Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Tojo Ralph
    • 19th Apr 05, 2:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 05, 2:08 PM
    EBay is where the buyers are ... If that ever changes, I'll consider selling elsewhere.
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • pug_in_a_bed
    • 19th Apr 05, 2:48 PM
    • 19th Apr 05, 2:48 PM
    i've used it once, i got my stuff but ever got any replies back off the seller, who also never left feedback. plus at the moment most of the stuff seems pants, prob cos not many people going on there. its a pirates paradise, as i guess its not being monitored very well at the moment

• Bargainbabe
    • 19th Apr 05, 5:18 PM
    • 19th Apr 05, 5:18 PM
    EBay is where the buyers are ... If that ever changes, I'll consider selling elsewhere.
    by Tojo Ralph
    I'll second that!
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • poppit
    • 19th Apr 05, 10:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 05, 10:58 PM
    i too am sick to the teeth of ebays chargres but untill another alternative is advalible like ebid becoming popular then i have to stick with ebay altho my sellers fees are so high sometimes i dont make much profit at all and i wonder why i bother but in the past have made a few pennys
  • vultura
    • 20th Apr 05, 1:46 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 1:46 AM
    its a pirates paradise, as i guess its not being monitored very well at the moment
    by smam21
    and eBay isn't a place for pirates to sell their wares?
  • FruGal
    • 20th Apr 05, 2:17 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 2:17 AM
    ebay has a charitable foundation?
  • pug_in_a_bed
    • 20th Apr 05, 10:17 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 10:17 AM
    and eBay isn't a place for pirates to sell their wares?
    by vultura
    yes it is, but what with the vero thing and people starting to report pirate stuff, its more hit and miss as to whether sellers are going to get there goods taken off - there's been a numebr of posts in the past few months on the forum about sellers being confused as to why they've had, say a brand new dvd, being removed accoriding to vero regulations; on the pirate side there was some guy complaining he'd been taken off for selling what he called very good bootlegs.

my point is that ebid is not at the stage of massiveness yet where these kinds of items are being picked up and removed, which people may argue has good and bad points...

• tsuchan
    • 29th Dec 08, 6:40 PM
    • 29th Dec 08, 6:40 PM
    i too am sick to the teeth of ebays chargres but untill another alternative is advalible like ebid becoming popular then i have to stick with ebay altho my sellers fees are so high sometimes i dont make much profit at all and i wonder why i bother but in the past have made a few pennys
    Originally posted by poppit
    That's the spirit, Poppit... let everybody else do all the hard work without you, and then you'll step in when it's a roaring success.

Well here's the rub. In most countries, eBay is currently the only game in town... it's effectively a monopoly; and that means it can and will raise its fees, raise its profits, reduce choice for its seller customers and buyer customers, except where it sees itself making extra profit.

No company will prep itself to roll-out from Day 1 a service as complete as e-bay, unless perhaps it's a company that's already the lead player in other countries, and wants to "steal" e-bay's market one country at a time. But that's exceptionally unlikely, because Yahoo tried it an failed.

Here's why on-line auctions are a special case:

It really is convenient for customers to have one arena for all their customers. It costs to advertise in more than one place; to manage sales in more than one place; and it's difficult, because one item can only be sold in one auction so sellers have to make their choice.

But e-bays position will only ever get stronger unless you, Poppit, and a million other people, shift the power balance. (In fact since you wrote your mail, you've seen it happen!) That absolutely means you make a sacrifice of convenience in exchange for the free listings and no final value fees and whatever else. But at least you shouldn't whinge about e-bay while supporting their monopoly.

Be abused by e-bay and smile about it; or have the courage and determination to vote with your feet an walk!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 29th Dec 08, 7:11 PM
    • 55,326 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    soolin
    Um, this thread is almost 4 years old, I think the OP has probably moved on by now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • zenseeker
    Um, this thread is almost 4 years old, I think the OP has probably moved on by now.
    Originally posted by soolin
    4 years old, and still eBid is a useless alternative to eBay. Sadly eBay hold the monopoly, and the customers, and that will never change.
  • steviebabes
    I'm sick of all the scams and rip-offs and high fees on Ebay
    Originally posted by uksitebuilder
    4 years on and nothing has changed :confused:
  • StaffsSW
    4 years on and nothing has changed :confused:
    Originally posted by steviebabes

Yep - same broken record!
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • patman99
    • By patman99 30th Dec 08, 5:18 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 7,485 Thanks
    patman99
    If Ebay continue with their plans to only allow Paypal as their online intergrated payment system, then I for one will be complaining to the Competition Commissioner on the grounds that is is in full breach of the competitions act.

Every week approx. 1,000 people switch from Ebay to Ebid. Why?, because you can integrate several different payment systems.

I have accounts on both.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 1000.00 / 1000 (that's 100%)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interst Tax free.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th Dec 08, 5:21 PM
    • 55,326 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    soolin
    Oh dear not another monopoly question..ebay can do what they like on their site. A monopoly cannot exist where there is open competition.

Your own argument rather suggests that ebid is such a dreadfully appalling site that it is not in any way competition to ebay, I can't see the ebid people being happy with you!

Also strictly speaking since ebay allow bank transfers that would appear to be an online capable service as well. Do they also allow nochex as well, I haven't seen any mention of it for ages but I wonder if that is user apathy rather than an outright ban.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • ghl
    Almost another 9 months past - any updates on this. Just found this thread after seeing a result in google pointing to ebid.

eBay will always hold the monopoly unless everyone - including us, show that their charges aren't acceptable.
    Can eBid be the rival?

Any updated info welcome.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Sep 09, 8:31 AM
    • 55,326 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    soolin
    Almost another 9 months past - any updates on this. Just found this thread after seeing a result in google pointing to ebid.

eBay will always hold the monopoly unless everyone - including us, show that their charges aren't acceptable.
    Can eBid be the rival?

Any updated info welcome.
    Originally posted by ghl
    What sort of update do you need?

If you use ebid then it would be useful to have your own views on whether sales are improving there, you may find this thread of use if you use ebid:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=483786&highlight=ebid
    New to Forum? Guide
  • ghl
    I was wondering if people were still using it to buy and sell and if the overall perception had improved. Also if buyers thought the numbers were increasing on there i.e. the sales results were getting better.

Thanks for the link to the other topic, reading that as I go.

I have registered on eBid now as a buyer and will give it a try. Will feedback any thoughts I have on the experience - the registration seemed straightforward anyway
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Sep 09, 11:27 AM
    • 55,326 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    soolin
    I was wondering if people were still using it to buy and sell and if the overall perception had improved. Also if buyers thought the numbers were increasing on there i.e. the sales results were getting better.

Thanks for the link to the other topic, reading that as I go.

I have registered on eBid now as a buyer and will give it a try. Will feedback any thoughts I have on the experience - the registration seemed straightforward anyway
    Originally posted by ghl
    If you are under the impression that ebid is new then you may want to check out registration dates as they are virtually the same age.

Ebay.uk is a fraction over 10 years old, ebid approx 9 years. I have been registered on ebid for over 5 years without a single sale. I actually took off all my listings about 5 months ago as in terms of time it was costing me too much, but decided to re add a few listings in the interest of fairness as without listings currently live I felt that I would be unable to make comments about how ebid is progressing. Also in the interest of fairness I list the same items, although I have listed slightly cheaper on ebid to account for the fact that there are no listing fees.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • ghl
    Soolin,
    no, I realised that eBid had been around since the late 90's (even though I've only just found them!), I had forgotten however that eBay had only been around for a similar length of time.

I just like the idea that there should be some form of competition for eBay. I personally don't like the fact on eBay that you're forced down Paypal as a payment route if you're a seller, and that there are multiple places where eBay/Paypal take their cut - on listing, on selling, on payment - it's almost like they want you to forget how much money you're giving to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,206Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter