PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CMPM27 wrote: »
    I used the MSE letter template to request some additional details including the 'I look forward to a response within 12 working days' line. I
    Which "template" is this, exactly? A SAR takes 40 days and the Bank are allowed eight weeks to process a PPI complaint.

Is this for terms and conditions? You do realise that these are only useful if the account is still open and you have no knowledge of account numbers etc?
  • yellowlally
    Options
    Hi, just want to know if anyone thinks I have a valid claim here. I took out a Natwest (RBS) credit card years ago, and noticed that I was paying PPI on a couple of years ago which I promptly cancelled. I have just realised that it is possible to reclaim if it was mis-sold initially so I put in a claim on the basis that I do not recall ever being actually 'sold' this insurance, I certainly did not ask for it. Today they have answered my claim, rejecting it, sending me a blank copy of an application form which they say I would have signed at the time, and on which I would have had to sign for PPI. My claim was based on the fact that I didnt want it (cancelled it 2 years ago), didnt need it (full time employed, generous sick pay etc) and didnt ask for it (genuinely do not remember completing a form). Sounds to me like they have lost the original documentation and are just assuming that this blank form they sent me is the one I completed. I really cannot remember how I applied for this card, it was too long ago, but I have a feeling it was done in the bank. Does anyone think I have a valid claim, and if so, is the next step the Ombudsman? Any help much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Please stop spamming the forum with the same post.
  • yellowlally
    Options
    Please stop spamming the forum with the same post.
    Sorry? Are you talking to me? How rude! You're right it might look like spamming but when I checked back I couldnt see mine so I reposted it! However, I can now see that it was posted at 1.07 so if I have spammed I've only done it once. Dont think rudeness is necessary tho, Im only asking for a bit of advice from someone who knows what they're doing with this PPI stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dont think rudeness is necessary tho, Im only asking for a bit of advice from someone who knows what they're doing with this PPI stuff.
    "Please" is rude?
    What must you think of the bank's rejection letter, then?

Sorry, I have no idea whether your complaint will have any success at FOS and I don't want to be accused of being "rude" by telling you anything other than that.
  • yellowlally
    Options
    "Please" is rude?
    What must you think of the bank's rejection letter, then?

Sorry, I have no idea whether your complaint will have any success at FOS and I don't want to be accused of being "rude" by telling you anything other than that.

Saying please isnt rude, accusing someone of spamming could be considered a little rude! And I wasnt asking for anyone to tell me if my complaint would succeed or not, just whether I should bother with the FOS. I dont want to waste my time or theirs if its not a valid complaint. But hey ho, will await to see if anyone has any ideas.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wasnt asking for anyone to tell me if my complaint would succeed or not, just whether I should bother with the FOS. I dont want to waste my time or theirs if its not a valid complaint. But hey ho, will await to see if anyone has any ideas.
    Okay, let's start again (on a better footing, I hope!)
    The Bank have sent you a copy of an application form which you would have signed, but not the original? This means their evidence is less than conclusive. However, you have no evidence (or memory) to show that you didn't sign.
    Stalemate, I think.

Take it FOS and see what they make of it, but you weaken your case by being unsure of what actually happened (which is only slightly better than making something up).

Do be aware it takes a year or more for FOS to adjudicate!
  • Gladywaddy
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new on here so be gentle please. I'd really appreciate some advice please. I submitted a PPI mis-selling complaint to Egg using the address in Derby.

The reasons I gave in my complaint were:

I wasn't made aware PPI was optional and would have just accepted it was part of the agreement and no one asked me what cover I already had.

I also explained in my complaint that my employer terms were
    sick pay = 6 months full pay, 6 months half-pay followed by pension rate pay. Redundancy = approx 18 months paid lump sum. In addition I already had life assurance as part of my mortgage covering accident, sickness and redundancy as well as death in service lump sum from my work pension.

They have responded saying

"...you purchased the insurance through the Egg website on 04 March 2001. Our online sales process:
    • Does not require you to take repayment protection insurance as a condition of obtaining the credit card.
    • Does not provide an advisory service.
    • Required you to positively confirm that you wished to purchase this policy during the online application.
    • Provided full terms and conditions of the policy and requested you read them before submitting.
    In light of the above we are unable to uphold your complaint and can confirm it has been closed." The letter goes on to say this is their final response and that I have 6 months to refer to the FOS.

I replied with a letter I found on this forum stating"...
    I refer to my complaint with regards to the mis-sold insurance opened with my account.
    Obviously you are aware of the outcome of the high court ruling with regards to miss-selling of PPI insurance, and it has also come to my notice from well known consumer internet forums that in 2001 when I applied for the account online the insurance box was pre-selected and had to be un-selected by the customer if it were to be not required.

I do not feel your letter has offered a satisfactory justification that my policy was sold fairly, reasonably and within my best interests so I request that you look into my complaint again. If I do not receive a more favourable response from you within 14 days I will not hesitate in taking my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service which may result in legal action being sought as part of the process."

Egg have responded saying that their position remains unchanged.

Am I flogging a dead horse or should I refer my complaint to FOS?
    [FONT=&quot]

Thanks in advance
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • Jenida
    Options
    I need some advice please. I've just filled in the PPI Template on Martin's site and now don't really know who to send it to as it wasn't a bank that mis sold this to me. It was an insurance company selling the PPI insurance against an accident,sickness and unemployment policy. So do I send it straight to the financial ombudsmen or to the insurance company.

Thanks.
  • Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so if i'm repeating things please bear with me.

I've decided to have a go at reclaiming my PPI which i had on a couple of loans between 2002 - 2005 and also on a credit card taken out in 2002.
    all were with HSBC, the loans were closed a few years ago, were never defaulted against and if i remeber rightly paid off early by another loan (They always used to offer another loan as you got close to end of one)
    The credit card is still open and still used although i cancelled the PPI a few years ago when i realised it was worthless as i'd get full sick pay from work should I become ill and would be paid redundancy if that scenario were to occur (it did in 2008). The PPI was taken out at the time of opening the card.
    I also have my current account with HSBC.

Now, the problem i have is i have no idea if i asked for the PPI on these accounts or if it was explained to me properly. All i know is that it was unsuitable because of my benefits from work (i worked for the NHS) in fact i think i mentioned this on the last loan i had from them taken out in Feb 2005 when they asked if i would like PPI.

Does anybody know if i'm likely to win should i make a complaint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure