Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Littlewing went to the BBQ with grandparents.

MIL and MILHe came over, brought cake, and had a good chat while decorating was ongoing.

I went for a lie down while DH was showing some photos to them all. Was finding it hard with a particularly extrovert individual (who is lovely) as I haven't really been able to unwind for nearly a month. I did fall asleep so I feel quite good now.

MIL/MilHe gave DH £40 as they left, which was a lovely surprise.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2016 at 8:13PM
    Options
    BIL & SIL popped round just to borrow D's spare phone....thought they were never going to leave, they were here hours! We were treated to their latest holiday photos, so that was nice....:p Typical when the place looks like a jumble sale (eBay).

Just read WW's post above, apologies if your photos were holiday photos too (re my little sarky comment), not all photos are boring lol!

That was nice of your inlaws to give DH some money. :)
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Hello all!

Excuse me being quiet, I am tracing my family tree with my american friend and very caught up in it. We have traced my dad's side of the family back to the 1400's which is absolutely fascinating. We were always poor, mostly farm hands, printers and market gardeners although there were a few barbers who did surgery on the side in the 1500's!

We have also traced my mother's side which is colourful to say the least, as I was expecting. I will post about it once we have everything in order but it will be in a huge penguin when I do unfortunately.

Hope everyone is ok? Hugs, handshakes and squishes to all!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    WaS that sounds really interesting. I have often thought of it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    I really recommend it, Torry! I keep having surreal moments when I realise I am looking at information about relatives of mine that lived over 500 years ago, it makes the world and time seem small but makes me feel a little insignificant really. My dad's side of the family is huge with many relatives having 7-8 children, the name William which has been passed down through every generation was first used by them in the 1400's as Willim. It is also fascinating to see how the spelling of our last name changed over 100's of years. If you give it a try be warned, it is very addictive!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I would do my dads side as my mums side is being done by a sibling, maybe one day
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have we ever talked about handedness on here. I am strongly righthanded. This is an old article but interesting to me (does talk about susceptibility to eating disorders, so a possible PENGUIN)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-body-image-idUSCOL35372720070413
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today, spurred on by the thought of blackberry vodka. I have combined blackberrying with Gitdog training. If he sits still long enough to let me pick some, he gets to share. Aside from going off piste once or twice to pick his own, he did quite well.
    Never bottled anything before, do you use the screw caps that come with the original bottles?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Been sawing, drilling, hammering and so on and have about 75% of one of the two timber frames I need to build finished. Everything always takes about three times as long as I exepect! :rotfl:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    elsien - I think the screw tops are fine.

Pyxis - yes, I believe you still have to pass Gr5 theory to do anything above Gr5 practical. (Not sure as there may be some exceptions in the jazz syllabus??)
    Pyxis wrote: »
    So, why is it B# and not C, and why Cx and not D? Because that's the rule! One tonic (top and bot) and dominant, two of all other notes!

I know one thing I could ask you that I'd forgotten how to do in my song notation. If you have a double sharp accidental and then want the note to revert to a single sharp within the same bar, how do you write it?
    Is it a natural next to a sharp? Hmmmm. Technically yes, although this is now a bit old fashioned and a single sharp would probably suffice.

And if so, is it still a natural next to a sharp even if that note is a already a sharp due to the key signature? If you are in the same bar, yes, with the caveat above. If you are not in the same bar, the caveat applies even more. AND the grammar is definitely changing, due to the use of Sibelius (music software). Sib assumes that all accidentals are lost at the barline, which is technically what Gr5 teaches. However, in the real world, musicians over 35 years of age are used to having a friendly reminder on most occasions. Those under about 35 are quite used to Sib and so need it less. (But you will still see that in most orchestral and choral parts the performer has added the friendly reminder in pencil!)

The exception is at a barline where there is also a change of key, where only the really intelligent/friendly copyists remind you to cancel the accidental you have had before.

(Sorry, you have pressed a nerd button. I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD in performance instructions!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback