What benefits would a single mother get?

Options
I am soon to be out of a job......I have 3 children aged 13,11 and 6 what benefits would i be able to claim and any idea how much. I have a mortgage so no rent.
Stressed out about it! as think i wont be able to survive

Comments

• epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    Job Seekers Allowance C & IB
    Mortgage Interest relief
    Council Tax Benefit
    Child Benefit
    Child tax credits.

Unless you are pregnant more than 28 weeks or you get Carers Allowance then you could claim Income Support instead of JSA.
  • weeble3
    weeble3 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am finding this all overwhelming.....I have told work if they want to get rid of me they need to make me redundant as am i right in saying if i give notice i dont get benefits
  • Mara69
    Mara69 Posts: 1,409 Forumite
    Options
    weeble3 wrote: »
    I am finding this all overwhelming.....I have told work if they want to get rid of me they need to make me redundant as am i right in saying if i give notice i dont get benefits

Well you might be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks.

Luckily having children means that you'll be quids in :)
  • epitome
    Options
    If you give notice you usually won't get JSA for 6 months
    If you take voluntary redundancy you might get JSA - there are rules about had you not taken the voluntary redundancy you would have been made redundant anyway then you can get JSA. (be careful)

However, if you qualify for JSA IB, there could be an advantage to take voluntary redundancy.....if you are disallowed for JSA it will be for 6 months, 6 months at £71 per week you work it out...£1800 ? Of course you also lose out on mortgage payments for 3 months and possibly council tax benefit...

So if your voluntary redundancy package is worth more to you than you would get on benefits for 6 months then it could be the better option.

Mortgage help kicks in after 3 months.
  • weeble3
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    If you give notice you usually won't get JSA for 6 months
    If you take voluntary redundancy you might get JSA - there are rules about had you not taken the voluntary redundancy you would have been made redundant anyway then you can get JSA. (be careful)

However, if you qualify for JSA IB, there could be an advantage to take voluntary redundancy.....if you are disallowed for JSA it will be for 6 months, 6 months at £71 per week you work it out...£1800 ? Of course you also lose out on mortgage payments for 3 months and possibly council tax benefit...

So if your voluntary redundancy package is worth more to you than you would get on benefits for 6 months then it could be the better option.

Mortgage help kicks in after 3 months.

a redundancy package would be worth at best £1200 but work agreed to make me redundant end jan but now have put in writing to me as if I have handed notice in and if i dont find a job ill leave end of january. So basically given me till end january to find another job. But I have now put in writing saying I have not given notice and that if they need to restructure i need to leave on statutory redundancy terms. yikkees havent got a clue about all this stuff....scared to death
  • weeble3
    Options
    Mara69 wrote: »
    Well you might be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks.

Luckily having children means that you'll be quids in :)

I dont understand why will i be quids in i am scared to death of the financial impact of all this x
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont resign. Full stop. Unless or course youj find another job. You can easily be sanctioned.

It makes no difference to you benefits whether you are either made redundant or take voluntary redundancy.

Try not to worry too much and put your details into the benefits calculator.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 9:20PM
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    Unless you are pregnant more than 28 weeks or you get Carers Allowance then you could claim Income Support instead of JSA.

It may have to be JSA as the OP said her youngest child is age 6.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/lone-parents/
    Lone parents who are capable of work can claim Income Support solely as a lone parent until their youngest child reaches age five. They will then ordinarily need to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance and seek work.

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) kicks in 13 weeks after your claim and is limited to 2 years for JSA claimants. The interest only is paid (not the repayment part) at the current rate of 3.63%. Some other conditions too. https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest/what-youll-get
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• epitome
    Options
    It may have to be JSA as the OP said her youngest child is age 6.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/lone-parents/
    Lone parents who are capable of work can claim Income Support solely as a lone parent until their youngest child reaches age five. They will then ordinarily need to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance and seek work.

As I said, ......unless she is pregnant more than 28 weeks or gets Carers Allowance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure