What do you do in the evenings?

Options
I have lots to do during the day with work, teenage children and house "stuff" but come 7 o'clock my day is done. I generally sit on the sofa, watch tv and drink wine. My health and weight is suffering and I'm bored.

I do aerobics 2x a week and gardening but want something to capture my imagination when I’m at home in the evenings.

What do you suggest?

Comments

• double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 August 2014 at 10:13PM
    Options
    i come home see the kids after they have gone to bed and hubby has gone to work i either do some college work, watch a movie, do some crafting - cross stitching or patchwork (im useless with everything else lol) i will do the meal plan and sort out other little bits and bobs make sure mine and kids clothes are out for the morning talk to a family member or friend occasionally someone pops over for a cuppa (cant leave as most nights im alone with the kids)

EDIT: i know this may sound like i do loads but that is over a week lol not in one night i do also love doing nothing with a glass (read bottle) of wine
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't feel too guilty. I think your routine is the same as most peoples who work, but wothout the aerobics and gardening! Maybe tey and cut out the wine but apart from that I wouldnt worry too much!
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Walk the dog mainly!

Currently sewing (what feels like the world's supply of) sequins onto a bra for Junior to wear in the Great North Run but will generally knit otherwise.

Would like to learn how to crochet though
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • HeavyMetalFan
    Options
    Depends what you're in to really. I'll listen to music, play guitar (I'm rubbish), read, watch football on TV or go to a match, watch a bit of TV or a film, visit mates, go to the pub, mess around on my iPad, cycle and so on.

None of those things may interest you though.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Monday - I run Rainbows and Brownies. After that, I take my youngest son to his voluntary work and pick him up a couple of hours later. In those two hours, I eat a late tea, watch Corrie, and read/colour with my older son (16, but with learning disability, so mental age is much lower).

Tuesday - Slimming World, then pick up youngest from the gym. He gets the bus or a lift with his friend. Older son is with me - he loves the attention he gets from the ladies at SW, and he also enjoys preparing the tea trolley. We have about fifteen minutes wait in the car, so we read, play a game (usually Candy Crush), and chat.

Wednesday - once a month I have a meeting (I volunteer at the community centre). Other weeks, I take my boys to Deaf Club. While they are in there, I do some shopping, read (sometimes in Costa Coffee) or sort out Guiding work. When we get home, I sort the recycling with older son, while younger son puts the bins out.

Thursday - a couple of times a month, we go to my mum's for tea and don't get home until older son's bedtime. I do see her at other times as well. The weeks that we are at home, I watch TV with my kids, read, sew, browse the internet, or do some Guiding work.

Friday - voluntary work at the community centre. Youngest son goes I to the IT suite and older son is in youth club in the same building. When we get home, have tea and then read, watch TV, browse the internet or sew.

Saturday and Sunday evenings, I tend to spend playing a game or doing a jigsaw with the kids, watching TV, reading, browsing the internet. Every fortnight, I take my youngest to voluntary work and pick him up again.

In addition, I put the washer and dishwasher on (or empty them). I have to supervise my older son's shower, not in the wet room but by standing outside and calling through reminders to ash his neck, knees, etc (otherwise he forgets to wash anywhere he can't see easily). I research ideas for Guiding. My kids and I spend time reading and writing together - my oldest is quite obsessive about writing lists. His meds can take ten minutes to administer, and during the colder weather he needs chest physio. There are sometimes forms to fill in, and I type the minutes for the community centre. I am trying to sort my way through some clutter, but motivation is low by evening!

Have you thought about volunteering or learning something new? Or just making the most of your time relaxing?
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't do anything energetic in the evenings because I am tired from being out of the house for work from 8am-7pm. I therefore do sofa-based activities. I do crafts, I enter competitions online and fill in surveys, I read and I love watching films. I like getting involved in reading and film challenges. I either make them up myself or join ones online. At the moment I am reading books from different countries and doing a similar film one.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mostly catch up on work (second job - requires reports use laptop), 3rd job cleaning or sitting watching tv while brousing MSE!! I get involved extra with projects at work so often researching or planning them. Would love not to be working but it pays the bills...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On an evening I can usually be found either watching telly or on my pc. With hubby working away I'm in charge of the remote. :D
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    One or some of the below, do pendent on weather, tiredness and money!

Watching TV /DVDs
    Messing on Internet - usually planning out next holiday or teip
    Reading
    Doing online course
    Prep and list items on ebay
    Go on a bike ride/for a walk
    Do weekly shop, mooch at retail park
    Crosswords or quizzes
    Play on games console
    Visit the parents /friends
    Attempt a pub quiz
    Occasional baking
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I get home I'm too exhausted to do anything and mostly end up falling asleep on the sofa in front of Friends.

I've just bought Michael Palin's diaries which are 700 pages each so I'm giving them a read.

I also scour Sky On Demand to find something new to watch - lately I've been watching A Touch of Cloth 1, 2 and 3, which are hilarious!
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills