Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Think Lidl might be bringing back there half price offers though says upto 45% off 14/15th, I'm in Scotland.

Simply sumptuous granola, berry/nutty £1.89 now 99p,
    Coconut water was £1.79 now 99p,
    Colombian roast & ground coffee £3.49 now £1.79 (the bags).

May help someone.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I hope so (although none of the items listed would find their way into my basket).

I took 2 mins to answer their online survey recently, and expressed a need for weekend offers to make a comeback if I am to return as a regular Saturday morning shopper. I've mostly shopped at Aldi since they were pulled.

You might be in luck - though not this week, perhaps. Those same offers are on in England as well as Scotland. Same offers, same dates.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I've just enjoyed a bag of baked Pea Snacks (sea salt and vinegar flavour) from Aldi. They are rather moreish and I shall certainly buy a few more bags next time I am in there. (88 cals and 0.2g saturated fat so a reasonably healthy snack) They also do them in a sweet chilli flavour.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Re Lidl Vanilla extract.

I like Vanilla alot, and use alot of it in my baking.

Previously using Dr Otker @ £1.10.

Decided to try Lidl, what a disappointment, flavour is very subtle, texture is runny and appearance pale. Tasted a drop from the bottle and it was disgusting.

Going back to Dr Otker quite happily which has a strong flavour, thicker texture and lovely deep colour. I've never had a problem tasting it from the bottle.

Looking online there is quite a difference in ingredients which probably explains it. I just assumed Vanilla extract was Vanilla extract!
  • thedogsmum
    Options
    Think Lidl might be bringing back there half price offers though says upto 45% off 14/15th, I'm in Scotland.

Simply sumptuous granola, berry/nutty £1.89 now 99p,
    Coconut water was £1.79 now 99p,
    Colombian roast & ground coffee £3.49 now £1.79 (the bags).

May help someone.

Looks like they're calling it 'Super Weekend', rather than half price. W/ending 21/22 Jan, offers are

Amorany Cava Gran Cuvee £3.99 (from £7.49)
    Deluxe Sti it Toffee Pudding 99p (£1.99)
    Deluxe British Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil. 99p (£1.99)
  • glensmen
    glensmen Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    Looks like they're calling it 'Super Weekend', rather than half price. W/ending 21/22 Jan, offers are

Amorany Cava Gran Cuvee £3.99 (from £7.49)
    Deluxe Sti it Toffee Pudding 99p (£1.99)
    Deluxe British Extra Virgin Rapeseed Oil. 99p (£1.99)

Like the old half price weekend, looks like there will be regional variation. In place of the sticky toffee pudding, Scotland has:
    Haggis 454g 59p (was £1.29)
    Shortbread 150g 49p (was 99p)

+ the same cava & rapeseed oil.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Before Christmas I bought a bag of Royal Gala apples, and one of Braeburns by mistake. The Royal Gala ones were delicious, the tiny Braeburns awful.

So I picked up 3 bags of Royal Galas on super-6 offer last week, tried one and it was completely tasteless, and I mean polystyrene tastekess. I found myself thinking that if I had innocently stuck this piece of fruit in a child's lunchbox - as many parents do - I'd feel really guilty. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 14 :o

During the same shop, I picked up a couple of mangos as they were softening (which I usually avoid if it looks like they're not the ripening kind). They were nothing like what a mango should taste like. I usually get lovely kiwi fruit from Lidl, but again stupidly bought from Aldi last week. Even the ones that were soft enough to peel were horrid.

I do not have high hopes for the pineapple.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Before Christmas I bought a bag of Royal Gala apples, and one of Braeburns by mistake. The Royal Gala ones were delicious, the tiny Braeburns awful.

So I picked up 3 bags of Royal Galas on super-6 offer last week, tried one and it was completely tasteless, and I mean polystyrene tastekess. I found myself thinking that if I had innocently stuck this piece of fruit in a child's lunchbox - as many parents do - I'd feel really guilty. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 14 :o

During the same shop, I picked up a couple of mangos as they were softening (which I usually avoid if it looks like they're not the ripening kind). They were nothing like what a mango should taste like. I usually get lovely kiwi fruit from Lidl, but again stupidly bought from Aldi last week. Even the ones that were soft enough to peel were horrid.

I do not have high hopes for the pineapple.
    Don`t say the two pineapples I picked up are going to be tasteless :(
    Will be really unhappy if thats the case.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i would take the apples back if they arent fit to eat they should be told....go on i dare you :p

i also got the apples and they are lovely really nice so you may have got a rogue lot
    onwards and upwards
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    Don`t say the two pineapples I picked up are going to be tasteless :(
    Will be really unhappy if thats the case.

Funnily enough, I sliced up an Aldi pineapple today and it was one of the best I've bought for a while (cheap, too).

I think all supermarket fruit and veg is a bit of a lottery.
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Bought a big bag of assorted toffees from Lidl the other day.
    It was an unknown brand ,but that is common in Lidl/Aldi but reliable quality.
    They were horrible!
    The only edible sort were the mint ones.
    Not only will I never buy more toffees from Lidl it has also dented my confidence in their reliable quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure