Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Bankruptcy & Living With It > BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re:... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re: Co-op Cashminder withdrawal]
Views: 55,578
# 1
ifwisheswerehorses...
Old 31-10-2011, 1:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re: Co-op Cashminder withdrawal]

With immediate effect (from September 17, 2012) the Co-operative bank is no longer accepting new customers who are un-discharged bankrupts, this decision does not affect the bank's existing customers.

------ > The Co-operative Banking Group - News 2012

Since the recent press release the Co-op has assured other posters that if you open a Cashminder account with them, then go BR they will keep your account open.

Cashminder will give you DD and SO, telephone and Internet banking, a visa debit card, you can use any Post Office or Britannia BS to deposit money or cheques, you can use any link machine to withdraw cash. Don’t worry if they say you will have to be referred as they tend to "refer" 80-90% of new Cashminder accounts, you should hear something in the next few days from them. Sometimes they also ask for ID to be taken to one of their branches but this is rare. If they have declined your application then ask them you wish to appeal, this too is rare.

Co-op Cashminder can be opened over the phone 0800 123455

Cashminder - Click here

* Please be aware that the Co-op have a 3 strike rule, if you go overdrawn/bounced DD etc from your account three times they will close your account so be vigilant *

BARCLAYS

If Barclays are a creditor you can open the CashCard Account after you are BR.

With Barclays you will have to go in branch to open, you have DD and SO, visa debit card/cash card, they do NOT allow telephone and Internet banking to BR's, you can go into any branch to deposit money or Cheques and withdraw money from any link machine.

Cash Card Account - Click here

* At present with Barclays, there is a maximum charge of 8 a day if direct debit or standing order payments exceed the total funds in the account. However, from March 2012, this could increase to up to 24 a day *

Most frequently asked questions :-

Will the OR (Official Receiver) freeze my account?

It is the bank themselves that freeze bank accounts not the OR so when you speak to the OR's clerk on the phone (either at the court or later) they'll ask you a few questions and ask them you wish to use your Barclays Cash Card Account or
Co-op Cashminder for your pay and DD's, they will then send to the bank form Bank2 option1 which specifically asks the bank to leave the account open (although the final decision rests with the bank) and they have no further interest in the account.

Can I stay with my Bank?

There are only '2' BR friendly banks, sometimes on rare occasions as long as your Bank isn't a creditor in your BR, they 'may' downgrade your account to a Basic one but don't rely on this being the case.

Still can't open a basic bank account

Make sure you are on the Electoral Roll, whilst a Basic Bank Account doesn’t credit check you it does identity check you.

If your on the electoral role and still being refused check your credit files they may have CIFAS markers

--------> CIFAS - Welcome to CIFAS

More Info on Bank Accounts.
"If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
BSC Member 310

Last edited by ifwisheswerehorses...; 13-05-2014 at 7:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ifwisheswerehorses... For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
fermi
Old 31-10-2011, 4:55 PM

Info from the previous sticky.

May not be so up to date.

Quote:
Some of this text was originally posted on the DebtQuestions forum by Tim/TalbotWoods. Many thanks for the time and effort to put it all together.

VERY VERY Important:

Please be aware that any bank account NOT listed in the section "Who can a bankrupt open an account with?" section below will MOST LIKELY be closed/frozen by your bank once they hear about your bankruptcy.

We KEEP seeing local branch staff of the other banks promise that an account will be OK after bankruptcy, only to see the head office/senior management overrule them later on and close the account without warning.

IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO OPEN YOUR NEW BANK ACCOUNT FOR USE AFTER BANKRUPTCY AFTER YOUR BANKRUPTCY HEARING AT COURT, IF AT ALL PRACTICAL.

WHILE IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE USING AN ACCOUNT OPENED PRIOR TO BANKRUPTCY IF BOTH THE BANK AND OFFICIAL RECEIVER COOPERATE, IT IS STILL POSSIBLE THAT THE ACCOUNT MAY BE FROZEN FOR A SHORT WHILE. IN ADDITION, THE LETTER OF THE LAW STATES THAT YOU SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO USE ANY PRE-BANKRUPTCY ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU HAVE PERMISSION FROM THE OFFICIAL RECEIVER.

Remember to remove ALL cash from your accounts BEFORE being declared bankrupt, as after the Bankruptcy hearing, the money will technically belong to the Official Receiver, and he may refuse you access to it!

IF THE ACCOUNT IS A JOINT ACCOUNT AND ONE ACCOUNT HOLDER IS DECLARED BANKRUPT THE BANKS WILL TREAT THE ACCOUNT AS IF BOTH HAVE BEEN DECLARED BANKRUPT AND THIS WILL REFLECT ON YOUR CREDIT REFERENCE FILES

Additionally, if there is a debt on a joint account, the person going bankrupt will not be held liable for the debt, but the other account holder(s) will.

WHERE AT ALL POSSIBLE CLOSE ANY JOINT ACCOUNT BEFORE GOING BANKRUPT, ESPECIALLY WHERE ONLY ONE PERSON IS GOING BANKRUPT.

ONE FINAL POINT, ALL BANKS ACCOUNTS MUST BE DECLARED ON YOUR STATEMENT OF AFFAIRS, EVEN IF THEY ARE IN CREDIT - THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS, AND THIS APPLIES TO ANY OLD DORMANT ACCOUNT - THE ONLY WAY THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIST THEM IS, IF THEY HAVE BEEN FORMALLY CLOSED FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS

Bankruptcy and Bank Accounts.

Once you are declared bankrupt.

Once you have been declared bankrupt, ALL accounts belong to the OR, so if you draw money out then you are committing an offence under the IA86.

The OR will inform the bank (or building society) if he has any interest in the account; until he has informed them the accounts belong to the OR not you:

If the OR has an interest in an account.

If he has and you attempt to use the account you will be committing a criminal offence.

It is highly possible that the account will show on line as being fully operational, and it may be that it is, but if you use it then you are in deep trouble.

The majority of the time the account will be ‘frozen’; that is you can pay money in but can’t take any money out.

If this has happened and you have had benefits paid in then you must obtain written authority from the OR to ‘ask’ for this money back from the bank, some will, some will fight you like hell.

The majority of accounts the OR has an interest in are those in debt and those with money in.

If the OR hasn’t any interest in your account.

If the OR notifies the bank or Building society that he has no interest in the account, then the account is released back to the bank, NOT YOU.

Whether you are allowed to keep the account will depend on the terms and conditions, and only the bank will be able to tell you that.

Many banks and building societies stipulate in their T&C’s that they will not provide banking facilities, unfortunately most banks are slow to carry out these processes, so it is again possible that the account shows as being fully operational, which very often means the account will show as being fully active, when in reality it is not!

After you have been discharged.

This is when the majority of us will see changes, these account suddenly vanish from you account details, as they are no longer classed as being in debt and the bank no longer holds them open for inspection by the OR

Who can a bankrupt open an account with?

The following are listed with the FSA as allowing un-discharged bankrupts to have accounts (or rather to open accounts):
You can apply to open any of the above accounts immediately after you have been declared bankrupt, there is no need to wait for permission from the Official Receiver.

All other basic accounts stipulate that you must be discharged from bankruptcy, and then they will look at you on a case by case basis!!

To see the full list of basic accounts, please clink on the link below:

Link:
Basic Bank Account Factsheet.

Benefit Payments into bank accounts.

If you receive benefit payments into your bank account, then is it possible that once you are bankrupt the bank will not allow you access to the payments until they have had written confirmation from the OR that the account is of no interest to the OR, and this can take a couple of weeks.

About a month before going bankrupt, you can either open post office card benefit account or arrange for the payments to be made by giro for a few weeks (DWP will do this and you can tell them why)

You need to do this about a month before your bankruptcy date if you can

Payments out of your account (Direct Debits, Standing Orders, etc).

Make sure you cancel these with your bank before going bankrupt, and it is better if you cancel them in writing (rather than by phone or over the internet), as there have been a few cases where the bankrupt has been held liable for payment taken from an account after the bankruptcy date.

You need to aim to do this 10 - 14 days before your bankruptcy date to allow time for the bank to get their act together and stop them
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Last edited by fermi; 02-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
oopsydaisy
Old 31-10-2011, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Any idea how long before the OR freezes the bank accounts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oopsydaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ifwisheswerehorses...
Old 31-10-2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Any idea how long before the OR freezes the bank accounts?
The OR doesn't freeze them the Bank does, once the OR writes to them saying you are now BR. So if you have one of the 'two' BR friendly banks and have asked the OR for either the coop/barclays bank to be your main account they will say to the bank they have no interest in it.

Often 'other' accounts appear to be active until a user tries to use said account then it is promptly closed.

If...x
BSC Member 310
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ifwisheswerehorses... For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
oopsydaisy
Old 31-10-2011, 7:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifwisheswerehorses... View Post
The OR doesn't freeze them the Bank does, once the OR writes to them saying you are now BR. So if you have one of the 'two' BR friendly banks and have asked the OR for either the coop/barclays bank to be your main account they will say to the bank they have no interest in it.

Often 'other' accounts appear to be active until a user tries to use said account then it is promptly closed.

If...x
Thanks again for your info I have both Barclays and Co-op as creditors so will have to try Barclays once BR gone through... In February!!
The Following User Says Thank You to oopsydaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Tink2107
Old 31-10-2011, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, Just a quick note.

I opened a Coop account anyway just in case, however my account is with Natwest and they havent closed it and havent downgraded it either.

I had to ring them the other day as I used Halifax ATM and there was a problem with there machine they pushed the card out but not far enough for me to get it and took it. So I rang Natwest and asked for a new card and they tried to get me to open a new account so I had to incase I lost my card again. I spoke to them and explained about my BR and they said ah right no you wont be able to open a new account, he went off to speak to his manager and came back and said come back when you get discharged but we will keep this account as it is for now. He was really friendly. I think it helped I dont have any debts with Natwest though.

Thanks

Tink
18 October 2011 BR.... Fresh start!! Countdown to Discharge.... 18 October 2012!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tink2107 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Redvee
Old 31-10-2011, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not sure if you can speak to somebody about opening an account with the Co-op but when I call them I use 01618295860.

HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to Redvee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ifwisheswerehorses...
Old 31-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2107 View Post
So I rang Natwest and asked for a new card and they tried to get me to open a new account so I had to incase I lost my card again. I spoke to them and explained about my BR and they said ah right no you wont be able to open a new account, he went off to speak to his manager and came back and said come back when you get discharged but we will keep this account as it is for now. He was really friendly. I think it helped I dont have any debts with Natwest though.

Thanks

Tink
Thanks Tink, there are always going to be an exception to the rule and have seen some posters accounts untouched......however we hear more stories the other way unfortunately.

With me I had a Nationwide flex account and they weren't a creditor in my BR, they downgraded my account to a cash card + account and still use it today......as I say I was lucky tbh

If...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvee View Post
Not sure if you can speak to somebody about opening an account with the Co-op but when I call them I use 01618295860.

HTH
Thanks Redvee, I use 0800 123455 to check my balance

If...x
BSC Member 310

Last edited by ifwisheswerehorses...; 20-10-2012 at 7:35 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ifwisheswerehorses... For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
tigerfeet2006
Old 31-10-2011, 10:58 PM

And don't forget that the Co-op now offer a text service to give you the most up to date balance on your account. You need to ring Customer Services and set it up but it is a very useful tool to have.
BSCno.87
The only stupid question is an unasked one
I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
[/COLOR][/CENTER]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigerfeet2006 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
kaths101
Old 31-10-2011, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for this.. so is it better to open one of these accounts before I go bankrupt? and transfer all my DD etc? is your money safe in this account? or can they take it
The Following User Says Thank You to kaths101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Ineedaname
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I opened my Co-op account about 6-8 weeks before going BR, that allowed plenty of time to get all income and DD/SOs transferred over and have the account fully operational before going BR.

Then I just noted on my BR forms that it was my living expenses account and the OR was fine with it.

Always adviseable to let the Co-op know why you need the account and then just ring them once you have actually gone BR.

Remember though, if you have money surplus to reasonable living requirements the OR can ask for it and they will see on your bank statements if you have withdrawn a chunk of money before going BR and want to know what you spent it on.
When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN
----------------------------------------------------
"Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
The Following User Says Thank You to Ineedaname For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
dojoman
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaths101 View Post
Thanks for this.. so is it better to open one of these accounts before I go bankrupt? and transfer all my DD etc? is your money safe in this account? or can they take it
I opened mine 10 weeks before going BR, my pension was actually paid in to the account on the day of my BR, and therefore I could not take it out before going BR, but I informed the OR that this account was for my day to day living and they never questioned it. I have had this account for over 2 years and it has been running fine since day 1.
B&SC No. 298
Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
and WISE too late!
The Following User Says Thank You to dojoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dojoman
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Bump....................
B&SC No. 298
and WISE too late!
The Following User Says Thank You to dojoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
fermi
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM

I've tagged the info from the previous board sticky onto this one, and now made this one a sticky instead.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
BaldEagle
Old 02-11-2011, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I didn't realise you could open a Cashminder account over the phone. Handy to know.

Do you have to post them proof of identity or drop into a local branch?
The Following User Says Thank You to BaldEagle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
dojoman
Old 02-11-2011, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
I didn't realise you could open a Cashminder account over the phone. Handy to know.

Do you have to post them proof of identity or drop into a local branch?
Some peeps do and some don`t. When I opened mine it was confirmed there and then on the phone, and I did not need to send anything, however when I wanted to add my wife to the account we had to send of proof of identity, why I don`t know
B&SC No. 298
and WISE too late!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dojoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
andyf1980
Old 04-11-2011, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Strange isn't it. When I opened my Cashminder I took my documents in to the branch. I figured that although it was a trek it was worth doing for the peace of mind of knowing they had received them.

When I then opened a savings account a couple of months later they asked for the documents again as the savings account was on a different system
Consumer Credit Counselling Service - Website: CCCS Telephone: 0800 138 1111 National Debtline - Website: National Debtline Telephone: 0808 808 4000 4000 Citizens Advice Bureau - Website: Citizens Advice or visit your local CAB centre (find nearest)
# 18
FormandFunction
Old 07-11-2011, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello everyone,

Would really appreciate some advice...It's looking like I will have to go bankrupt rather than an IVA in the next month or two and I'm trying to plan as much as possible in advance to minimise effect on money during the period that accounts are frozen etc.

I understand I need to open a new basic account and the 2 are co-op and Barclays but:

I owe money to Smile
and
I owe money to Barclaycard

Does anyone have any experience of this? Will co-op definitely not give me an account as that would be the best option (online banking and local branch)? If I went into branch to apply on the day of the BR would they be able to tell me there and then "no" or could they potentially accept then find it closed shortly after?

As another option could I contact my current bank (Metrobank with no debts/overdraft) on the day and ask whether they intend to close it? Would/could they answer that soon?

Failing that, will Barclays offer me an account even with Barclaycard debt as it seems from some posts that they might do?

Otherwise I guess the only option is one of those pay-monthly "guaranteed" accounts? :-( As if there isn't enough stress/stigma from having to go through this!?!

Thank you,
FandF
# 19
ifwisheswerehorses...
Old 07-11-2011, 6:43 PM

Hi FandF, as I have said on the 'other' thread you can open a Barclay's Basic account after you have gone BR as Coop will not let you open a cashminder account.

Best wishes
If...x
BSC Member 310
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ifwisheswerehorses... For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
WhiteRoses
Old 14-11-2011, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up co-op bank account for BR

Thankyou! I have opened a bank acc with co-op informing them of my imminent bankrupcy. Every thing went well. Deep breath before it begins.......
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteRoses For This Useful Post: Show me >>