🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Accept the future.....

Options
Not sure if its the right place, so apologies if not. After some very painful issues in the "plumbing" department and a corrective operation just under a couple of years ago, my wife says she simply no longer feels the same about the physical side of our relationship. We have kids and we definitely dont want to split up, we are definitely a family and she is my best friend, but she wants to get 2 single beds when we move house. There is no chance of a physical relationship.

We have become closer in a number of different ways over the last 9 months or so during our debt free journey, working together as a team and having laughs, we have got a housework rota for us and the kids, we are buying a home, for all to see we have pretty much the perfect relationship and family.

Its just that behind closed doors the physical side has gone completely, she wants to read a book and get an uninterrupted sleep, no duvet stolen, no nudging during the night, no contact, she says she is too tired and it doesnt feel the same anymore.

I am finding this hard to comes to terms with - we are still in our mid 30's and whether I like it or not, i do feel the need for this side of our relationship. I now dread going to bed and have started sleeping on the couch in a sleeping bag, watching movies or catchup TV into the night.

Do I just need to accept this and make my peace with it? Am I alone? Sorry - just had to get my feelings out there.
Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
:starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
:starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
:starmod::A19/03/16

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Have you explained it's important to you?

It sounds like she's been talking, but have you?

Sex is important in every relationship. Whilst understandable that she is less keen now, and sleeping separately is not abnormal. No intimacy will eat away at your relationship.- unless you go the open marriage route, but that has a million pitfalls.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it you or your wife that had the operation?

Is there at least some affectionate contact between you like cuddles or hand holding?

separate beds do work for some couples especially if one person snores, steals the duvet, lashes out whilst sleeping but separate beds doesn't necessarily mean an end to the physical side of the relationship. Perhaps your wife is genuinely tired and once she starts getting a good nights sleep will feel a bit more energetic.

You're not alone though. I would find it difficult to be in a relationship where there was no physical side to the relationship whatsoever. You're in your 30s and you could easily live for another 40+ years. That's a long time with no intimacy.

You need to talk with your wife, tell her how you feel. There might be an explanation behind her lack of sex drive. She could genuinely feel exhausted or it could have something to do with the way she feels after the operation but communication is key.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst I could sympathise with the non physical aspect, the separate bed scenario seems a little overkill.

Surely snuggling up together in bed is not an issue, I would be more concerned if it came to excuses of duvet pinching or nudging for not wanting to at least sleep in the same bed together.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Separate beds (and ideally separate rooms) is a good rather than a bad thing! I would hate being woken up in the night by OH going to loo etc and would not want cats all over my bed (which OH loves). I also like to spread out and only have a 5 foot bed rather than a king size. Sharing beds in a hotel is OK as beds are normally huge compared with domestic beds, and there are no cats in hotels.
  • Anatidaephobia
    Options
    No sex is one thing (and fair enough if it's painful and/or for medical reasons) but no intimacy at all is a whole separate thing and that's where I would have a problem with this.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    No sex is one thing (and fair enough if it's painful and/or for medical reasons) but no intimacy at all is a whole separate thing and that's where I would have a problem with this.

My thoughts precisely. Cuddling up in bed at night is special to me and can be every bit as intimate.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clearly you are not happy about it (and understandably so). Do you think you could get to the point when you can actually be happy living in this circumstances?

There are two issues here. Wanting separate beds for better sleeping arrangements is fine as long as physical contact takes place at other time than nighttime. Using this as an excuse to give up all physical contact because they attraction is not there any longer is another matter. I personally believe that the moment you give up physical contact, you become just that: friends. Would that be enough?

What your wife is asking you to do is to give up something that is very important to you. Are you prepared to make that sacrifices no matter what? For instance, how would you feel if when you are in your 40s, 10 years of giving up physical closeness, she tells you that she has met someone she is massively attracted to and wants to leave you for him?
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure many men feel your pain and I can imagine your situation is only exacerbated by the medical hurdles you've had to overcome. It's often bad enough with just the passing of time, let alone with medical issues.

It's probably a case of playing the slow game and making small steps to get the closeness back. Surprise her. Take her on dates. Write her little notes she'll find when you're not there. Cook for her. Tell her she's pretty. Go shopping and treat her. Give her a massage. Have a weekend away. Go for a romantic stroll along the beach.

Small steps... all of the above over a period of time might help to ignite that spark you obviously once had.
  • gabriel1980
    Options
    Definitely call it quits. No sex=no relationship. Would she be happy for your to take a mistress for the physical stuff?
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2015 at 11:27AM
    Options
    As a woman who's had a baby and dealt with some complications possibly i would come at this from a different perspective, although my inclination is that it's obviously not something you should just accept as you are not happy about it.

What is the issue? Is it that sex is physically painful and not enjoyable to her? Is it that's she's exhausted and has body issues so just doesn't want sex any more? Is it that she loves you but doesn't fancy you any more and wants to stay together for the children? They are three different scenarios (can't have sex, doesn't feel like having sex, doesn't want sex with you) and I think the advice I'd give would differ based on which one it was. Also is the seperate beds to help her sleep better or to prevent intimacy?

Whatever the reasons honest communication between you is needed. Could you go away overnight somewhere and really talk about things without distractions and be understanding but honest about how you both feel and what you can live with?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family