Plastic bag latest

Options
FOREVER21
FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
edited 27 October 2015 at 6:26PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Purchased a pair of shoes in Charles Clinkard today and on paying for them was told that there would be a 5p charge for the plastic bag.
I had a reusable plastic bag but the box was too big to fit into the normal grocery type bag.

I said I would leave the box but was told that if I wanted to return the shoes they had to be in a box! so I had no choice, but to pay.

Now I realise it is only 5p, but it led me to think will I have to pay for a bag if I buy clothes from stores?

Surely this is not what was intended with the new rules. How could you be expected to put a coat for example in the reusable grocery type bag.

PS before any of the "green brigade" reply I always take my own bags when grocery shopping and have done for years.
But this I feel is plain silly are we now expected not only to have the normal size bags with us for groceries ,but also the larger size one for clothes?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it's clothes too.

Maybe they think that if you're spending money on a coat, 5p won't matter. I managed to save up a few larger bags before the charge came in, so I can go prepared.

You could always take a suitcase or a bin liner!

Or go in shorts & T-shirt & wear your new stuff home.

Or buy from Primark (free paper bags).

Sainsbury's have some good thick 5p "Bag for life" bags - much better than the usual "torn by the time you get home" single-use 5p bags. Big enough for jeans etc.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the shoes come in a box why on earth do you need to put the box in a bag?
  • FOREVER21
    edited 15 October 2015 at 10:53PM
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    If the shoes come in a box why on earth do you need to put the box in a bag?

Have you tried carrying a shoe box in one hand whilst carrying a plastic bag with groceries in the other! I'm afraid my hand would not stretch around the box.
    You go and try it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    Have you tried carrying a shoe box in one hand whilst carrying a plastic bag with groceries in the other!
    Oh... the plastic bag was full of groceries... that's why the shoe box wouldn't fit in it. I get it now. :D

OP, it looks like you need to take two bags with you in future if you are planning to buy groceries and shoes.

Hope that helps... you'll be able to work out this shopping lark one day. ;)
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think the point is you keep the bag you've just paid 5p for and next time you shop for shoes you use the same bag.
  • FOREVER21
    edited 15 October 2015 at 11:00PM
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Oh... the plastic bag was full of groceries... that's why the shoe box wouldn't fit in it. I get it now. :D

OP, it looks like you need to take two bags with you in future if you are planning to buy groceries and shoes.

Hope that helps... you'll be able to work out this shopping lark one day. ;)

Where did I say I was trying to put the shoe box in the bag with the groceries?
    Nope I had 2. bags, trying to fit shoe box in empty bag, and no your comment did not help.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    This isn't the plastic bag 'latest' Its the plastic bag 'god has this really not sunk in with people yet?'

I don't know many people who purposefully shop for groceries and clothing at the same time, so I can't imagine this issue of having to take a multitude of bags out with you being a huge problem. As a general rule its all plastic bags in larger stores, regardless of what you are buying. Its not a 'grocery bag' initiative, its a 'plastic bag' initiative.

I have a couple of different bags in the back of my car. The hessian/thick plastic "bags for life" I have would all easily accommodate a normal size shoe box. To be honest, even a generic ASDA or whatever carrier would fit a shoebox, so I am guessing these were boots of some sort? If it doesn't fit in one of those, I'll either carry it or crack out the savings and pay 5p for it.

After of course making careful note of the dimensions of my purchase and add it to my collection for further purchases.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I think the point is you keep the bag you've just paid 5p for and next time you shop for shoes you use the same bag.

I think we have found the brains behind this venture! Who would have thunk that eh, clearly not the OP :rotfl:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The shoes would not be able to be returned without the box if it was just a change of mind

If the shoes were faulty and you were returning them, the box is not important. Company policy does not override the law.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    ...I had 2. bags,

Ah... new information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories