer services once you've gone through the menu selecting you are thing of leaving but the best come from retentions.
  • anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Latecomer
    is £16 a month including line rental?
  • latecomer
    Options
    Apparently it does! I'll wait until I see the paperwork before I fully believe it to be honest - hopefully it will be emailed tomorrow so I can check it over
  • anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Apparently it does! I'll wait until I see the paperwork before I fully believe it to be honest - hopefully it will be emailed tomorrow so I can check it over
    if its true then that is by far the best deal ive ever seen on here!
    i thought mine(almost same deal) at £25 was a bargain
    hopefully its true for you, and useful to know as my parents are looking for a better deal with VM
  • Jaffa_cake
    Options
    bazray wrote: »
    Does that £19.99 a month include line rental ?

That is the sum total of my payment.
    No extra.
    The line rental is in there.

Jaffa
  • latecomer
    edited 19 October 2016 at 10:52AM
    Options
    anderson8 wrote: »
    if its true then that is by far the best deal ive ever seen on here!
    i thought mine(almost same deal) at £25 was a bargain
    hopefully its true for you, and useful to know as my parents are looking for a better deal with VM

Well I've just had the confirmation email regarding the line rental saver being paid by me for the following year which I was told to expect (same as last year) but no charge should go on the credit card.

I did go over the details several times just to make sure we both had the same understanding so I'm hopeful as I've never had a problem with something thats been offered by retentions - probably because I do my best to make sure I've checked every aspect of the offer prior to agreeing. Bit OCD when it comes to spending my money :D

EDIT: Note that I cant stress enough being prepared for the call with alternative deals. The MSE sky deal was that I discussed (half price line rental and free broadband), making sure I included the unlimited calls add on to make the package the same as what I have with Virgin so it was a direct comparison.
    Remember that they dont owe you anything and try to keep the discussion pleasant. Its not helpful to get annoyed/angry - if you are not getting anywhere just tell them you want to think about it and ask them to call back and you will probably get someone else next time.
  • Singh_87
    Options
    Hi everyone, many thanks to all for posting their tips and the deals they have received.

I was clearly getting taken advantage of by Virgin Media - I was paying around £110 per month for L TV, Calls only free on weekend, Sky sports and movies, Box nation, Asian Mela TV, and also 70mb broadband.

I called customer services yesterday to try and negotiate - I was offered everything the same (but without Box nation as I don't need it), for £75 per month for first 6 months, as they would be giving sports and movies half price for 6 months.

Or, I could upgrade to XL TV (including BT Sport) and 200mb broadband for £90 p/m.

I said to her that I would think about it and call back. I called back today, and the adviser on the phone just accepted that I wanted to cancel it, and didn't try to offer a better deal. So, now my cancellation is set up.

Ideally, I want to stay with VM, so will try and wait for a call from retentions team. However, I am a bit nervous that with the MSE Sky offer expiring on Friday, that I won't be able to negotiate a great deal. Any advice how to proceed anyone? Do I, wait and see if rententions call back and see what they offer. Or do I call them back myself after I have now cancelled, but it seems the upper hand will be with them then? Thank everyone!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback