Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    • 1,879Posts
    • 5,420Thanks
    Munchin
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy
    • 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy 26th Nov 11 at 9:07 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm not new to MSE and have had a debt free diary before but it's time to start afresh and hide behind a new user name

My last diary helped me clear my debts which were about £10,000. However as you can see my debts have creeped back up but are manageable.

Firstly, I will tell you a bit about myself. I still live at home with my Mum (I'm 37!!) and have a lovely BF of 4 1/2 years. I split my time between home and his house and if a sparkler doesn't appear next year there will be words.

I'm in recover from bulimia. You have no idea how wonderful it is to say that I'm finally in recovery after 11 long horrible years of this illness. I never mentioned this on my last diary and I've never told family or friends. However I have been seeing a lovely councillor and it was actually a website that gave me the encouragement to start and stick with recovery. It's early days but I feel that this community is so supportive that it's important to be as honest as I can in this new diary.

Now where did the debts come from. In my last diary I was paying off - double glazing; the world's crappiest car and all it's repairs and a credit card bill that had decided to shoot for the sky at over £5000. i plugged away and cleared them all earlier this year. However, the bottom less pit of a car needed more repairs and it just wasn't worth putting anymore money into it. I got a second hand car and took out a loan at £6000 + interest = £6600 and am paying that off over 2 years at £275 a month (I have £4400 still to pay). The repayments are ok but I want the debt gone quickly.

I've also got £1,093.55 on my tesco credit card and have set up a dd for £100 a month. If I can add to that I will.

Finally my next store card is sitting at £114.75. As part of my recovery I've gone up a dress size and rather than torturing myself squeezing into too small clothes I bought some new ones.

I also have a cash back card which I use monthly for diesel and groceries. I need to reign this card in as I've started adding things onto it that I don't need.

So total in debts I have £5608.30

I've cleared it before and I'll do it again. I'm going to join a couple of challenges and the next thing I need to do is a an SOA

Last edited by Munchin; 26-11-2011 at 1:13 PM.
    Debt (Car) -£ 9,000/£8,300 (7% paid);
    1 debt vs 100 days part 24 - Target: £1100/£700; NSDs - 8/10;

EF
    #13:£1550/£10,000 (15%),
    Holiday -£300. Xmas savings - £51.
    Total savings = £1901

Page 58
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

I'm a bit slower getting myself sorted this morning but its Monday so it is understandable. I've been rushing into work every morning and staying late because of everything I have to do but I think I'm going to take it a wee bit easier in the mornings from now on - will see how long that lasts .

My weekend was really quiet with only some grocery shopping and tidying around the house. The next few weekends are going to be busy so I appreciated my quiet weekends. Today is work followed by volunteering so I better get my self sorted.

Have fun today.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 22nd Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

So I'm back in debt but it's debt that I know where the money went to....on a new to me car . I've borrowed the money of OH so it's interest free and although he's not going to stress about when I pay the money back I don't want to be in debt to him for long. Starting from Nov I'm going to aim to pay him back £350 per month and anything extra I will chuck into savings. Obviously I want it cleared tomorrow but I will slog away at it.

Today was a pampering day at yoga & the beauticians but to balance that out I cleaned the house and did the ironing. I'm meeting a friend tomorrow for lunch and then I need to see a friend to give her money towards a hen night in a few weeks.

I've just made a cup of tea and am waiting for OH to get home to see what our plans will be this evening....problem tv
    Last edited by Munchin; 22-10-2016 at 7:17 PM.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

Payday phew

Things are mad busy at the moment & my Ed is creeping back. I need to see about shifting some of this recent stress & responsibility. I spoke to a colleague who is also inundated & she said she goes home with a tight chest & I know the feeling.

I have a management meeting this morning so I'm going to try & ensure I don't take anything else on.

I should see my Ed as a sign that things are getting a bit too much & rebalance which is code for keep head under duvet for a bit longer.

I'm taking nephew to a fireworks display tonight & meeting sister & the rest of my family there.

Money front - I got my night shift money & for 3 nights it's just over £300 - I want to build up a month of salary in my account.

Ok time to hit the road
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 31st Oct 16, 6:37 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

It was a bit of a bleurgh weekend on the emotion front but am slowly dragging myself back out of it again. If anyone seen me yesterday they would have thought I'd lost the plot. I went for walk along the beach with OH and after about a mile my boot started to rub and I had a mile to walk back. I just took off my boots and walked in my bare feet- which was absolutely lovely and paddled in the water....all sounds good until you realise I was on a beach in N Ireland and not the Algarve and I'm sure the penguins were waving from the water . It was bliss.

I'm going to speak to my boss about changing my working pattern again as I'm struggling to stay on top of things. I'm expecting an embarrassing dressing down from senior management this morning which has been playing on my mind all weekend.

On happier front - my Mum is having a Halloween party tonight and I expect lots of family and cousins. ED front is slowing getting back in line and I still have lots of money as no direct debits have gone out yet of my account yet . This 1 hour extra in bed means I've been awake from 5am which was 6am before. Time to take on the mountain of paperwork. Have a good day.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Nov 16, 7:00 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

Mmmm all a bit strange -The senior management dressing down didn't happen & I got commended for being proactive....maybe he didn't realise what I had done...

Lots of direct debits racing out of my account so I no longer have any money

I don't have a lot of plans today but now that my knee has settled down I'm going to start going back to the free work gym in the morning.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 1st Nov 16, 7:33 AM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 22,739 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Maybe the work thing appeared bigger to you than it actually was.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 2nd Nov 16, 8:25 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi INOD - you could be right but unfortunately I didn't see it. Still struggling but I think things are on the turn for me.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Nov 16, 6:56 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I forgot I have to go to my dentist this morning but at least I don't have to rush out of the house. I was hoping for a 3 day NSD streak which hasn't happened in a while but at least it's a necessary spend.

I'm on a half day tmw & I'm off Monday as I'm heading to a hen party. I have an appt to get hair cut tmw & then wee sis is booked in for nails & tan. Ok she's not very gentle but she is cheap

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 5th Nov 16, 7:23 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I went to see my doctor yesterday just because I was worried my ED urges were coming back so she has referred me for counselling. I actually had a light bulb moment in the morning & was going to cancel docs. I realised that the work stress & Ed urges are related but separate. I was panicking about the ED coming back which was stressing me out but realised I have to forget that & see the stress at work for what it is & separate the 2.

I'm also going to call my local council gym. If their membership includes pool & classes then I will join but if it's pool & gym then I will pay for classes. I hate the gym so £30 would be better towards the classes. I have neglected exercise with knee probs but touch wood knee is ok so it's time to ease myself back into exercise.

Looking forward to hen weekend - sister has me primped & preened. I have a bottle of proseeco chilling in the fridge. High heels at the ready.

Sister in England has booked her holidays home for xmas and she should be here for a long weekend. I've been recommended a local restaurant that does high tea for £12 - it's a bit of a tradition for us to go shopping (sisters & mum) then high tea at Xmas.

Money front - doing ok. Will chip away at car debt but I love my new to me car and hopefully I can get a good few years out of it.

Plans today -
    • Hoover & tidy house
    • Ring council gym
    • Pack
    • Have fun & relax.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Nov 16, 5:16 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi

I had a fantastic weekend and only spent £50 and a bit of change . We had already paid B&B and evening meal and the hotel provided x number of bottles of prosecco for the party as part of the package. We went into the City and had lunch with a few cocktails and then made our way back to hotel for dinner and dancing. I got home yesterday afternoon and had a bit of a vegging day.

I took today on leave and this morning I went for a run in the local forest with my dog. It was gorgeous and frosty and at 2 points deer skipped across the path in the distance. The pup hid behind me so I had no fear he would annoy them but made sure he was on his lead just in case. I managed a mile jog and then walked another mile with my Mum and felt fantastic - knee niggled but that is now the way it is.

After the run I had so much energy that I ironed the clothes and cleaned out the spare room which is a dumping ground. I managed to wash 3 windows (the rest had the sun on them). I cleaned out a bedroom and ran out of time because I had to go volunteer and pick up my nephew. Nephew no 2 made me a hot chocolate with cream on top.

I need to find a running plan to ease myself back into regular running. I'm so lucky that my work has a free tiny gym which has a treadmill as it is nearly impossible to run near me in the next month because of lack of light and frost.

Ok I will probably crawl into bed at 8pm but at least I feel good in myself and a few more nights out and runs could help improve my mojo in general
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 12th Nov 16, 4:41 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

Confession - I had a bit of a mad spending spree on the Debenhams website this week but commonsense prevailed and everything was returned to the post office today. I don't know why - still on the fed up mindset and stressed but feeling better as each day goes on.

Work is starting to settle and my stress levels are reducing. I have so much leave that I now have every Friday booked off until after Xmas and 2 weeks in January. I hadn't been taking my leave as I was inundated with work but I was just making myself feel worse so it will be short weeks all the way. I'm trying to put me first.

I was a mini bit spendy today but all accounted for - I have 2 Xmas presents bought and pooch got a hair cut today. I went to a new groomers who is just starting out in her business and she is only half a mile for me - she did a great job and was half the price of the previous place - very pleased .

I'm starting at a new gym this Monday coming and am looking forward to it. Hopefully the exercise will continue to pull me out of the funk.

OH is working at his brother's place today and we've already agreed that dinner will be take out. I'm just killing time now until I go get it. Plans tomorrow - not much and that will be bliss
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 12th Nov 16, 6:28 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    What sort of pooch do you have Munchin
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Nov 16, 8:57 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi huskyrunner - he is a small Yorkshire terrier - my cousin's dog had a litter which I just went to see .............. but not take one ...... he crawled into my lap and that was that. Am I right you have 5?? I wld love more. Will pop over & read ur diary today
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 13th Nov 16, 3:48 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    Haha errrrr no lol

We have 5 adults huskies an elderly staffie terrier who is 14 year old. And we have two boy puppies who are 6 weeks old today. One of the pups has a new working home in January

I havent a clue how too put pics up on here otherwise i would show you the boys
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 13th Nov 16, 4:21 PM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi HR - would love to see them but don't worry Ive only ever managed about 1 photo & that was more luck than anything.

Today wasn't an NSD as we went for a bracing walk on the beach & then stopped at Lidl on way home. I can say the cobwebs were well and truly blown away. I'm now wrapped up in front of the fire.

I've got my induction at gym tomorrow and am a bit nervous as apart from yoga I've done nothing for months & im conscious of how unfit I am but that will improve....
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 13th Nov 16, 4:28 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    I dont know if you can see my profile avatar thingy but thats my oh running 3 of them at a race in scotland.
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Nov 16, 7:21 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I had my gym induction yesterday & was put though my paces. I'm a bit achy & sore today - so unfit. I'm hoping to go 3 times a week because I felt so good all day yesterday and I have to remember that happy high.

I'm on night duty tonight so I need to pack clothes for tonight, workwear for tomorrow & gym clothes for tmw - I'm bound to forget something .
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 15th Nov 16, 11:11 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    Exercise endorphin rush can not be beaten.

Doms however is a nightmare an aspirin or two pre bed will work wonders lol
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Nov 16, 6:47 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi hr - yup took a tablet yesterday as I couldn't believe how much I had seized up & I forgot how much it hurt.

My first night duty in 2 weeks done last night. Unfortunately I had to go up & down 4 flights of stairs regularly ... it was fine if I kept moving but not good if I stopped. I'm at the gym in 1 hours so hopefully it will get easier.

Students were fine last night and went to bed just after midnight- I managed about 4.5 hours sleep so it's going to be a long day.

I need to ring the vets to get flee & worming tablets for my dog and then try to sneak them into him which is always the hard part.

No spends yesterday as on night duty but I have no lunch today so I will need to buy something.

Have a fun today

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Nov 16, 7:22 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I know I have to make a move but I'm scared to find out how much my body aches from yesterday . Usually after a night shift I struggle through the day but I had my gym session in the morning and felt brillliant mentally even if physically I need my joints oiled.

I managed an NSD because a meeting got cancelled at short notice so we ended up with their buffet - yeah.

My sister rang from England to confirm her flight details before xmas and today I'm going to book afternoon tea for us ladies when she is home.

I'm on leave tmw but still have a gym visit planned. Ok need to get through today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,987Posts Today

6,148Users online

Martin's Twitter