Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • threemuttleys
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:14 AM
    Missing Thread
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:14 AM
    There was a thread on here recently with loads of tips on how to save money...and what people are doing..have come back (with pen and paper) and its vanished...what happened?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Nov 11, 9:36 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:36 AM
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:36 AM
    We have lots of tips threads on all sorts of subjects - so gizza clue

Was it any of these...?

Great Tips - one liners

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

And all sorts of "Great" ideas... great things threads here on Old Style MoneySaving

And a whole bunch of "Tips" threads... tips threads here on Old Style MoneySaving
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • PaddyPaws
    • By PaddyPaws 15th Nov 11, 9:57 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    PaddyPaws
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:57 AM
    • 15th Nov 11, 9:57 AM
    Was it this one

Hard Times: How to cope with everyday living.

It's not been added to since about 12/11 so had fallen back to about page 5 on this board

HTH
    PP

• threemuttleys
    • 15th Nov 11, 1:22 PM
    • 15th Nov 11, 1:22 PM
    Was it this one

Hard Times: How to cope with everyday living.

It's not been added to since about 12/11 so had fallen back to about page 5 on this board

HTH
    PP
    Originally posted by PaddyPaws

thats the one...cheers dude
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 15th Nov 11, 4:33 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 15th Nov 11, 4:33 PM
    • 15th Nov 11, 4:33 PM
    Let me be the first to post on this shiny new thread!!

I want to prepare something yummy to put in the slow cooker by tomorrow evening so that it can go straight from the fridge next morning before college.
    I have a load of whoopsied chicken mince in the freezer and really want to use some of it.
    I can't find a recipe using the mince on any site, and would prefer something that is nice and spicy. I don't want something that is pale and bland.
    Any suggestions welcome. I have a fair variety of veg in the freezer too.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Nov 11, 5:55 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Nov 11, 5:55 PM
    • 15th Nov 11, 5:55 PM
    Google is your friend

Minced chicken curry in slow cooker
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• rosie383
    • By rosie383 15th Nov 11, 6:06 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 15th Nov 11, 6:06 PM
    • 15th Nov 11, 6:06 PM
    Thanks Squeaky. Mind you, none of them seem to use minced chicken!
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Nov 11, 6:20 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Nov 11, 6:20 PM
    • 15th Nov 11, 6:20 PM
    BUM. Google must have ignored the word "minced".

Mind you, a fair number of those recipes use chopped or diced chicken, so you should be able to substitute your minced into any of those that take your fancy.

• rosie383
    • By rosie383 15th Nov 11, 7:24 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    rosie383
    Yeah, Google just found lots of recipes for chicken, which also had, somewhere, minced garlic!
    I just wasn't sure in the SC if mince would be okay. And, if I want to brown it first, would I still be able to get all the ingredients ready the night before in the crockpot?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Nov 11, 8:09 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hmm... chicken cooks so fast it'll be difficult to brown it without cooking it through and so finish up with chewy/dry/tough chicken after being in the slow cooker? Just guessing because I've never tried minced chicken - and I find it difficult enough to judge minced beef just right.

Personally I'd be inclined to put everything in slow cooker and keep it in the fridge overnight. Essentially it should marinade nicely in your spices. Might be worth adding all your spices etc and only just covering everything with liquids overnight - and perhaps add any further liquid that the recipe you choose calls for in the morning.

• rosie383
    • By rosie383 16th Nov 11, 12:50 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    rosie383
    I'm thinking that maybe chicken mince in the SC isn't such a good idea!
    May just make burgers out of them for tonight, and do a sausage casserole for tomorrow's dinner!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th Nov 11, 3:31 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    It's your mince, and your tum it's going into

That does sound like an easier plan though

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 11, 11:08 AM
    • 9,124 Posts
    • 16,946 Thanks
    zippychick
    as you found the thread ive merged this with quick questions

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Nov 11, 10:02 PM
    • 12,897 Posts
    • 118,664 Thanks
    mardatha
    vegetarians
    Have we got any threads anywhere on OS veggie cooking?
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 21st Nov 11, 10:12 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi mardatha,

Here you go:

Best vegetarian recipes for non-vegetarians?

Want to go half veggie

My food budget has halved! Need lots of help please, including veggie recipes!

The Complete Vegetarian Collection

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Gingham's Vegetarian Meal Planner

Gingham's vegetarian meal planner - SUMMER

Gingham's vegetarian menu planner SPRING

Vegan and vegetarian food on the cheap

A vegetarian meal planner, please

Vegetarian OSers

Cooking for the freezer - vegetarian

I'll add your thread onto one of those later.
    Pink
  • Tightwadways
    Weeble's menu planner?
    It's been a while since I've been here again, but I'm looking for the posts (or a link to) the meal planners which were done a few years ago...I think by Weeble or a similar username? I was talking to a friend about how helpful we'd found the recipes and wanted to share the site.

Could anyone help please, as I can't find it now

Many thanks.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 23rd Nov 11, 5:22 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    quintwins
    this is her website

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/
  • Cat501
    Not exactly OS (sorry!) but I've just found a load of stamps my gran gave me to use for Christmas cards last year that I didn't use, 2nd class, bright blue ones and Wallace and Grommit christmas ones.

Rarely use stamps so only just realised the cost went up in April (4p) so I guess I'll have to buy a load of 4p stamps? Sorry, I know it sounds so simple but googling images of current 2nd class stamps, the blue looks exactly the same :/
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 24th Nov 11, 9:41 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 8,703 Thanks
    suzybloo
    I Might be wrong but I understood that as long as they dont have the value on them you can still use them - with no need to add any further stamps.
    Every days a School day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,184Posts Today

4,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin