Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hears she was a bit sexually suggestive today during PMQ, havnt watched it yet but I did vomit a bit in my mouth at the though

Took me right back to pigate YUK
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Have the Scots consulted the EU yet to see if they are agreeable. Words count for nothing.
    They were consulting with them today actually.
    Aleix Sarri Camargo ‏@aleixsarri 6h6 hours ago Packed room in Scotland's house in Brussels to listen to the Scottish government vision on its relation with the EU after Brexit.
    CvJWsO-WEAAe0WX.jpg
    ScotGovEurope ‏@ScotGovEurope 8h8 hours ago .@FionaHyslop & @Feorlean meeting EU lead Brexit negotiator @GuyVerhofstadt for another positive discussion on Scotland's place in Europe
    CvI8OnXWEAAzoEI.jpg
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    Even other cabinet ministers who worked with May when she was in charge of the Home Office found her a bit of a closed book.

It's just words. She might even inform all right, but with all the minor details. I think Sturgeon would have preferred to hassle Cameron. May is a steely character. She gave someone the death stare today during PMQs.

Sturgeon should get a bit of respect what with her being the First Minister of Scotland and all. As should the leaders of the Wales, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. Being viewed as 'hassling May' but getting minor details kind of says it all as far as Scotland and the other devolved areas are concerned.

* Tricky remember those afterthoughts we were chatting about ?
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
  • islandannie
    Options
    Sturgeon should get a bit of respect what with her being the First Minister of Scotland and all.

Of course she should, but please let,s wait until the high level discussions about our future within the EU. "which are to be held in a chippy somewhere in Ayrshire yet to be named" have been concluded before she gets her respect.
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - Albert Einstein.

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.”-

Orwell.
  • .string.
    .string. Posts: 2,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    Even other cabinet ministers who worked with May when she was in charge of the Home Office found her a bit of a closed book.

It's just words. She might even inform all right, but with all the minor details. I think Sturgeon would have preferred to hassle Cameron. May is a steely character. She gave someone the death stare today during PMQs.

Yes From what I've seen so far, May is made of the right stuff for us as a leader at the moment. I much prefer her at the helm than Cameron with whom I had no great problem but May seems more assertive.

On the leak question, I suspect there will be a lot of leaks. The European Parliament is apparently going to be kept fully informed, and, according to Davis the UK Government even more so, then there's all the others Prime Ministers and their people. So we can probably expect a lot of information and a lot of misinformation. We are already getting the latter in my opinion. Eventually we won't know what to think until the end.

In the context of the negotiations I would expect Surgeon to be kept informed but the trouble is that she can't be trusted to work on behalf of the UK. In terms of the side show of, potentially, an illegitimate SNP "referendum", she might indeed get spoon feed only information that is not sensitive in case she leaks it.

I think the biggest problem will be the inability of the European Commission to act "outside the box", needing the nod or otherwise from member states before they can change their stance. I've met this sort of thing in negotiations myself and they can be very annoying and time consuming.

On the BBC news today it was stated that Australia was keen to have a new arrangement with the UK immediately after Brexit (*). I suspect this sort of thing will grow and will have some sort of effect on negotiations (could also affect Natland trade too). The Australians have nice wine and food (beef was cited) relevant to a reduction of imports from Europe. At the moment our butcher in the village sells Scottish beef, although local products are picking up a bit lately. Such trade issues matter a lot and could well influence the extent to which we can access the single merger (and vice versa).

(*) I think we should encourage such increased trade to pick up now, rather than wait for Brexit even though we can't formalize it in a treaty while we are in the EU..
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps Nicola will confide in the EU 'leaders' what she refuses to tell the voters of Scotland : what currency will Iscotland use?
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2016 at 9:18AM
    Options
    Sturgeon should get a bit of respect what with her being the First Minister of Scotland and all. As should the leaders of the Wales, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. Being viewed as 'hassling May' but getting minor details kind of says it all as far as Scotland and the other devolved areas are concerned.

* Tricky remember those afterthoughts we were chatting about ?

A woman who has

- repeatedly threatened the outcome of the UK wide democratic vote
    - telling the UK government that she will do whatever she can to stop Scotland leaving the EU
    - who calls the current UK government xenophobic

expects respect from people she disrespects?

That particular street is two way. To me it looks like May is treating Sturgeon with the respect due to the post of First Minister and in due course Sturgeon will be heard and the views of the Scottish government (well, at least Nicola) will be taken on board. But lets not pretend that Nicola Sturgeon is going to be calling the shots at this show, or that Nicola will be told what's going on after her voice has been heard.

I would imagine the May and the UK government might make an issue out of back channel talks with Scotland whilst Junker and Tusk have stuck rigidly to their no negotiation before article 50 rule. And the UK government would be right to do so. Scotland isn't independent at the moment, and the EU shouldn't be speaking with them. As others have stated this puts Nicola in a difficult position because now you don't know if you can trust her in negotiations, she doesn't appear to be 'on our side'. No surprise.

If people are not told anything about the Brexit negotiations, it'll be down to two things in my opinion.

1. That you wouldn't want the opposite negotiating team to know what you want and what you'll give up.

2. You cannot trust a particular senior politician in your own country to keep tight lipped, that probably goes for other politicians and civil servants too. But particularly for Nicola Sturgeon.

Nicola only has herself to blame there with the constant rhetoric since June 23rd. Instead of taking a conciliatory tone with regards to the vote and saying she will work together with the rest of the UK for the best deal. She's said some pretty self-damaging things about Brexit and about the governing party in the UK.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would imagine the May and the UK government might make an issue out of back channel talks with Scotland whilst Junker and Tusk have stuck rigidly to their no negotiation before article 50 rule. And the UK government would be right to do so. Scotland isn't independent at the moment, and the EU shouldn't be speaking with them. As others have stated this puts Nicola in a difficult position because now you don't know if you can trust her in negotiations, she doesn't appear to be 'on our side'. No surprise.

If people are not told anything about the Brexit negotiations, it'll be down to two things in my opinion.

1. That you wouldn't want the opposite negotiating team to know what you want and what you'll give up.

2. You cannot trust a particular senior politician in your own country to keep tight lipped, that probably goes for other politicians and civil servants too. But particularly for Nicola Sturgeon.

Nicola only has herself to blame there with the constant rhetoric since June 23rd. Instead of taking a conciliatory tone with regards to the vote and saying she will work together with the rest of the UK for the best deal. She's said some pretty self-damaging things about Brexit and about the governing party in the UK.

Exactly. It's not personal but you can't trust Sturgeon because she intends to use the Brexit issue to advantage a minority section of the UK.

The Brexit issue is important to the whole of the Union. The SNP are not interested in the Union. It's their goal to leave it. So why should the rest of us listen to them?

I'd rather listen to those who have a vested interest in the Union.

A third of Scots are not bothered anyway, so it's not like there is universal love for the EU up in Scotland.

The SNP can hold an informal independence referendum whenever they want. They should get it done now, so we can concentrate on stuff like Xmas.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    Perhaps Nicola will confide in the EU 'leaders' what she refuses to tell the voters of Scotland : what currency will Iscotland use?

It's the pound I will wager.

As a concession the rest of the UK will be allowed to use the pound as well.

We should feel blessed down here.

Given that Scottish delicacy of deep fried McCain pizza, I would be worried if Scotland were indeed at the heart of Europe though. ;)
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options
    They were consulting with them today actually.
    CvJWsO-WEAAe0WX.jpg

CvI8OnXWEAAzoEI.jpg

Oh dear.

Unilateral back channel talks between a region of the UK and the EU moving into UK v EU negotiations.

Probably just put another card in the UK governments deck by doing that.

"Hey you know those illegitimate talks you had with Scotland when you said there would be no talks?"

Wonder what we'll ask for off the back of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure