Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 2 October 2014 at 9:38AM in MoneySaving polls
I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• YES, or just all buy your own drinks anyway.....someone always looses out when rounds are bought (Im generally that person) and not everyone drinks at the same speed!
    :hello:
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    All my friends drink beer, and I drink vodka.

And i find it isn't that more expensive actually. A pint of tenants is like 3 odd anyway and a vodka depending where you go can be like £3.5

If your paying more than £4 for a vodka and mix then i suggest going to a cheaper place :P
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is he insisting on obscure named whisky or vodka, rather than generic? I'd just get him the cheapest variety, and then deny all knowledge :rotfl:
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is the trouble with rounds and splitting the bill - there's always one greedy piggy. All buy your own drinks, I bet he won't drink as much once he's paying his way instead of poncing off you lot.
  • Vejovis
    Vejovis Posts: 16,858 Forumite
    The last couple of times I've gone out, spirits have been cheaper than beer.

That said, you can't be very good friends if you begrudge him a few drinks.
    Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
    Larry Lorenzoni
  • Miski
    Miski Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Round system.

The second option is you all buy your own drinks. Depending on the brand, I've seen spirits cheaper than nice ale/beer.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    Let's get this right. Blokes go to the pub and buy rounds. It's what we do. Then when we go to the curry house and split the bill no matter what. Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

Is anyone else bothered? If not, put up with it or don't go. (This is all from a bloke's perspective, of course.)
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

This exactly. Someone appears to be abusing the man rules. You need to act.
    Pants
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    It isn't complicated.

Does he drink the same when it is his turn to buy the drinks? If yes swallow it down and pay up. If not tell him where to go.
  • MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?

A lady who likes footy? :eek:
    Marry me!!! :D;)
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure