IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Meteor Railway parking ticket

Options
Hi guys and girls, I am a newbie but not a stranger to the forums as i've had many years of reading.

i will got my story straight out there, My mother received a window ticket for not displaying a valid ticket. The invoice states to pay Fifty pounds before 14 days or Ninety pound there after. the only thing is she did not purchase a ticket for the parking area. May i state its not a car park, it is literally a painted area with bays.

The invoice states nothing about railway Bylaws but says the terms and conditions are stated at the car park. would it be a practical case of stating the it is actually not a car park?

what will be the best way to resolve this once the NTK come through?

Thanks in advance Lou.

Comments

• Hot_Bring
    Hot_Bring Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    As per the NEWBIE sticky :

1. Await NtK
    2. Appeal to Meteor
    3. Use POPLA if Meteor reject your appeal ( making sure you post your POPLA appeal here for checking BEFORE sending.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
  • louloukoi16
    Options
    Hot_Bring wrote: »
    As per the NEWBIE sticky :

1. Await NtK
    2. Appeal to Meteor
    3. Use POPLA if Meteor reject your appeal ( making sure you post your POPLA appeal here for checking BEFORE sending.

ive missed this bit im so sorry
    But i will keep this updated.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The invoice states nothing about railway Bylaws but says the terms and conditions are stated at the car park. would it be a practical case of stating the it is actually not a car park?

Whether or not it is a car park is a moot point. Are there bays painted for cars to park in? Then it probably would be a car park. The important bit is that it is private land and what they are claiming is that you/your mother did not abide by the terms of using the private land.

As Hot Bring said, wait for the letter through the post, should arrive between 28 and 56 days from the date the ticket was issued to the vehicle.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Here are some successes recently when posters have followed the advice in the NEWBIES sticky thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4911394

We always win at POPLA and Meteor at a railway station will be easy to beat as their charge isn't a GPEOL and the site isn't relevant land under POFA2012 (all explained in the sticky thread). Make sure the appeal is always written as from the registered keeper which is why you await the NTK first. The driver does not appeal.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • louloukoi16
    louloukoi16 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update guys i received a letter today from PCN debt recovery and prosecution service and states notice to Owner/Keeper/hirer railway by law 14. My parents are now stressing about this and want to pay the Ninety quid fine. Ive had a look and i've seen by laws are enforceable. should we just pay?
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Does it say its a penalty on the ticket? Does the signs in the car park mention bylaws ? They can't suddenly say its a bylaw ticket without it being signposted as such and it saying as much on the ticket.

Did you appeal?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • louloukoi16
    Options
    on this letter it states its parking charge. on the original window ntk there was no mention of bylaws. and there arent any at the station. i will go down there and double check later today.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Railway Byelaw 14(4):

In England and Wales
    (i) The owner of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance
    used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be
    liable to pay a penalty as displayed in that area.

So if there was no penalty displayed pursuant to Byelaw 14(4) than they are stuffed. It's no good to them if Meteor displayed some charge supposedly due to Meteor, this would be purely a civil matter and nothing to do with the byelaws. It would have to expressly state that it's a penalty pursuant to Byelaw 14(4).
    Je suis Charlie.
  • louloukoi16
    edited 14 May 2014 at 4:57PM
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    Railway Byelaw 14(4):

In England and Wales
    (i) The owner of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance
    used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be
    liable to pay a penalty as displayed in that area.

So if there was no penalty displayed pursuant to Byelaw 14(4) than they are stuffed. It's no good to them if Meteor displayed some charge supposedly due to Meteor, this would be purely a civil matter and nothing to do with the byelaws. It would have to expressly state that it's a penalty pursuant to Byelaw 14(4).

with this in mind can i create a letter and add this byelaw to it as a reference?
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Have you appealed this yet ?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport