IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules
Views: 28,075
# 1
WOW Factor 0
pdaddy
Old 12-03-2014, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Is Ryanair forcing me into reserving and paying extra for our seats?

If I understand them correctly, under Ryanair's new rules, effective 8 April 2014, if you do not purchase a seat, and therefore have one allocated for you by Ryanair, you have to check in online and print your boarding passes from 7 days to 2 hours before the flight.

We want to book flights for a 2-week holiday, so for the return flight, how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)

Are they making me pay for seats on the return flight so I can print the boarding passes before we go on holiday or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Obviously the best
Old 12-03-2014, 4:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,413 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Obviously the best Send a message via Skype™ to Obviously the best

Internet caf!? Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you? Or if you don't want to print them out there, pay for the seats or pay for boarding cards at the airport (more expensive).
OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
# 3
NFH
Old 12-03-2014, 5:29 PM

Thanked 1,279 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously the best View Post
Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you?
Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.

Last edited by NFH; 12-03-2014 at 5:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NFH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
visidigi
Old 12-03-2014, 6:48 PM

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFH View Post
Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.
When did Ryanair have morals?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visidigi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
SaveTheEuro
Old 12-03-2014, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaddy View Post
how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)
Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaveTheEuro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
NFH
Old 12-03-2014, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveTheEuro View Post
Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?
# 7
jm2926
Old 12-03-2014, 7:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?
Internet cafe has already been suggested
# 8
NFH
Old 12-03-2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2926 View Post
Internet cafe has already been suggested
You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.
# 9
jm2926
Old 12-03-2014, 7:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.
The only assumption is that you are going to come up with a set of circumstances to make it impossible. Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair? Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer? Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
# 10
NFH
Old 12-03-2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair?
Ryanair is well known for flying to remote airports rather than cities' main airports.
Quote:
Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer?
The problem is that passengers will often only find out about this unreasonable requirement after making the booking.
Quote:
Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?
# 11
jm2926
Old 12-03-2014, 8:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?
Let's face it Ryanair couldn't care less about passenger convenience, which I why I will never use them again

Quote:

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?
No, but it's £/€5 per person per flight to select a seat which extends check in to 30 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to jm2926 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
YorkshireBoy
Old 12-03-2014, 8:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 12,481 Times in 9,519 Posts

Quote:
No, but it's £/€5 per person per flight to select a seat
...on some routes/times, but £/€10 on others.
# 13
Delree
Old 13-03-2014, 7:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can't remember the last airport I used that didn't have an Internet cafe where you can print off boarding passes.
# 14
benjus
Old 13-03-2014, 8:38 AM

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,306 Posts

I don't think the 7 day limit for non-reserved seats is unreasonable. If you're paying to reserve a seat you will probably do so in advance of the trip, and you would expect to have the full choice of seats available to you. If they allow people who are not reserving a seat to check in earlier, the computer will have to allocate seats to them which will then reduce the choice available to those paying for reserved seats.

They could give everyone a reserved seat, but then they'd just increase the cost of all the flights by £5/£10.

I agree that mobile boarding passes are the best solution. I don't know if there are any technical issues with rolling this out to all the tiny airports that basically only exist to serve Ryanair - although I'm sure they could roll it out to most destinations without any problems. Of course, it'll probably just result in people who don't have smartphones moaning about being treated unfairly.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
# 15
SaveTheEuro
Old 13-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaddy View Post
how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination?
You don't need to search for a printer if you staying at a remote location. Just check in online, using a smartphone and wifi or any internet terminal, and save the boarding passes as PDFs. Use the printing facilities at your departing airport.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaveTheEuro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Kernow666
Old 13-03-2014, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
You don't need to search for a printer if you staying at a remote location. Just check in online, using a smartphone and wifi or any internet terminal, and save the boarding passes as PDFs. Use the printing facilities at your departing airport.

all well and good but what of the OP doesnt have access to a smartphone or WIFI or when they get to the airport done have any money to use an internet cafe
# 17
benjus
Old 13-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote:
It's a risky plan, leaving it to the last minute - what happens if it's just a small airport and either doesn't have any printers available for public use, or they are out of order?
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
# 18
Claire1986
Old 13-03-2014, 12:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I flew with Ryan Air back in December when we went to Cyprus for a holiday. We aslo had to allocate our own seats but I just bypassed that option and if you do that they allocate a seat for you and any other passengers with you. Why pay for it when you have paid for the actual flight to start with. Their planes are terribly uncomfortable anyway but does the job.

With regards to printing your boarding passes, when you log on to your booking you should have an option to print all journeys so you can print your boarding passes for outbound and inbound journeys. That's what I did and it worked ok. Ryan Air are a low fair airline and its just another way to make money from the customer. Just bypass allocating a seat. They have to give you a seat as you have paid for the flight!

Hope that helps and enjoy your holiday!
The Following User Says Thank You to Claire1986 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
SaveTheEuro
Old 13-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire1986 View Post
Just bypass allocating a seat.
How does the OP do that 14 days before travel?
# 20
DaveyPac
Old 13-03-2014, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ryanair recently cancelled my flight 4 hours before it was due to leave by email only. Luckily, I had checked my computer before setting off for a 4 hour round trip to the airport.

I'll never fly with them again
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveyPac For This Useful Post: Show me >>