We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How would you share a mega-lottery win

Options
thorsoak
thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 August 2014 at 4:59PM in Marriage, relationships & families
No....I haven't had a mega-win - but I can always dream!

I started to wonder - if other MSE-ers won a really big sum (I'm dreaming £mmmm on the Euromillions) - how would you share it with your family - or would you keep it all for yourself?

Me - first thing would be to pay off the mortgages of DSs and DD, and those of my nieces and nephews (I'm mortgage free). Then a big family holiday, to decide which way to go after that. Of course I'd be thinking about 50% of a mega win also going to help a charity or two.

So come on - let's know your dreams!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    how would you share it with your family - or would you keep it all for yourself?
    !

Of course I'd give some to my family. I don't know anyone who would just keep it all for themselves (unless they didn't get on with their family of course).
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely share the wealth, but the hard part would be deciding WHO and HOW MUCH.

I'd definitely buy/build a bigger house.
    New cars for me and OH.
    Pay off or buy new houses for parents/in-laws.
    New cars for parents/in-laws.
    Big holidays for all.

Lump sums to parents/in-laws.
    Lump sums to friends who have been particularly good to us.

Lump sums to charities close to us.

Investments/savings/etc.

I think that's all!

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd share, but not necessarily in a way that people knew it was me IYSWIM. I wouldn't want to inadvertently dampen spirit of striving for themselves, particularly the young ones. Decent rental and landlords happening to appear where they need it we hear of via friends of friends ( that can become theirs when appropriate) has been a way we thought would be helpful.

Importantly, my husband would go part time at work, ( we've talked about this, we feel the need to stay working would be there, for brain exercise) and we would start a fund that allowed us to fund research into causes near to our hearts and education, preferably simultaneously.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Winning millions of ££'s seems to have ruined a lot of lives by changing the dynamics of relationships and taking away many people's sense of purpose in life. If I won a big prize (unlikely as I only ever do the smaller prize scratchcards) I'd have to think long and hard about the negative effects it may have on my nearest and dearest.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    I would buy a house, we're renting.
    I'd sort my kids out a house each, even if it was rented out for time being.
    I'd buy a house for my sister and family, but I'd put in the names of my nieces and nephews.
    Would do the same for my sis in law too.
    And I have two really good friends who listen and support me unconditionally, I'd pay off their mortgages too.

Big family holiday too and a new car, as ours is currently 22 yrs old!!!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Options
    As OH was an only child, as were his parents, there are no relatives on his side, so I think that I'd want to start a trust for the descendants of my parents (ie brother & sisters and their offspring & future offspring) which might be able to help future generations ....I don't believe in handing largess to anyone on a plate!
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Options
    If it was a lorra lorra money - like 100 million. I would pay off the mortgages of close family and close pals. And I would look into how I can give them enough money to live on for life. I would pay my daughter's uni fees off and buy her a house outright too, and give her a few million.

And I must admit, if it was THAT much, I would give a lot of it to various charities of my choice, gradually, over 3 or 4 years: air ambulance, the hospital, the local hospices, a few elderly persons and cancer charities, money towards charities that provide aids and adaptations to the disabled, some to the animals shelters near me, maybe open an animal sanctuary for abandoned and sick animals, and a bit to the Church.

And maybe even open a little fund to help people struggling on benefits or being forced to leave their home because of the bedroom tax.

Maybe even open some workshops for the young and unemployed to build up their skills.

Maybe even open a few care homes with proper, qualified staff who WANT to 'care' for the people and aren't just doing it for the money. Where vulnerable people can be looked after well.

Just put something into the country and into the community. I would also give 'some' to overseas charities; not sure how much.

But I wouldn't need a lot myself. One of the first things I would do though, would be to visit all the countries I have not been to yet, and visit Asia, Antarctic, Australasia, and loads more. I have been to quite a few countries (about a 15 European, and also America and Canada, and a few African ones,) but there are LOADS I would like to visit. :)

I would also try and hire a personal chef for a bit and a personal trainer to get slim! :D
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • scottish_lassy
    Options
    I was under the impression that it was quite difficult to just 'give' money away without causing tax implications etc to recipient .... therefore I have always thought that if I won a massive amount (which would be too stressfull to spend!) I would make up a list of all the family and friends I would want to help and say we were all in a syndicate, then the money would be split between all.

Maybe someone can keep us right, so that when we do win, we all know what to do!!!! It would help if I did the lottery - any of them!!!!!
    :rotfl:
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I wouldn't give my parents anything, as I'd be worried about potential inheritance taxes when they eventually go ;) so I'd build them a house (more like, a ranch in Arizona) where they could live rent and bills free.

I probably wouldn't give my brother anything (we're estranged) but I'd give a certain sum to each of his children, who are now of a sensible age. I'd let Marley worry about his siblings, that would be up to him.

I certainly wouldn't go to the level of cousins but I'd keep an ear out for any of them being in trouble where money could help.

Everything else would be ours as a family.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm not sure really. My family don't need money and I'm not sure they'd be too willing to accept. Maybe I'd offer to buy them a holiday home and a round the world trip, maybe an extension.

I'd give my brother enough money for a deposit and some extra, but I think he'd want the achievement of buying.

I'd build a house for me and my other half.

Then probably the usual save, spend and charities. Then live off the interest!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport