Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 153Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 4:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 1
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 14th May 15, 2:13 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 14th May 15, 2:13 PM
    • 14th May 15, 2:13 PM
    I've only been able to do a quick scan of this (surely pre-existing?) guide and have a couple of observations:
    • no mention of the Travelex Supercard, which had quite an impact on MSE forum posts yesterday
    • no mention of my Nationwide FlexPlus debit card (0% f/x fee for cash) and credit card (0% f/x fee for purchases)
    • fund_manager
    • By fund_manager 28th Jul 15, 4:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    fund_manager
    • 28th Jul 15, 4:15 PM
    • 28th Jul 15, 4:15 PM
    Absolutely agree Roger. I just signed up for the Norwich and Peterborough account and a Nationwide Flexplus. I did Flexplus for all the insurance and motoring benefits, and N&P for the free cash withdrawals, as it wasnt shown on this site that Nationwide does free cash withdrawals too! Makes it an even better deal! Would be helpful if that was shown on her to help with our decision making.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 28th Jul 15, 5:09 PM
    • 28,953 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 28th Jul 15, 5:09 PM
    • 28th Jul 15, 5:09 PM
    ...it wasnt shown on this site that Nationwide does free cash withdrawals too! Makes it an even better deal! Would be helpful if that was shown on her to help with our decision making.
    Originally posted by fund_manager
    The Nationwide FlexPlus account is linked to within the above "travel credit cards" article, where you'll see...

"What's the deal with the debit card and overseas transactions? The debit card with the account has no fee or load for cash withdrawals abroad, making it a leading debit card for overseas use, but still has a 2% charge when using it for overseas purchases, so don't use it for this."
    • book12
    • By book12 18th Sep 15, 4:45 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    book12
    • 18th Sep 15, 4:45 PM
    • 18th Sep 15, 4:45 PM
    New travel credit card from mbna - https://www.mbna.co.uk/compare-credit-cards/low-rate-credit-cards/everyday-plus/
    • pcharleston
    • By pcharleston 28th Oct 15, 2:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pcharleston
    • 28th Oct 15, 2:00 PM
    Creation card refusal
    • 28th Oct 15, 2:00 PM
    Despite a very good credit rating from all three main agencies, I received a declined status on this card - no idea why, wonder if anyone else has this.

Maybe they are watching for people who always repay in full!
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 6th Nov 15, 1:03 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 6th Nov 15, 1:03 PM
    • 6th Nov 15, 1:03 PM
    They recently approved me and I always pay in full.
    Not sure why they'd want that though - they won't make much money off me.

They offered a pretty high limit, but before final approval I had to phone them and they quizzed me about all my other available credit.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Nov 15, 10:52 PM
    • 11,630 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 6th Nov 15, 10:52 PM
    • 6th Nov 15, 10:52 PM
    Most people pay their credits off in full. Credit card companies still want such people, otherwise they wouldn't give them the interest free period between purchase and payments date. They make money from charging the retailer.
    • S2383
    • By S2383 20th Nov 15, 2:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    S2383
    • 20th Nov 15, 2:53 PM
    Credit Card USA
    • 20th Nov 15, 2:53 PM
    Hi there,

I'm going to New York in December and wanted to get a credit card for my trip. Is it better to get one that offers 0% interest or one that is free to use abroad? I'm not sure what would be more beneficial. I'm not planning on spending loads on it I just want it as back up. I don't currently have a credit card.

Thanks for your help!
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 20th Nov 15, 4:50 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,378 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Hi there,

I'm going to New York in December and wanted to get a credit card for my trip. Is it better to get one that offers 0% interest or one that is free to use abroad? I'm not sure what would be more beneficial. I'm not planning on spending loads on it I just want it as back up. I don't currently have a credit card.

Thanks for your help!
    Originally posted by S2383
    Strange question. How can we know as to whether you would keep a debit balance on the credit card for months?
    If not, no fees abroad of course.
    • EugeneB
    • By EugeneB 16th Dec 15, 12:04 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    EugeneB
    I think information about cash withdrawals on Halifax Clarity credit card is wrong/misleading.

You can minimise this cost: you’re only charged interest until you’ve fully repaid the balance, so if you pay off the withdrawal amount as soon as you can (via internet banking while abroad, or when you return home) you can minimize interest.
    I tried that and it appears that you need not only to pay in the amount you withdrawn but all purchases before that. (I guess because APR on both spending and withdrawals are the same then don't have to accept your payment for withdrawals first.)
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Dec 15, 12:58 PM
    • 11,630 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    zagfles
    I think information about cash withdrawals on Halifax Clarity credit card is wrong/misleading.

I tried that and it appears that you need not only to pay in the amount you withdrawn but all purchases before that. (I guess because APR on both spending and withdrawals are the same then don't have to accept your payment for withdrawals first.)
    Originally posted by EugeneB
    No - only statemented purchases. Payments always go towards statemented purchases (ie those that were on your last monthly statement or previous ones) before unstatemented purchases (ie those since your last statement date). Credit cards have to work this way if you think about it.

But unstatemented cash advances are paid before unstatemented purchases. As long at it's hit the account, sometimes it takes a day or 2 to hit the account.

The easy way to use the Clarity is to go on holiday, and clear the whole balance when you get back.

The more complicated way is to just clear the previous statement balance plus any cash advances when you get back.

The extreme MSE way is to pay the cash advance while on holiday, having first checked that the withdrawal has hit the account, and at the same time paying off any balance on the previous statement.

For a short holiday, it really isn't worth messing about with the last method, I just clear the cash & previous statement balance when I get back, on my last holiday it cost me about 30p in interest.
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 17th Dec 15, 12:28 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    robertoegg
    Another vote for Nationwide
    I want to make a point of recommending Nationwide as well.

My wife and I pay £10 / month for the Nationwde Flexplus to receive ful world travel insurance (with ski cover), 2nd year warranty extension for appliances, breakdown cover, mobile phone cover (including accidental damage).

We also get ATM withdrawals, world-wide, with no fee and no loading.

We both applied for a (free) credit card to sit alongside this account, the Nationwide Select - this gives us both world wide purchases with no fee and no loading.

For £10 / month, this amount of cover and service is exceptional in my opinion.

We both operate personal bank accounts with Halifax, which then pays us both £5 / month.

A simple, free, rule abiding set-up.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Dec 15, 6:17 PM
    • 11,630 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    zagfles
    I want to make a point of recommending Nationwide as well.

My wife and I pay £10 / month for the Nationwde Flexplus to receive ful world travel insurance (with ski cover), 2nd year warranty extension for appliances, breakdown cover, mobile phone cover (including accidental damage).

We also get ATM withdrawals, world-wide, with no fee and no loading.

We both applied for a (free) credit card to sit alongside this account, the Nationwide Select - this gives us both world wide purchases with no fee and no loading.

For £10 / month, this amount of cover and service is exceptional in my opinion.

We both operate personal bank accounts with Halifax, which then pays us both £5 / month.

A simple, free, rule abiding set-up.
    Originally posted by robertoegg
    Yes the FlexPlus is a good account but as you have Halifax accounts it's well worth getting the Clarity as well, since it gives you a backup, sometimes cards get blocked even if you tell them you're going abroad. Also you get £5 a month on the Clarity as well as long as you meet the bank account paying in criteria.
    • lfc84
    • By lfc84 23rd Dec 15, 10:58 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    lfc84
    Some feedback about the Creation credit card.

I made a purchase online on Sunday evening 20 Dec 20:50 GMT

It has come through on the card as follows:

20/12/2015 FOREIGN FEE SAVINGS £ 25.01 CR
    20/12/2015 PAYPAL £ 861.36 DR

The purchase was for an item costiing EUR 1150.

So 1150 / 836.35 = 1.375022418843785

The rate here: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ with settlement date 21 Dec 2015 is 1.375023

I would have thought the Creation credit card would have used the rate as per the settlement date of Friday 18 Dec 2015 which was 1.383121.

You cannot select settelement days Saturday or Sunday
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 23rd Dec 15, 1:21 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Roger1
    Presumably that's the Creation Everyday card?

Who did the conversion, Creation or PayPal?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 23rd Dec 15, 2:37 PM
    • 11,630 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    zagfles
    Some feedback about the Creation credit card.

I made a purchase online on Sunday evening 20 Dec 20:50 GMT

It has come through on the card as follows:

20/12/2015 FOREIGN FEE SAVINGS £ 25.01 CR
    20/12/2015 PAYPAL £ 861.36 DR
    Originally posted by lfc84
    What a stupid way of displaying it! They charge a fee in the rate then refund that charge! The Clarity and Nationwide just convert at the MasterCard/VISA rate without any messing around charging and refunding.

The purchase was for an item costiing EUR 1150.

So 1150 / 836.35 = 1.375022418843785

The rate here: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ with settlement date 21 Dec 2015 is 1.375023

I would have thought the Creation credit card would have used the rate as per the settlement date of Friday 18 Dec 2015 which was 1.383121.

You cannot select settelement days Saturday or Sunday
    IME it's usually the next working day but it can vary.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 23rd Dec 15, 3:11 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    eDicky

Originally posted by lfc84
    No, the settlement date will be a working day or two after the date of transaction, with conversion at the MasterCard rate on that settlement date.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • lfc84
    • By lfc84 25th Dec 15, 11:19 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    lfc84
    Presumably that's the Creation Everyday card?

Who did the conversion, Creation or PayPal?
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Yes, it's the Creation Everyday card

I selected to be billed in EUR on the paypal site - which happened. Creation then did the exchange.
    • greensalad
    • By greensalad 5th Jan 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    greensalad
    Poor credit but high salary, just got the Creation card at 21.9% with £1000 limit. Good enough for my upcoming trip as we won't spend even a quarter of that and will have savings beforehand to cover it.

I did consider the Revolut card but it's nice to have this available if we need something like car hire.
    Last edited by greensalad; 05-01-2016 at 2:20 PM.
    Aqua - First Direct OD - Creation - Natwest OD - Barclaycard - La Redoute - Very - Grandparents - MBNA - Halifax - Sewing Machine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,317Users online

Martin's Twitter