PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what veggie meals can i use my slow cooker for??

Options
CAZBEAR
CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
edited 24 May 2016 at 6:08PM in Old style MoneySaving
hi
i am looking for vegetarian things to make in my slow cooker which i bought on a whim and is now gathering dust in a corner of the kitchen!! i've done the usual vegetable casseroles and also risotto, but most recipes seem geared to meat-eaters eg pulled pork/chicken etc ..Ideally i'd like some recipes that i can bung in and leave for 8 hours or so ....thought all you thrifty types would maybe have a few ideas..
also i'm a s/w member so the healthier the better!!
thanks in advance:)
If you haven!t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Best headline ever on local paper??
"Weight loss group doubles in size"

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Curries using pulses would be a god bet, eg dhals. Just stick it all in and the flavours should be well blended by the time you get back from work. Make sure you pre-soak or boil kidney beans for the required time first, though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Great, timely thread for National Vegetarian Week!

There's an old list of cheap Vegetarian recipes on the Old Style Recipe Index Vegetarian section.

And the Slow Cooker Collection where you'll hopefully find something you'll like.

And here's the full Squeaky's Old Style Index Collection.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'll probably have to do the walk of shame off the board for saying this but...

I found a lot of veggie dishes tasted very 'samey' when done in the slow cooker. I gave up in the end and went back to using my Dutch oven.

I gave the SC to my nephew as he used a lot of cheap cuts of meat in his student days.
    :hello:
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got rid of my slow cooker too. Was great for doing meat dishes, but now just me (vegetarian), was taking up too much space as it was never used. Perhaps it would be good for pulses, but find it quicker to do them in my pressure cooker if using dried.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    National Vegetarian Week!

A whole week?

I'd struggle to eat a whole one in one day ... but I guess, if I have to, then I can stretch it to eating a whole one over a week.

Do they go off, or will it still be OK after 7 days?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I love my slow cooker in fact I have 3 but other than vegetable chilli and the odd soup or stew I use them for baking or making yogurt & sauces as I prefer my meal veg to be steamed or roasted for taste & texture.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rice pudding and mushy peas. Like others on here I don't think vege food is good in the slow cooker.
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Standard making fun of people who decide they don't want to eat anything dead... I will never understand why people find this funny... sigh...

I don't use my slow cooker much in the summer but love it in the winter for soups and veggie cawl, curry, bolganaise, chilli, and things like this that I can't remember.
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rdone wrote: »
    Standard making fun of people who decide they don't want to eat anything dead... I will never understand why people find this funny... sigh...

I don't think any harm was meant by the poster. It was just a joke.

I mean, we have donut day, cheese week, potato appreciation days, chocolate fests etc.... all foodstuffs.... so the joke was about eating a vegetarian in 'vegetarian week' just like eating lots of chocolate or whatever.

I've had loads of ideas for veggie stuff from here over the years - no one bats an eyelid. Very veggie friendly.
    :hello:
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well when people think it's funny and okay to harm other living creatures I lose all humour. I find the post offensive.
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills