We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

growing potatoes in an empty compost bag? (Merged Thread)

Options
teapot2
teapot2 Posts: 3,272 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi have searched the threads and don't THINK this question has been asked but apologies if I missed it. I want to try growing potatoes in a bag [not a gro-bag] but not exactly sure how it works, did see something about it on a TV prog ages ago but can't remember the details. I have some empty compost bags so I was thinking put holes in and some drainage. I seem to remember you put some soil in and plant the seed tatties then more soil later and keep adding to it. My questions are how much soil at first and how much do you add each time [and why and when] and how often do you do that? Theres a name for adding more soil but I can't remember it at the mo.

Has anyone grown tatties this way - be interested to hear how it went?

Ta Teapot

Comments

• troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has done this for a few years. She rolls over the top of the compost bag and put about 4 inches of soil in the bag then a couple of seed potatoes and another couple of inches of soil. As the plants grow she tops it up with more soil until it is 1/2 to 2/3 full. The first year we discovered that the plastic of the bag does not keep the light off the growing spuds and so any that were right up against the plastic went green. Now she straps a large broadsheet newspaper round the bags to keep out the light. Most years we have had quite a crop this way, but last year was a bit of a disaster. You do need to water them very well.

Oh she uses quite large compost bags about 75litre size I think.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • wurzelsar
    wurzelsar Posts: 15,316 Forumite
    Options
    I've grown potatoes like this for years. We get beautiful new potatoes earlier than any grown in the garden because I put the bags ( and you can use large pots) in the greenhouse or somewhere sheltered.

I put a mixture of soil and compost. Fill the bag about a third full and plant the potato tubers. chit them first if you can but I haven't always done this. (To chit the spuds - put them to stand in an egg box bottom in a light, cool place but not in direct sunlight. Chitting means that you are growing shoots on the potatoes and plant them when the shoots are about one inch long.)

As they grow in the bags, "earth up " the plants. More or less cover them with more soil/compost. This protects the stems from frost and encourages them to produce more roots and spuds. Carry on earthing them up until you've fillied the bag. Usually there are spuds there to be picked once the plants produce flowers but you can leave the potatoes to grow bigger. Keep well watered and don't allow them to dry out ( but don't over water them - make sure you have enough drainage holes in the bottom of the bags.

To find out if you have spuds ready for picking, gently delve your hand into the compost towards the bottom of the bag.

Rocket are a quick grower. I've had beautiful red salad potatoes from Roseval seed potatoes. There were masses of them.
    I wish you......
    A sunbeam to warm you,
    A moonbeam to charm you,
    A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    Yes, we do and in dustbins! We gradually earth up with compost ( with bags we start with them rolled down and gradually unroll as we earth up) to get a good crop - just keep well watered! The children enjoy searching for the potatoes when the crop is ready and no digging!!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks all for the info and experiences - will deffo give it a go :j
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Must just add, although off-topic! - that we dug up some potaoes today that I planted last season and didn't have time to dig up. THey are kestral second earlies and they were fantastic!! My toddler ate one for his tea!!!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm This is definitely the way forward for me I think regarding growing spuds (small garden :( ) Although I am tempted to go for tyres too but thinking about it then I might just struggle when one day I might need to get rid of the tyres... a bag seems a lot easier to manhandle around by myself (trust me OH won't be very interested in rolling tyres around the back garden lol!!!)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teapot2 wrote:
    thanks all for the info and experiences - will deffo give it a go :j

Just wanted to add, please do, you've heard people say, these nothing like home grown, and there really isn't :D :T
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't seen this mentioned but it looks better if you turn the compost bag inside out first so you have the black side showing rather than this side with the writing on.
  • glenstan
    glenstan Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your question teapot , the replies have spurred me on to giving the spud growing a go . We have a small plot , did not think we would have the space to grow them.
    :hello:What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    Good Food Magazine are starting a new feature in the new March issue about growing your own veg.
    This month is was growing potatoes in a huge, deep flower pot.

same advice as already given above, but i know you can pick up large plastic pots quite cheap these days and they might give better protection than a bag?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure