🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

London Socialite Sees The Light

Options
Well here goes, my first ever diary.

I'm a bit depressed it's gotten to the stage where I am writing this but no one else knows my situation and it will help to keep me on track once and for all to have somewhere to vent and log my progress.

I had a LBM back in May where I came up with a clever spreadsheet and had all the best intentions in the world, back then I owed £11,694.51. For 3 months that figure decreased gradually down to £10,907.98. And then what happened?

Life happened.

I wish I could say something huge changed in my life to blame for my set back but I only have myself to blame. Trying to keep up with workmates and friends socially has gotten me right back where a started. No, worse. As at 26/09/2011 I owe £12,186.73.

The last few weeks have been difficult and expensive for various reasons but when I sat down yesterday to re-calculate the finances I got a shock I'd done quite so badly after a good start.

I had today and yesterday booked on annual leave so have spent the majority of the time on here, looking through statements properly etc etc.

My clever spreadsheet is now SUPER clever including numerous tabs, charts, progress etc to help keep me motivated and now I have my DFD to log everything as I go along, even if no one reads it, it will be a support to me.

So that's enough self pity and wallowing, there are people on here in much worse situations.
Onto the positives

Last night I finally emptied my ever growing spare change pot and counted out a whopping £71!!! :j

Tomorrow am I will take it down to the bank in its money bags and deposit into my current account, I have already written and posted a cheque to clear £71 off the worst credit card :rotfl:

In organising my finances I found an old savings account which has lain dormant with £6.26 in. Went to that bank today and closed it receiving the balance in cash.

My stomach then rumbled so popped via the supermarket on the way home and my favourite soup was reduced so bought 2 large ones and some rolls, in doing this I have 4 meals for the grand total of £3.21!!! :beer:

To keep track of day to day finances better I know I need to deal in cash rather than debit card as I don't realise the full weight of the expenditure if i pay by card.

I am budgeting £70 per week/£10 per day to include EVERYTHING, my travel is paid in advance for, i get a lot of meals at work so this should be more than enough, the challenge will come when I go out socially. Luckily this will be less soon as exams are approaching again for my prof qualification...

My aim is to have the £10 note still in my purse at the end of the day thus having a NSD. I will empty my purse every night into a pot and at the end of the week however much is left can be paid onto a c card. I hope the satisfaction of seeing this happen will keep me going each week to try and have more to pay off than the previous week.

In 2 months time I can cancel my gym membership which is another £49 per month to go on a card. Both cards are cut up now btw.

In July my largest monthly DD for a loan will be finished and loan paid off which will be a huge help monthly, if i can keep going like this until July then I know I will be much better off and can keep plugging away at the debt each month.

Our company bonus time is Feb each year, and although I know they are not guaranteed I am hoping I should be able to nail a chunk off the debt in Feb.

I aim to be debt free by 01.04.2014. Which will be achieved by following my above rules. If i stick to this, on this date when my share scheme with work matures I will have at least £3600 guaranteed in my bank to pay off the remainder.

Do I win the prize for the longest first post? Possibly, but at least its all down and now i can pop in and log my progress...

Here goes nothing....
Santander 0% £1,529.94
Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
Total 0% £5,901.25
AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.

Comments

• princess_shopoholic
    Options
    Hey there! Good luck, and Ill be checking in and here to talk or help whenever you need, I live in London and know how hard it is to save here so I will be joining you in trying to curb the spending, if you want someone there with you anyway :)
    Money Wasting Expert :o
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    Hi Princess_shopoholic!
    Thanks for posting on my thread, I really appreciate that :) I love London but you're right its so hard to save/be good down here, please rap me on the knuckles if i fall by the wayside!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    I also forgot to add that I spent hours yesterday putting dresses, belts, shoes on ebay which will end on Friday... keep everything crossed they sell!!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    Another positive to add today.. just this second had a call from the mystery shopper group I have done work for and have been offered a meal out on Sunday for up to £40 that's a free meal for me and my flatmate

Today is definitely going well :)
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    I've also just cancelled my lovefilm account saving £7.99 per month avoiding his THREE attempts to offer me a different package... go me!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • turbo.jet
    Options
    Hi there!

Congrats on making the turnaround. Our stories have a few similarities, I'll be following your progress and I'd love you to follow mine too :)

I too live in London and my DFD should be in March 2004.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, and will just need the support of people to stay on the wagon all that time. I know I do.

Best of luck!
    December 2005 TOTAL DEBT at its worst - [STRIKE]£20,596[/STRIKE]
    LBM - March 2008
    Finally Debt Free - October 6th, 2011 :beer:
    Now a committed saver!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge member since October 4th, 2011. Member
    number 1415
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    Hi Turbo.jet

Thanks for your post any support helps, I'll definitely follow yours too. Yes, you're right I have the right intentions just get led astray quite easily which is what I'm aiming to get control of!

Just been and joined the local library to save the money my book addictions costs - to get my through the tube journey!

Good luck!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
  • princess_shopoholic
    Options
    Joining the libary is a fab idea i need to do that i spend way too much on amazon! I managed to get my lovefilm down from the 3 dvds to the one package but havent cancelled it though :S

in the next month i have to try and live on 20 a week which I ahve no idea how im going to do it! eek.
    Money Wasting Expert :o
  • turbo.jet
    Options
    I'm off to LID* tonight to shop for the week. Will hurt spending the money but it should reduce how much I spend the rest of the week!
    December 2005 TOTAL DEBT at its worst - [STRIKE]£20,596[/STRIKE]
    LBM - March 2008
    Finally Debt Free - October 6th, 2011 :beer:
    Now a committed saver!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge member since October 4th, 2011. Member
    number 1415
  • LondonGirl252
    Options
    Joining the libary is a fab idea i need to do that i spend way too much on amazon! I managed to get my lovefilm down from the 3 dvds to the one package but havent cancelled it though :S

in the next month i have to try and live on 20 a week which I ahve no idea how im going to do it! eek.

I walk past it everyday so have no idea why i didnt before! They were so helpful, god me too or even worse... W*terst*ones... easily waste so much in there!

Good luck with next month, that will certainly be a challenge!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport