Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rwalton159
    • By rwalton159 12th Jan 13, 9:56 AM
    • 454Posts
    • 87Thanks
    rwalton159
    Best Android Sat Nav App
    • 12th Jan 13, 9:56 AM
    Best Android Sat Nav App 12th Jan 13 at 9:56 AM
    What's the best Sat Nav app for Android please?

I tried Co Pilot and found it useless.
    I then Waze and Googlemaps but they rely on mobile data and the connection can drop whilst driving (even in 2013 no network is perfect).

I am now trying Tom Tom and Navfree.

What do members recommend please?
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Jan 13, 10:11 AM
    • 10,949 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Jan 13, 10:11 AM
    • 12th Jan 13, 10:11 AM
    Navfree has not let me down yet, googlemaps is good but you don't want to use data, Sygic is good, it depends if you want to pay something towards your convenience.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 12th Jan 13, 11:45 AM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 12th Jan 13, 11:45 AM
    • 12th Jan 13, 11:45 AM
    Its between google maps and tomtom in my opinion
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 12th Jan 13, 11:56 AM
    • 12,808 Posts
    • 11,425 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 12th Jan 13, 11:56 AM
    • 12th Jan 13, 11:56 AM
    I use sygic on mine found it good when we went on holiday last Summer
    • rwalton159
    • By rwalton159 12th Jan 13, 5:39 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    rwalton159
    • 12th Jan 13, 5:39 PM
    • 12th Jan 13, 5:39 PM
    Many thanks for the feedback.
  • luci
    • 12th Jan 13, 6:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 13, 6:42 PM
    I've only tried a couple. The one that was installed on the phone was useless as it took half a mile to find location.

Tried M8 and found it quite good.
    • rwalton159
    • By rwalton159 13th Jan 13, 1:08 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    rwalton159
    • 13th Jan 13, 1:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 13, 1:08 PM
    Any other feedback please?
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 13th Jan 13, 3:06 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    • 13th Jan 13, 3:06 PM
    • 13th Jan 13, 3:06 PM
    I installed navfree as you can download the maps at home so don't need a data connection - though tbh I haven't had a need to actually use it so can't comment on how good the directions are
  • kelfen
    • 13th Jan 13, 3:17 PM
    • 13th Jan 13, 3:17 PM
    I have navfree too, it doesn't always recognise house numbers but it will direct near perfectly to the bit of the road you need to be on.
    * Jan NSD *
    *Debt total £86.78.82*
    *Debts left to pay: 10 *

*Weight Loss: I was: 210lbs ...NOW: 196 lbs *
    • rwalton159
    • By rwalton159 13th Jan 13, 6:25 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    rwalton159
    I have navfree too, it doesn't always recognise house numbers but it will direct near perfectly to the bit of the road you need to be on.
    Originally posted by kelfen
    Yes, I found that yesterday when testing it. Problem is it said I had arrived at my destination when I was at the back of the house I was going to and on a different road.

Also, it did not redirect my route quick enough when I didn't make the turn it wanted me to.

Waze and Googlemaps are better. I use GG so don't have a real issue with data useage - more of a concern with disconnection i.e. at a local sports centre the data signal is impaired by the building.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 13th Jan 13, 8:39 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    Sygic is by far the beast Android sat nav I've come across but it has one major failing - night mode is far too bright. Mind you, I am using it on a Nexus 7 so it's a fairly large screen.

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.
    • imr4n
    • By imr4n 13th Jan 13, 9:28 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    imr4n
    Ive used Copilot for a couple of years and has never let me down.
    • Lifes Grand Plan
    • By Lifes Grand Plan 13th Jan 13, 9:59 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Lifes Grand Plan
    OP, you do realise that even though Google maps and Waze need data connection.... they will both still work if your data connection drops out...

GMaps is great but I use Waze personally, it's excellent with the traffic updates and rerouting.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
    • Lifes Grand Plan
    • By Lifes Grand Plan 13th Jan 13, 10:00 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Lifes Grand Plan
    Sygic is by far the beast Android sat nav I've come across .
    Originally posted by ciderboy2009
    What makes it so good?
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
    • misiek404
    • By misiek404 13th Jan 13, 10:12 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    misiek404
    GMaps is great but I use Waze personally, it's excellent with the traffic updates and rerouting.
    Originally posted by Lifes Grand Plan
    I use Waze too. It is pretty decent although it has annoying popup traffic messages quite often. I switched them off in the settings but they still come up occasionally
    • mealmond
    • By mealmond 14th Jan 13, 7:32 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    mealmond
    Hi

I use Co-Pilot and have for a few years.

Never had a problem, takes me where I need to go and accepts house numbers.

Some people give bad reviews, each to their own, I have had a look at Tom Tom recently, but I cannot see it doing anything better.

Martin
    Been there, done that, now I want to do it cheaper!!
    • Stooby2
    • By Stooby2 14th Jan 13, 8:48 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Stooby2
    The big problem with any of the Satnav system that use data is that when there's a major holdup, the local cell becomes very rapidly overloaded by all the users stuck in traffic, trying to use Googlemaps to find a way out, update Facebook about the queue, etc, so the data flow stops or becomes incredibly slow. (A bit like Central London at lunchtime). Personally I'd go for TomTom or something similar.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 14th Jan 13, 9:48 AM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    wongataa
    The big problem with any of the Satnav system that use data is that when there's a major holdup, the local cell becomes very rapidly overloaded by all the users stuck in traffic, trying to use Googlemaps to find a way out, update Facebook about the queue, etc, so the data flow stops or becomes incredibly slow. (A bit like Central London at lunchtime). Personally I'd go for TomTom or something similar.
    Originally posted by Stooby2
    If you download the Google Maps that cover your route that becomes a non issue :-)
    • Stooby2
    • By Stooby2 14th Jan 13, 11:08 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Stooby2
    That's great until you're diverted off your route along with a whole motorway full of other drivers.
  • terminology
    This may or may not be any help for people but if your finding that your GPS is a little laggy you can always change the GPS servers internally on the phone for example if you are in the UK and not Europe you can change the servers to UK servers by modifying the NTP_SERVER line in the .config file.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,771Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin