Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 1,835Posts
    • 12,331Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 21
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So the wardrobes are down I worked this morning but have just managed to get them down in about half an hour. Not bad going seen as the filly sools who lived here before bought ones that were too big and could only have made them upright in situ anyway, gone forever and bedroom looks like it's had an extension pulled top layer of wallpaper off at same time as it was terribly dusty.

Productive week continues. If only I didn't have to work it rather gets in the way

Just stopped for a slice of hm quiche for lunch, rest will go in freezer in a minute, portioned. Have also made pineapple chutney (from OOD frozen pineapples) and a litre a blackberry liqueur. Trying to find some small bottles that don't cost the earth (or are indeed free ) to decant it into for gifts.

Going to make a cake now before I get in with vacuuming upstairs.

DH got paid and was more than expected so repaid 2 'pots' that I'd overspent on and also paid some to LPDF. Also did a big cupboard shop yesterday as DH has increased discount at the moment so will save us in the long run, didn't go too mad. Also got a Christmas present that was half price to put away. Must update my list.

Right must get on otherwise I'll stay here all day.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 34,216 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sounding good...especially that liqueur..
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 10th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lovely day out yesterday, all paid for as a treat by others. Something I had wanted to do for a looong time. Was very special I spent £5.50 on two drinks, but given that travel, food, drinks and entertainment were paid for it was a small price to pay

Managed to strip 2 walls of wallpaper today in bedroom DH had also started in the hall when I got back yesterday, I didn't think the wallpaper made too much difference, but wow - it's brighter already Am WFH on Tuesday and Thursday and I might do an hour each day on whats left, which should break the back of what's left. We're just going to paint the hall, so no need to have that plastered. But will look much fresher.

Food spends still under control and freezer still surprisingly full No exercise managed this weekend, although did manage to activate my tracker 6 of the 7 days last week due to the amount of walking I have been doing. I would like 2 runs this week. Pay day Friday, so am keeping things tight until then and anything left will be swept to LPDF.

Need to work out how best to stash clothes that are in big chest of drawers to get space back in bedroom. Maybe see how many plastic boxes I have left after local nearly new childrens sale this weekend - which reminds me, I must label for that this week Will have to make it in the loft tomorrow.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Is it only Monday

Managed to get in loft though, albeit I've not labelled anything, just piled it up in the lounge. Baby steps

Did manage a £3 survey with free sample and it'll be another £3 for follow up. Will likely find a couple of things to list on fleabay whilst doing the stuff for the sale.

Could be worse for a Monday.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,595 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    PF - I am in awe of how much you always have going on but you're always getting on with it. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get new windows and doors but don't know if I could manage the disruption.
    Pleased you had a good weekend.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Sep 17, 4:32 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    PF - I am in awe of how much you always have going on but you're always getting on with it. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get new windows and doors but don't know if I could manage the disruption.
    Pleased you had a good weekend.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Hey cat thanks for popping by. TBH when we had some of our windows replaced last year it was a breeze. We didn't even have to take the blinds or curtains down they were in and out in no time. If your house needs them and budget stretches, I would definitely go for it. We're just waiting for a final quote for a porch and then we'll decide whether we have the rest of the Windows done or a new porch. They will both need doing at some point, so hope porch quote is favourable so we can stretch to both this year as our dining room window is definitely drafty
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Sep 17, 4:39 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Lack of sleep due to wind, it's blowing a gale out there, so I've got some coffee and done some meditation

I've made the last payment in this years budget. (May seem odd but I work in financial periods, as that how I get paid) so it makes sense for my budget to align with my work cycle so it starts again when I get paid in the first period, which is Friday just need to double check the budget for coming year, it will obviously be tweaked along the way but we have set some ambitious targets around saving and debt repayment and I want to double check my sums, particulate as I've taken out a 3rd share save at work which has reduced my income slightly (but increased my savings and possible return on investment )

Inspired again by Brizzle I'm going to track my savings % per month and see how we get on

Not much else to report, been pulling bits of paper off the hall wall every time I go past - didn't get any time to do some yesterday as I had so much work on, I'm slightly more hopeful for tomorrow, shame that doing it now would wake people
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Productive day considering the early start work is fairly pants to be honest, not helped by lack of sleep. Would like to tell them to do one, but that's just not in the life plan. How many incompetent people do I have to chase/ explain how to do it correctly/ wonder how they ever got a job, let alone get out the house daily

Manage to label pretty much everything apart from some stuff that needs hangers for sale. Need to hunt in loft tomorrow for some. So that's positive, plus stash to one side for friends LO. Let's hope a chunk sells which will be good for the coffers and reduce the amount going back in the loft.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So sale was good, found a bag of toys night before which manage to label too sold my buggy at last too. Went to a lovely couple which made the parting slightly easier

Got rid of loads and sorted out what I've bought back. Also spent the day on my feet so easily managed 12.000 steps got lunch and drinks provided so spent £1 on cake (for charity so that's allowed ) and a few bits from sale, but nothing ridiculous, some for present box too.

Currently got a chicken carcass from roast in sc with a poorly leek, 2 bendy carrots and frozen broccoli stalk risotto for tea tomorrow

Did big payday shuffle last Friday, including the start of my new budget year spreadsheet. Pots all looking healthy and DH and I please with repayment level on loan, much higher than planned, let's hope that continues.

Must contact $ky as deal ends this month and I don't want to get stung with increase, need to swap energy supplier too as Ours have turned out to go from great to useless. Got a free DVD with $ky (thanks cathT) for the tip off

Also got letter about btl, mortgage doesn't end of ages but need to think about plan for that, would like to go part and part on mortgage, may call on Tuesday when WFH to see what that might look like.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 18-09-2017 at 9:26 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 12,331 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So called $ky, deal ran out today but you pay in advance so higher amount already gone out. Hmm. Anyway negotiated decent deal, will save £8 a month from previous deal price, so happy with that. I know some would say we shouldn't have it, but we have a very good deal on it. V long story, that we wouldn't get elsewhere so as it's a main source of entertainment (don't have sitters etc so can't go out in evening) so it's definitely our entertainment

I also placed order worth about £50 to me in profit for small biz

Done a utilities check, not sure any are worth swapping to as cost of current is apparently competitive. So may have to stick. Hmm.

Lovely risotto with chicken stock, meaning I didn't have to play freezer Tetris today

Made hummus with last of frozen chickpeas, need to soak an freeze some more and add tahini to shopping list

Updated my admin book tonight and drew (in the loosest sense of the word ) plan of both gardens and what I want to take out and move to where (and buy - will go on my Christmas wishlist though) just need last of conifer mountain to go in next round of brown bin collections so I can then fill it up with other stuff
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin