We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who should get the flight delay compensation?

Options
NB: This question was asked by a MoneySaver and appeared in this week's email.

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks... On a recent work trip overseas my flight was delayed and I was stuck on the tarmac for around seven hours. I’ve since made a flight delay claim but if I’m successful who should get the money? Me, as I had to endure the delay and made the delay claim, or my employer, as it paid for the flight?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• ben1977
    ben1977 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    You. You were the one delayed. They still got their flight for you.

Plus if they get the money back it's likely more of a burden to get it back into coffers than to let you keep it. They'd have to raise some kind of invoice etc. Harder to balance the books.
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Were you delayed during working time which you were paid for or did it result in 7 hours of your own time?

If the latter, I'd say you should pocket the cash but if it's time you were paid for your employer should get it.

Although if it were me I'd try and keep the dosh either way :-)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When there's a hearing at the small claims court, are you going in work time or taking holiday? Will you be administering the claim in work time or your own?
    Compensation isn't easy as pie to get. MSE seems to forget this.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Moneyer
    Moneyer Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a reasonably frequent flyer for work I've been in exactly the situation a few times.

If the delay eats into work time (e.g. I'm missing some meetings) I regard the compensation as owed to work. But this means the claim process should be done on work time, and since my employer doesn't have a procedure for this, it doesn't get done.

If I'm delayed on my own time (e.g. get home late, or miss some sleep at destination) I claim the compensation for myself.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The passenger gets the money, simple as that. There's no wording in the regulation that shows that a third party (under master and servant) should also get recompense.
    Whilst it's an issue that some firms might well rub their hands together at, there remains no avenue into which litigation could be pursued by the firm.
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    I presume the seven hour delay meant your personal time was impeded, whether it meant less personal free time while away or cutting in to your home life on your return. So any flight delay payment you receive will be compensation for your own lost personal time. Take the money without guilt.
  • guiriman
    Options
    Moneyer wrote: »
    If the delay eats into work time (e.g. I'm missing some meetings) I regard the compensation as owed to work.

If I'm delayed on my own time (e.g. get home late, or miss some sleep at destination) I claim the compensation for myself.

Agree with this. I was delayed going outbound on a business trip, as a result my employer lost several hours work time where I would have been in meetings. Coming back there were no issues so home life was unaffected, they suffered the loss so the compensation should go to them.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    This is the same sort of dilemma as who gets the airmiles / rewards points - I think if your employer has a policy regarding this, and the delays ate into work time, then the employer should apply for and get the compensation. Otherwise, I'd claim it for myself.
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    Was your employer inconvenienced by the delay? I think probably not in which case its a 'no brainer'. If it only affected you and not your employer or their business then you should pocket any compensation offered.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you of course why even have a moral dilemma asking
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business