We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How different are you from your siblings?

Options
engineer_amy
engineer_amy Posts: 803 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
Personality wise I mean. My sister and I could not be more different.

She is 8 years older than me, and while we have similar tastes in clothes, music, decor etc, everything else is completely different. She doesn't manage money well and frequently asks our parents for loans, and should my parents ask for some assistance in looking after our grandparents for an hour or two, she is always too busy, which we have later found out wasn't true. It always seems to be the case that she will take, but is unwilling to give anything back in return.

During a conversation this week in work (we work together) about the American holiday of thanksgiving, our colleagues were all discussing what we were thankful for. The first thing that I thought of was my supportive family and friends. I was shocked and maybe a bit put out when family didn't even feature in my sisters list. After rhyming off a list 'things' including, of all things, her looks!!!!! I was just shocked at how materialistic and selfish she sounded.
Rant over!

Do any of you have completely different siblings?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019

Comments

• sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    Me and my brother are very different ...

But there are a lot of similarities.

Quiet eye opening when my wife and sis-in-law were comparing me and my brother.
  • bluebeary
    bluebeary Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Options
    my brother is the brainy one, hes two years younger than me and doing very well career wise, Im just happy to have a job really lol

I think we have similar sense of humour but our lives are very different

hes more reserved than me, always has been
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I am alive, my sister is dead. I really miss her. :(
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have 5 siblings I can see some similarities and some differences in all of us.. we are all close and see a lot of each other although we no longer have our parents. We all have good careers a testament to our parents belief in education, some of us like great food others eat because they have to, 2 smoke 4 don't. We are all married or with someone 5 of us have children. 3 are religious 3 not very or at all, we all live in the same area except one who moved about 15 miles away. We have different parenting styles and are at different stages of family life I am the only one with both children independent. We all drive we all have a car of our own, I love to travel as do 2 of my siblings the rest seem to go to the same places year on year.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    Also to add, we have a brother in between us (5years older than me), who is very similar to myself in terms of career orientation, attitude to family and money.

We all live within a 5 mile radius of each other and our parents home.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • AntoMac
    AntoMac Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluebeary wrote: »
    my brother is the brainy one, hes two years younger than me and doing very well career wise, Im just happy to have a job really lol

I think we have similar sense of humour but our lives are very different

hes more reserved than me, always has been

bluebeary - Are you sure you're not my sister? :) If so what you doing in the Heelands? I'll be up on the Easyjet so maybe catch you in McNab's in a couple of hours :beer:
    27/5/17 Mort 64705 BTs 1904031/12/17 Mort 59815 BT 1673007/04/20 Mort 49208 BT 1572128/07/20 Mort 47387 BT 1263414/11/20 Mort 45905 BT 10134 20/05/21 Mort 42335 BT 686811/08/22 Mort 32050 BT 2915Sealed Pot Challenge 16 Number 5
  • pinpin
    pinpin Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    My brother is about 10 times brighter than me.
    Never studied for exams. Missed loads of school because he was suspended for having long hair which he refused to cut. Spent his time drawing and playing music and still managed to Get pretty much A's all round (and this was a good few years ago now before the exams were dumbed down and everyone got A's)

Whereas I've always been pretty dumb.
    We were both always fairly directionless in terms of careers growing up, but he was picked out by his bosses in a low level data entry job he was doing as someone who clearly could do better and now designs electrical networks for the same company and achieved the highest grade in some advanced maths/calculus course at college that he was sent on, whereas I struggle with the simple tasks and am resigned to menial work.

Dad is very smart indeed and had a similarly complicated (and ridiculously well-paid) job, but not sure why I drew the short straw in the brains department! lol

We do have certain similar personality traits, though.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd say we are pretty similar, but each have our own interests that the other one isn't interested in.

But as people, it's obvious we are siblings.
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    My sister and I are very different. I always did much better at school (not sure if that is due to being brighter or because I was interested and applied myself... she always seemed afraid to try in case she failed and preferred to just fail without trying). She has quite a fiery temper and a tendency towards being fisty, whereas I'm quite laid back and really dislike arguments and violence. I'd say I'm more responsible as I've always looked after and supported myself myself and managed to get and keep good jobs. My sister has had countless jobs, none of which lasted long, and at nearly 40 still relies on my parents to bail her out on a regular basis.

Other than a few physical traits like hair and eye colour I don't think we have anything in common!
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    My sister is just 18 months older than me but while she is outgoing and sociable with lots of friends I am very shy, have social anxiety disorder and no friends. I'm also very homely & love staying at home with my cat and being a housewife, this would drive her crazy. She also has children which I don't because I never wanted them. Because of our differences we are virtually strangers which is sad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport