PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bit upset. Just got told off for adding up my groceries

Options
I'm embarrassed as anything, and if you saw my first post you will know that I am attempting to re over from severe anxiety!

So I have been taking control for just a few days, needed some food for the weekend, checked what was left in my budget and went to aldi on the way back from school.

In there I lost count of how much id spent so pulled my trolley out of the way, and used my calculator on my phone to re add everything.

Cue horrible woman, tutting and glaring at me ( I assume I was in her way ) and as she walked of she turned and said 'if you are so broke you have to add it up live off your fat for a while'

Just exactly the boost I needed NOT!

I realise its her problem, not mine, but comments like that knock you back:(

Just wanted to tell someone and its amazing how open you can be on a forum.

Cheel xx
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    What a nasty woman!
    Good for you for going back to your original plan and stopping to add up. Hopefully you will never have to clap eyes on her ever again. I know what you mean though, things like that leave you shaking for a while!
    How lovely is it to have this friendly forum to come to for a bit of comfort?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The way I always think about things like this is:

"Thank God I don't have to spend any time with that obnoxious trout".

Can you imagine having to share breakfast with her every morning? So whilst her insult was cruel and upsetting I would be grateful that she is not my neighbour / friend / relative / work collegue etc.

Although, personally I would have given her a mothful about how ill-mannered she was. Although similing, blowing a kiss and winking usually throws people too when they say something rude.
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou. Rosie and spider, it's nice to be able to post here.

Lol spider a wink and a kiss? That would have been perfect!!! Going to remember that, and if I'm ever brave enough to do it I'll be so proud of myself ;)
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some people are just looking for confrontation.

I had the unfortunate experience of knowing someone that openly admitted it.

I think the above suggestion of a smile and a wink is such a good idea and would take the wind out of the sails of someone like that.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't know about a wink and a kiss, I would have used several of my 'special words'.... #$*€$¥ ;)

B-alls to her Cheel - it's your life, Don,t let the bar stewards get to you xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I add up as I go too. Nothing to worry about and I don't think out of the ordinary. I round each item to the nearest 50p just for ease of calculation and do it in my head figuring out how much I've got of my budget of £25 left. At the end the final price that I'll be charged at the till should be within a pound or two of the estimate in my head.

If I shopped without adding up I what would I do if it came to £30 or even £35? I've only got £25 to spend. Asking for excess items to be taken off at the till is far more embarrassing.

What she said is out of order....
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect the issue was that you were in her way. It wasn't your size or what you were doing .... she was just annoyed and then annoyed at you. When annoyed, people will open their mouths and pick the most targetted/obvious identifier in order to voice their anger.

If you'd been carrying a stick she might've said "Not sure why you're adding that up, all the benefits you must be getting you can well afford it".

If you'd been anorexic with 2 items in a basket she might've said "Not sure why you're adding that up, are you totally thick?"

Angry and upset people have to shop too - and so we need to ensure that we're not likely to be the victim of a random verbal attack by somebody who is annoyed by us that then picks on the most visually obvious feature for them to hang their insult on.

Top tip: Keep away from people..... they can be 4rses.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are on a budget and lose track on the way round, put what is important thgough the till firtst, most tills have a running total as each item is put through so all you have to do is watch it and say something to the till lady that you have only brought a certain amount o money with youi and you are getting near it.

The kiss and the wink is a brilliant idea, I will use that ha ha
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    People can be so nasty!!! if it wasn't your weight it would have been your hair colour/skin colour/choice of clothes etc.

What a miserable unhappy person she must be, to feel the need to speak to you like that. It says a lot about her if you think about it.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Vile manners. I wouldn't go down the route of being rude back, but the kiss and wink sound good. It does get easier to add up as you go round, or if you use a list, mark the price next to the items as you pick them up. I do find that I lose count sometimes when I have to do other calculations, like whether apples or oranges are a better buy, deciding which I fancy, and price per fruit, etc. My maths ability isn't that great, but rounding up makes it easier. If you get in a bit under a tight budget, even if it's only 5p, put it aside, and use the accumulation as a treat fund. If you have to go a bit over, cut it off the following week if possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure