PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

bicarb or baking powder?

Options
I just knew this was the place to ask this question. Ive reasonably recently gotten into baking and I've got most sponge/cookie and muffin recipies down pat. My biggest problem is how fast I go through baking powder. Can it be substituted for Bicarbonate of Soda? Are they the same thing? Are they completely different? Did I completely dream up that they're even similar on drunken evening?

Thank you in advance because you're all annoyinglly brilliant at questions like this. :D
My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41

Comments

• arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mirakl

Bicarb and baking powder are two different agents so, no you can't swap one for the other.

Have you tried an ethnic/asian grocery? If there's one near you, they tend to have bullk packs for low cost. You could also try costco if there's one near you.

HTH
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear! so I did dream it up one random drunken evening :(
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    Baking powder is made of bicarbonate of soda and creame of tarter I believe, so you didn't make it up completely.
    I always use plain flour in baking, and add relevant amounts of baking powder. Don't do loads though, so don't get through it that quick.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Baking powder is two parts cream of tartar to one parts bicarbonate of soda. The cream of tartar is acidic and so reacts with the bicarbonate of soda on the addition of liquid to release bubbles of carbon dioxide.

You can buy bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar seperately and mix them yourself to make baking powder. Otherwise to substitute 1tsp baking soda for baking powder you have to use 1/4tsp bicarb and add an acidic ingredient to replace the cream of tartar. The only info I've found on the net suggests 120ml of an acidic ingredient such as soured milk or cream, buttermilk or yoghurt. Other acidic ingredients typical in recipies using baking soda are lemon juice, honey, syrup, and cocoa but how much of these would be required I don't know. I also read a recipie on this board a while ago for a cake which used vinegar to activate the bicarbonate of soda and which contained no eggs.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Self raising flour is plain flour with baking powder added I believe.Tesco's value plain flour and self raising is the same price,so you could just stock self raising as well/instead of plain.For muffins you will still need to add some baking powder but not as much.

My muffin book says that baking powder contains an acid and an alkaline ingredient.These react with each other in the prescence of moisture to produce gas which rises the batter.Bicarb is only alkaline so it can only help rise things if there is an acid ingredient like buttermilk.Some muffin recipes contain acidic ingredients like cocoa or honey or yogurt which aren't acidic enough to react with the bicarb on their own so some baking powder is added as well.

Does that help? I can recommend 'Muffins Fast and Fantastic' by Susan Reimer :)
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    This has always confused me when looking at recipes.
    If sometimes when you use bicarb, the acidic ingredients that are to go in the recipe aren't present in vast quantities, can't you just not use bicarb at all and add more bakling powder instead?
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Well you could experiment and see what happens:)

My understanding is that the bicarb neutralizes the acid in the ingredients.This is so that the acid in the baking powder can react with the alkaline in the powder and produce the 'rise'.If the acid in the yogurt/cocoa etc wasn't neutralized by the bicarb there would be too much acid present in the mixture to produce the required 'rise'.

Please bear in mind that I was rubbish at chemistry at school so I may be talking out of my you know what :D
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    So does that mean that baking powder is already neutral then?
    As some recipes just ask for baking powder and there is no mention of bicarb.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Blimey,I'm out of my depth now :rotfl: Any chemists out there?
    Sorry my knowledge of kitchen chemistry has just run out :o
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it makes sense to describe baking powder as neutral since it contains two seperate substances mixed together. Once you add water they will react together and I think the product may be neutral.

I don't think bicarb is required to neutralise acid in order to allow backing powder to react properly to cause a rise. Bicarb itself is the raising agent in baking powder and since baking powder is not "neat" bicarb it is not as powerful a raising agent. I think recipies that call for bicarb and baking powder do so because there is only a small amount of acid in them and it without the addition of cream of tartar it will not be sufficient to cause a good raise. If a recipie contained more acid than required to react with the baking powder it would simply mean that the surplus acid would be left in the finished product. So if you had no baking soda but only baking powder you would have to use three or four times the amount specified and the finished product would be slightly more acidic. I don't think it would affect the taste too much though since the acidic ingredients in cake making are generally quite palateable on their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure