Immaterial Girl

Options
Snagggles
Snagggles Posts: 434 Forumite
edited 19 July 2014 at 6:53PM in Debt free diaries
Hello!

After a lot of lurking, and some occasional posting, I decided to start a new diary of my own. My first diary was about trying to conceive, and bring up a baby on a tight budget. That baby is 7 now. :)

A lot has happened in that time. I got divorced, I had a disastrous few years dating wholly unsuitable men, I met what I thought was the perfect man, I moved to Edinburgh, he turned out to be a !!!!!, and now here I am, still in Edinburgh but back to being a single mum on a tight budget.

There has been a LOT of stress in my life over the last year, and especially the last few months. Some of it is finally settling down, but there is still a *big scary thing* hanging over our heads. I can't talk about it because it involves the kids and there are some legal issues, but I will probably allude to it, so apologies now if I am vague.

That aside though, my worries are the same as most other parents: keeping the kids safe and happy, managing on my own, sticking to a budget, etc etc.

I no longer own my own house, so I'm renting one (see above re !!!!!). I have some money set aside for a deposit, and am hoping to buy somewhere next year.

But that's going to be tricky! I will need more savings than I have in order to do that, and my outgoings are more or less equal to my income, so I NEED to start making cuts, spending less, reducing bills. All the things I used to do without even thinking about it.

Oh, and there's a debt. :o Not a huge one (£750), but it has to go. Some of the costs of moving house (which had to happen very quickly) went onto a Lloyds credit card, and have just been transferred to a First Direct card at 0% for 20 months. There was a fee to do that, but at least everything I throw at it now will come off the balance, and it's a nice, long 0% deal.

I've just started working full-time, which is fantastic. The lovely people at the HMRC haven't sent my new tax credit award notification out yet though, so I don't even know if my financial position will be better or worse. Probably not much different, I would imagine.

It's nice to see some familiar faces (well, usernames), and a lot of new ones. Come in, have a seat, can I offer you a cup of tea?

xx
I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.

Comments

• Snagggles
    Options
    Wow, they've clamped down on "t w u n t"?!

BunnyInTheLights would be distraught! :rotfl:
    I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Snagggles wrote: »
    Wow, they've clamped down on "t w u n t"?!

BunnyInTheLights would be distraught! :rotfl:

Twunt. The old tricks are still the best.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hello, I've noticed your intermittent forays from lurkdom and enjoyed your comments. I've subscribed and can't wait to see your progress.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Snagggles
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Twunt. The old tricks are still the best.

I once got told off for that. :D :rotfl:

Sheesh, been here 2 minutes and you're trying to lead me astray already!!
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I once got told off for that. :D :rotfl:

:rotfl:

I never have - funnily enough. :A
    Sheesh, been here 2 minutes and you're trying to lead me astray already!!

Yeah, yeah...like you're that innocent.

Unlike me. :A
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Sparkles87
    Sparkles87 Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello lovely lady, great to see you posting on your own diary once more, I keep thinking about doing one but there's eyes lurking that I just can't trust so understand your vagueness on some issues
  • lulabelle
    lulabelle Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    I'm subscribing. Men are complete idiots and I think you're far better off on your own x
    I want to be a writer
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary Snaggles :grin:
    Keep plodding & keep posting.
    L xxx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice to see you here again Snagggles. Hope the legal stuff settles down soon in your favour.

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Nice to see you Snaggles, do you like Edinburgh? I will subscribe and follow your progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure