Should I refuse to pay service charge and leave cash tips?

Options
I regularly eat at a local restaurant, which always adds a 12.5% service charge to the bill. Service is good so I haven't minded paying it. However, I recently discovered that about 80% of that money doesn't even go to the staff who serve me, the restaurant keeps it. How can I get around this? Should I refuse to pay the service charge from now on and give cash tips to the waiter/waitresses?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to decline the sneaky service charge - provided that it is not mandatory - and leave cash, if the staff is allowed to keep all the cash?

That being said I personally think it is more fair that tips are divided between all the staff not just the waiters/waitresses.
  • ALI1973
    ALI1973 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is a compulsory/mandatory service charge (you are told before ordering or it is written on the menu) then unless the service is poor you have to pay.

If not and it is a suggested service charge, then yes I would ask for it to be removed and I would tip as I felt appropriate.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't pay it.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I avoid paying that kind of charge and leave a tip for the waitress, it's up to her if she keeps it or shares it.
  • bozo007
    bozo007 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Decline the service charge, leave the tip in cash.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If it's a mandatory service charge, stop eating there!

Here in the UK we really don't want to become another US with expected tips and automatic charges, all of which just depress wages and line owners pockets.
  • bennett2kuk
    Options
    I always request that the service charge is removed and always choose if and how much I pay as a tip. If I ate somewhere and they added a mandatory tip I would never eat there again and voice my displeasure upon leaving.
    I personally hate the idea of having to tip for somebody who is possible on a low wage. If they want to earn more they should get a better job, if they need qualification to do what they want they should go and do it, otherwise put up and shut up. I feel I should be paid more in my job but I certainly wouldn't request tips from anybody.
    Sometimes I feel guilted into leaving something but I rarely carry any cash at all, maybe a pound or something but if anything goes wrong with the meal I don't mind leaving nothing.
    I'm really put off going anywhere where the tip system is in full force such as America and just hate the idea of it full stop.
  • chrisjw37
    Options
    I complained to the manager and never went there again.

he was informed of this.
  • Puzzle.Mania
    Options
    A lot of people who serve the public are on low wages, but they don't get tips!
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of people who serve the public are on low wages, but they don't get tips!

I think you're missing the point here. The thread is not about "should I tip?". It's about service charges not going to staff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure