Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    pdaddy
    0 WOW
    Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules
    • 12th Mar 14, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules 12th Mar 14 at 3:47 PM
    Is Ryanair forcing me into reserving and paying extra for our seats?

If I understand them correctly, under Ryanair's new rules, effective 8 April 2014, if you do not purchase a seat, and therefore have one allocated for you by Ryanair, you have to check in online and print your boarding passes from 7 days to 2 hours before the flight.

We want to book flights for a 2-week holiday, so for the return flight, how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)

Are they making me pay for seats on the return flight so I can print the boarding passes before we go on holiday or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • Obviously the best
    • By Obviously the best 12th Mar 14, 4:53 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    Obviously the best
    • 12th Mar 14, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 4:53 PM
    Internet caf!? Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you? Or if you don't want to print them out there, pay for the seats or pay for boarding cards at the airport (more expensive).
    OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
    • NFH
    • By NFH 12th Mar 14, 5:29 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    NFH
    • 12th Mar 14, 5:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 5:29 PM
    Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you?
    Originally posted by Obviously the best
    Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.
    Last edited by NFH; 12-03-2014 at 5:36 PM.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 12th Mar 14, 6:48 PM
    • 5,571 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    visidigi
    • 12th Mar 14, 6:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 6:48 PM
    Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.
    Originally posted by NFH
    When did Ryanair have morals?
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 12th Mar 14, 6:54 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    • 12th Mar 14, 6:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 6:54 PM
    how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)
    Originally posted by pdaddy
    Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 12th Mar 14, 7:10 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    NFH
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:10 PM
    Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
    Originally posted by SaveTheEuro
    What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?
    • jm2926
    • By jm2926 12th Mar 14, 7:14 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    jm2926
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:14 PM
    What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?
    Originally posted by NFH
    Internet cafe has already been suggested
    • NFH
    • By NFH 12th Mar 14, 7:23 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    NFH
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:23 PM
    Internet cafe has already been suggested
    Originally posted by jm2926
    You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.
    • jm2926
    • By jm2926 12th Mar 14, 7:50 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    jm2926
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Mar 14, 7:50 PM
    You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.
    Originally posted by NFH
    The only assumption is that you are going to come up with a set of circumstances to make it impossible. Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair? Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer? Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 12th Mar 14, 8:02 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    NFH
    Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair?
    Ryanair is well known for flying to remote airports rather than cities' main airports.
    Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer?
    The problem is that passengers will often only find out about this unreasonable requirement after making the booking.
    Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
    Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?
    • jm2926
    • By jm2926 12th Mar 14, 8:16 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    jm2926
    Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?
    Originally posted by NFH
    Let's face it Ryanair couldn't care less about passenger convenience, which I why I will never use them again

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?
    Originally posted by NFH
    No, but it's £/€5 per person per flight to select a seat which extends check in to 30 days.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Mar 14, 8:44 PM
    • 27,292 Posts
    • 15,294 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    No, but it's £/€5 per person per flight to select a seat
    ...on some routes/times, but £/€10 on others.
    • Delree
    • By Delree 13th Mar 14, 7:23 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Delree
    I can't remember the last airport I used that didn't have an Internet cafe where you can print off boarding passes.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 13th Mar 14, 8:38 AM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 2,743 Thanks
    benjus
    I don't think the 7 day limit for non-reserved seats is unreasonable. If you're paying to reserve a seat you will probably do so in advance of the trip, and you would expect to have the full choice of seats available to you. If they allow people who are not reserving a seat to check in earlier, the computer will have to allocate seats to them which will then reduce the choice available to those paying for reserved seats.

They could give everyone a reserved seat, but then they'd just increase the cost of all the flights by £5/£10.

I agree that mobile boarding passes are the best solution. I don't know if there are any technical issues with rolling this out to all the tiny airports that basically only exist to serve Ryanair - although I'm sure they could roll it out to most destinations without any problems. Of course, it'll probably just result in people who don't have smartphones moaning about being treated unfairly.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 13th Mar 14, 11:44 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination?
    Originally posted by pdaddy
    You don't need to search for a printer if you staying at a remote location. Just check in online, using a smartphone and wifi or any internet terminal, and save the boarding passes as PDFs. Use the printing facilities at your departing airport.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 13th Mar 14, 11:53 AM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    Kernow666
    You don't need to search for a printer if you staying at a remote location. Just check in online, using a smartphone and wifi or any internet terminal, and save the boarding passes as PDFs. Use the printing facilities at your departing airport.

all well and good but what of the OP doesnt have access to a smartphone or WIFI or when they get to the airport done have any money to use an internet cafe
    • benjus
    • By benjus 13th Mar 14, 11:56 AM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 2,743 Thanks
    benjus
    It's a risky plan, leaving it to the last minute - what happens if it's just a small airport and either doesn't have any printers available for public use, or they are out of order?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Claire1986
    I flew with Ryan Air back in December when we went to Cyprus for a holiday. We aslo had to allocate our own seats but I just bypassed that option and if you do that they allocate a seat for you and any other passengers with you. Why pay for it when you have paid for the actual flight to start with. Their planes are terribly uncomfortable anyway but does the job.

With regards to printing your boarding passes, when you log on to your booking you should have an option to print all journeys so you can print your boarding passes for outbound and inbound journeys. That's what I did and it worked ok. Ryan Air are a low fair airline and its just another way to make money from the customer. Just bypass allocating a seat. They have to give you a seat as you have paid for the flight!

Hope that helps and enjoy your holiday!
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 13th Mar 14, 12:18 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    Just bypass allocating a seat.
    Originally posted by Claire1986
    How does the OP do that 14 days before travel?
  • DaveyPac
    Ryanair recently cancelled my flight 4 hours before it was due to leave by email only. Luckily, I had checked my computer before setting off for a 4 hour round trip to the airport.

I'll never fly with them again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,767Posts Today

4,785Users online

Martin's Twitter