PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style stalwart squeaky Book of remembrance

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 29 July 2013 at 12:17PM in Old style MoneySaving
It's with extreme sadness that we have to report the passing of Old Style stalwart and board guide squeaky.

As some Old Style board regulars may already be aware, he passed away in hospital a few weeks ago after being ill for some years.

squeaky joined the MSE forum back in 2004 and kindly volunteered to help us and MoneySavers as a board guide on the Old Style Board in 2005 (and subsequently the Consumer Rights) which he continued to do, as best as he could, until a few months ago.

squeaky took the volunteer role very seriously to the point of thinking up and compiling the fabulous Old Style Index, which he then encouraged further volunteers to help keep tidy and contribute to.

If you feel you'd like to say something in remembrance, have a funny story to tell or would simply like to leave your condolences please do (click reply below).

We'd like to think this is a fitting tribute to an unassuming gentleman who simply wanted to help Old Stylers and MoneySavers.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 26 July 2013 at 11:38AM
    I'd like to start this off with my own personal thoughts if I may.

squeaky was a thoughtful and kind person who wanted the best for the forum and I absolutely loved his attention to detail on the Old Style index, even to the point of the odd grump when people started their own threads rather than add to an existing one he'd linked to :)

I hope Old Stylers continue to use it and keep it going as his legacy.

Take care squeaky xx
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    RIP Squeaky x

Just a thought, could MSE add his name to the Old style Index as a lasting tribute?
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    so very sad news, our thoughts go out to his family and friends, sleep easy x
  • I am so sorry to hear of squeaky's passing. I will miss his wit and humour , he will be sorely missed.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 July 2013 at 1:32PM
    This is terrible sad news. Squeaky gave a lot of time to the MSE Forum, particularly the 'Old Style' board.:A

When I first ventured into the 'Old Style' board, I thought that squeaky was very helpful...............but in a stern policeman style sometimes.;)

Anyway, I knew that I'd met with his approval when he deferred to my knowledge and experience of laundry care.:cool::D squeaky liked me................I had arrived!

The majority of MSE Forum members are helpful and generous. Board Guides even more so..............and squeaky was one of the best.

Rest in peace squeaky.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Very sad news. :(

Condolences and all the best to his friends, family, and all the people on Old Style who will miss him.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    luxor4t wrote: »
    RIP Squeaky x

Just a thought, could MSE add his name to the Old style Index as a lasting tribute?

I second this proposal, I would like to see a lasting tribute to squeaky (made sticky;)) on the 'Old Style' board.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I never had any personal interaction with squeaky, but am very grateful for his super work on these boards - many condolences to his family, RL and virtual, he'll be very sorely missed.

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Hope he knew how much he was valued - thanks for everything, squeaky. :beer:
    [
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Shocked and saddened to hear this news. Squeaks always seemed like a really decent human being and will be greatly missed on this forum I am sure.

I once posted a recipe which ended up on the Old Style Index. Squeaks replied that he had tried it and enjoyed it....I felt soooo proud:o

Another vote here for the lasting tribute.....:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport