Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Tmobile price increase (Page 17)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tmobile price increase
Views: 124,050
# 321
d123
Old 25-04-2013, 5:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruflonger View Post
Have screen shot but don't know how to post it here. Insert image only provides http:// link
I've PMed you an email address, if you can send it to me I'll upload it somewhere and then add it to the thread.

To do it yourself you need to upload it to somewhere like Flickr, Photobucket or similar, once it's there it will have an [IMG] link to use, which you post into the post.

==
==
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to d123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 322
powerful_Rogue
Old 25-04-2013, 6:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Heres the facebook picture ruflonger mentioned earlier on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powerful_Rogue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 323
d123
Old 25-04-2013, 6:32 PM

Thank you, another nail for the coffin

==
==
# 324
RandomCurve
Old 25-04-2013, 7:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default T-Mobile Cancel Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna2007 View Post
I've also received a letter today, I think it's in response to my original letter received by T-Mobile on 9 April. Seems just a generic response, but what strikes me is that, unlike the written notice, it is specifically dated 10 April 2013, and states "The rise is in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI) which is currently at 3.3%". To me, this is definitive proof that they are simply quoting the incorrect rate, rather than the future one?

Does your letter of 9 April say the same?
I would not go down the route of "simply quoting the incorrect rate" as there may be some clause hidden away that allows them off the hook for "genuine mistakes". I'd keep on the path you have been which is they are in breach of contract for trying to impose an RPI higher than they are allowed to.
I would use that letter to send to the ONS re my early post regarding a leak at ONS, I think if ONS take this up with T-Mobile they will soon have to admit they are not using March RPI.

I have not contacted ONS myself as I am a post Oct 2012 customer, but if I were pre Oct I would write to ONS stating that you have reason to believe there may have been a leak of stats to T-Mobile as you received this letter date 10th April that refers to current RPI being 3.3%. and then asking them to investigate the leak as per clause (what ever it was) from their own publication.
# 325
RandomCurve
Old 25-04-2013, 7:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default T-Mobile breach of contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
Thank you, another nail for the coffin

For Post Oct 12customersT-Mobile have not only provided enough nails - they have also shut the lid and hammered them in!!! The contract states (copiedfrom their letter to me trying to say that were not in breach)

Clause 7.2.3.3. of our terms state that we will use astatistical measure of RPI publishedon a date as close as reasonably possiblebefore the date weprovide our customers with written notice”

Writtennotice was between 5-8 April and the RPI published on a date before that was February’sfigure of 3.2% published on 19 March 16 day gap. T-Mobile may try to claim thatthe time between 19th March and 5 April is unreasonable and thereforethey have used Januarys figure. However if you look back at posts #180 and #182Guysdad and anna2007 you can see that T-Mobile managed to notify customerswithin 8 days of the RPI being published last year –Feb 2012 RPI published 20 March 2012, T-Mobileletter dated 28 March.

CASECLOSED
# 326
anna2007
Old 25-04-2013, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCurve View Post
I would not go down the route of "simply quoting the incorrect rate" as there may be some clause hidden away that allows them off the hook for "genuine mistakes".
Thanks, I hadn't thought of it like that. I wonder how many 'genuine mistakes' they're allowed to make

Quote:
I would use that letter to send to the ONS re my early post regarding a leak at ONS, I think if ONS take this up with T-Mobile they will soon have to admit they are not using March RPI.

I have not contacted ONS myself as I am a post Oct 2012 customer, but if I were pre Oct I would write to ONS stating that you have reason to believe there may have been a leak of stats to T-Mobile as you received this letter date 10th April that refers to current RPI being 3.3%. and then asking them to investigate the leak as per clause (what ever it was) from their own publication.
I emailed the ONS this morning (before I'd seen the T-Mobile letter), asking about pre-release access, explaining that T-Mobile are saying they have used the latest rate (forwarded EE's email of 19th) and asking them to investigate. They emailed me back this afternoon:

Dear Anna

Thank you for your email.

The following is a link to the latest Consumer Price Index / Retail Price Index pre release access March 2013.
The phrase 'Pre-release Access' refers to the practice whereby official statistics in their final form, and any accompanying written commentary, are made available to an eligible person in advance of their publication. The rules and principles which govern pre-release access are featured within the Pre-release Access to Official Statistics Order 2008.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/march-2013/consumer-prices-inflation-pre-release-access-list--march-2013.html

They didn't comment on the T-Mobile issue, so I'll follow up with another email and a copy of the latest letter.
# 327
RandomCurve
Old 25-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Publicity needed T- Mobile breach contract

I have just emailed the below to the following newspapers (as Which are taking their time at getting back to me):
  1. Express
  2. London Evening Standard,
  3. Manchester Evening news,
  4. Metro, Daily Mirror,
  5. The Sun
  6. The Times,
  7. Daily Mail, and
  8. FT.
Re: 2 Million Customers to leave T-Mobile?

DearSir,

You may be aware that T-Mobile increased its prices Mid-term on “fixed contracts”, however what you may be unaware of is that unlike other mobile phone companies T-Mobile has mis-timed its letters and is now in Breach of contract. This gives customers the right to terminate their contract without penalty IF they contact T-Mobile before 9th May.

For proof of this please see the email response I received from T-Mobile when I tried to cancel the contract (and my reply letter attached (T-Mobile 3 BLANK - I have removed personal information)). I think it is plain to see that the Breach is real.

T-Mobile are obviously trying to hush this up until after 9th May, by refusing to cancel contracts and delaying responses to letters, but I think your readers may have a genuine interest if you were to run this story.

I would be happy to speak with you (07XXX-XXXXXX) if you would like to discuss.

Note there are two different T-Mobile contracts the one below where it is clear a breach has taken place, an another one which is a little more complex, however I believe that contract has also been breached, and in any case it would be wise for customers to write to T-Mobile immediately as if a breach is proved they would have lost their cancellation rights by not writing in.

Regards

I put the above as a "Forward" with the T-Mobile "Not in breach defence" and attached my letter which points out the difference between the words BEFORE and CLOSEST TO.

Hopefully someone will take up the story!
# 328
RandomCurve
Old 25-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.mediauk.com/newspapers/starting-with/a

Above link takes you to a site where you can obtain contact details for the media should you also want to try and generate some publicity.

Last edited by RandomCurve; 25-04-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spellings - and I'm the one with the Dictionary!!!
# 329
RandomCurve
Old 25-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default T-mobile Price rise 2013

Quote:

They didn't comment on the T-Mobile issue, so I'll follow up with another email and a copy of the latest letter.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
# 330
d123
Old 26-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Reminds me that Martin is still too busy doing all his TV appearances to get involved

Not even a single tweet

Nice to have a little help from him (or not).

==
==
# 331
shedder101
Old 26-04-2013, 6:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

is Martin on T Mobile? dont want to rock the boat
# 332
d123
Old 26-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedder101 View Post
is Martin on T Mobile? dont want to rock the boat
I would think not, if he was, he would probably then be more inclined to have helped.

But then after selling up to MoneySupermarket.com he isn't short of a few £, so it isn't really an issue for him anymore .

I suspect that since selling the website he is less worried about the MSE consumer side of things and more about his "celebrity" TV side. Bit of a shame.

==
==
# 333
anna2007
Old 26-04-2013, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I have just emailed the below to the following newspapers (as Which are taking their time at getting back to me):

Hopefully someone will take up the story!
BBC Watchdog's new series starts next Wednesday, and they're doing a report on mobile phone companies - might be worth sending your email to them (watchdog@bbc.co.uk or there's a form on the website)?

I emailed Which, the Guardian, MSE News and a couple of others last Sunday, all had run stories on the price increase at the start of March - I've had zero response (other than Which's automated response)

Last edited by anna2007; 26-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
# 334
anna2007
Old 26-04-2013, 11:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
I would think not, if he was, he would probably then be more inclined to have helped.

But then after selling up to MoneySupermarket.com he isn't short of a few £, so it isn't really an issue for him anymore .

I suspect that since selling the website he is less worried about the MSE consumer side of things and more about his "celebrity" TV side. Bit of a shame.
I see he's still plugging the 1p toblerones in the weekly email though
# 335
shedder101
Old 26-04-2013, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

well in todays post was a final bill for the cancelation charge, a credit for part month and stating the account is now closed

i have 30 days to pay so then i will expect a red bill and threats

still nothing from my letter i sent them
# 336
d123
Old 26-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivag1961 View Post

First I, like others think it is manifestly unfair for a company to hike their prices mid 'FIXED TERM' contract. This regardless of the fact that they have a nice little clause hidden away for this purpose.

Second I can see no where in my contract which says T Mobile can use RPI and not CPI.

>>snipped

I'd be most interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.
I'm on my phone and your big blocks of text are hard to read.

But a few things near the top caught my eye.

Could I suggest you read through this entire topic, it will give you a better understanding, with regard to RPI/CPI, the contract does state RPI, for example in 7.2.3.3.

Also, you aren't on a FIXED term, the T&Cs allow for increases, but should those increases exceed RPI it allows redress in cancelling.

You might have gone about it all the wrong way, go back and see all the points already raised in the thread, you have until the 9th to ensure you can cancel without penalty.

==
==
# 337
RandomCurve
Old 26-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Shame on T-Mobile

Quote:
BBC Watchdog's new series starts next Wednesday, and they're doing a report on mobile phone companies - might be worth sending your email to them (watchdog@bbc.co.uk or there's a form on the website)?

I emailed Which, the Guardian, MSE News and a couple of others last Saturday, all had run stories on the price increase at the start of March - I've had zero response (other than Which's automated response)
Don't waste time with the Guardian - I also tried them (for same reason as you), but since found out they have signed a "news" deal with EE!!!

Letter sent to Watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Can everyone reading this send an email to Watchdog with the same header: T-Mobile mi​s judgement leads to​ Breach of Contract.

And then just send a brief note attaching relevant emails/letters.

There are over 12,000 views on this topic - if you really are angry about this then - DON'T GET MAD GET EEVEN -And send an email!!!

Everyone Elsewhere

# 338
shedder101
Old 26-04-2013, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

I emailed Which, the Guardian, MSE News and a couple of others last Saturday, all had run stories on the price increase at the start of March - I've had zero response (other than Which's automated response)
i have already sent watchdog an email about this very subject but no response, pity they are not a rouge trader conning an OAP they would be all over it
# 339
anna2007
Old 26-04-2013, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedder101 View Post
i have already sent watchdog an email about this very subject but no response, pity they are not a rouge trader conning an OAP they would be all over it
Have just sent my email to Watchdog - they do take on the big guys too, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility, IF enough of us raise the issue.

I agree with RandomCurve - if EVERY T-Mobile customer who has taken the time to read this thread could email Watchdog (even if you're still waiting for a written response from T-Mobile, but have been told you can't cancel without penalty) - it only takes 2 minutes of your time - it may be enough to get Watchdog interested.

You never know, we might get to see Olaf squirming in the hot seat as he gets a grilling from Anne - that's got to be worth 2 minutes of your time!

watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Last edited by anna2007; 26-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
# 340
d123
Old 26-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivag1961 View Post
NO my terms actually do not say RPI. They say "reasonable adjustment for costs increases" and yes I am on a fixed term though they like to call 'initial contract term' or some other thing. An elephant is still an elephant even if T mobile (and you) elect to call it a cat.

Using incorrect terminology just weakens your case, it isn't a fixed term, it is a minimum term contract. This distinction has been argued to death on this very forum.

When did you start your current contract?

The pre-Oct T&Cs definitely state RPI, others with post Oct contracts have posted of RPI in their contract T&Cs (for eg. Randomcurve yesterday, a number of posts up this page).

==
==