The Able Group, Lousy Service, possible Breach of Contract?

Options
I phoned them and asked them if they could repair a tilt and turn window. in a rental property some miles from my home and (in which I do not live). They say they can and quote three prices (depending on what work needs to be done) which I agree and furnish my credit card details.

An appointment is made for a few days later. On the morning of the appointment the engineer telephones me and when leaning it is a tilt and turn, says he cannot do it.

I complain to the company and Mr R**** sends me, (to the wrong address), an insulting reply saying they are not charging me and offering 15% discount on future work (as if).

I have asked for reasonable compensation and if I do not get it will take them to court. A complete bunch of cowboys.

D P Dance

I see that the company have complained to Trust Pilot about my naming one of their employees. I have therefore removed his name. It is a pity that Able Group have not dealt with the problem rather than their petty attempts to have it removed.
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Comments

• szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand.

You haven't paid anything, they've said they can't do it and in turn told you they are not charging you and offered 15% off anything in the future, I would imagine as goodwill gesture.

But you want compensation for what exactly?

Seems reasonable to me, I'd just look for someone else to do the work - they haven't taken money off you, so it's not exactly to their gain, is it?
    Professional Data Monkey

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above .
    OP reads like a compo cowboy .
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I am a professional landlord, my time is money. If a company agrees to a contract which it knows it cannot perform then it is guilty of a deceit.

Wasting busy Landlords' time with false promises needs to be discouraged, especially by contributors to a money saving board.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    As already asked, "reasonable compensation" for what?

To be entitled to compensation you must have had a defined loss, so what loss have you suffered?
  • The_Deep
    Options
    Three hours of my time wasted finding an alternative contractor.
  • szam_
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

Good luck taking that one to court for compensation, let alone winning. Pointless endeavor in my opinion.
    Professional Data Monkey

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

As a 'professional landlord' whose 'time is money' surely you should have an on hand list of contractors who can repair the types of windows your properties have.

Three hours? I think you need to get better at sourcing contractors if 'time is money'

They owe you nothing.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    Nothing wrong with my spelling, (I have an M.A. in English Literature), my typing is not so good though.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    szam_ wrote: »
    If you want advice on your rights, ... You should perhaps post this in the consumer rights section.

Thank you but I don't.
  • szam_
    Options
    They owe you nothing.

Funny thing is, I think they've been more than reasonable offering 15% off any other work (that I would assume they CAN do). I'd class that as reasonable compensation. If it's not taken up, then fair enough.

Sometimes these things happen, they thought they could do it and in the end couldn't, so sent that as an apology (I would assume, else why would they send it?). Happens in my business, even I've done it on occasion, thinking I could set something up - but there are hundreds, if not thousands of configuration options to choose from, trying to remember every bizarre scenario would be near impossible.
    Professional Data Monkey

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport