IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky Retentions offers
Closed Thread
Views: 13,799
# 1
gadgeteer
Old 10-08-2011, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Sky Retentions offers

Hi all

I've had Sky now for over a year. They've mucked me about a bit with my packages. Not giving me the ones I asked for and not cancelling the HD package I asked for a couple of months back.

It just seems they are almost randomly making my deal up as they go along. The only ppl who watch it are the kids and right now I can do with every penny we can get.

I'm happy to completely cancel if necessary and take the aggro from the kids for a few days but can anyone tell me what sort of retention deals I can be expected to be offered?

I only want the basic variety pack & kids. The rest is just cr*p I don't watch.
# 2
Anon
Old 10-08-2011, 6:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Six months half price seems to be norm at the moment (see thread on Quick Grabbit board) - you can also potentially reduce your cost before discount to 19.50 as they are changing pack prices from 1st September, so choosing one pack like kids will result in you still getting all packs.

Anon
# 3
bengalknights
Old 10-08-2011, 7:18 PM

If you cancel your service they will generally call back within a day and offer a deal.
# 4
wayne77
Old 10-08-2011, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What number do you guys call?
# 5
malky39
Old 11-08-2011, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalknights View Post
If you cancel your service they will generally call back within a day and offer a deal.
is this a day after you have told them you want to cancel or a day after your tv subscription actually finishes
# 6
bengalknights
Old 11-08-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne77 View Post
What number do you guys call?
I do it online via the contact us form to cancel then day later there call centre calls up asking why you want to cancel then offers a deal.
# 7
bengalknights
Old 11-08-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky39 View Post
is this a day after you have told them you want to cancel or a day after your tv subscription actually finishes
Usually a day after you tell them to cancel.
# 8
PeterJohnson
Old 12-08-2011, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As Anon said 6 months half price is the norm and generally only available from the cancellations department. C/S getting tougher and are being restricted on offers. There is no way of being sure they will call you the next day but is common and certainly common within a few weeks. You have to give notice anyway so at worse you can call back the day before it is due to cancel and 'change your mind'. It would definately be unusual for you not to get something from them. Just call the usual number find the free phone one on say no to 0870 . com
According to ABBA apparently it's a rich mans' world . . .
# 9
AlexisUK
Old 15-08-2011, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

just to say we tried this, and never received any offers. so we are now sky-free!
# 10
roseview
Old 16-08-2011, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just called about downgrading by removing movies and was given 6 months with 20% off which equates to making my movies half price.
# 11
bubblegun
Old 16-08-2011, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sky are looking at getting rid of discounts again. Lots of agents don't have offers to give or are restricted to lower discount levels so if you want that 1/2 price offer you may need to try several times.
# 12
ididntgetwhereiamtoday
Old 16-08-2011, 9:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was genuinley going to leave for the virgin media sky switcher offer and they have given me 6 months half price TV.

Sky line rental and unlimited calls 24/7
Sky unlimited broadband
Sky TV 5 packs (which will be the whole lot from Sept 1st)
Sky Sports pack
I've cancelled the HD pack so all this comes in at under 48 a month. I am absolutely chuffed to bits.
# 13
parawatch
Old 17-08-2011, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well I have just this minute cancelled SKY as I was paying 21.50 per month and not really watching it enough to warrant this amount. Most of the channels I watch are on freeview/freesat.

As I have never asked for any "deals" / "sky box upgrades" I was told that as a customer with them for 12 YEARS (yes, they told me that) and still using the old original sky digibox they could offer me:

Either a super duper SKY+HD Box (not interested, just bought myself a 500GB HUMAX freesat box which is lovely a few weeks back)

or (wait for it....drum roll please) 25% off for 12 months (so 16.13 pm).

Well how about that for 12 YEARS of loyalty.....so I told them politely NO THANKS!! and will be SKY free in 31 days time
# 14
parawatch
Old 17-08-2011, 5:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Forgot to mention the SKY phone number I called was 0800 046 6434.
# 15
Transformer
Old 17-08-2011, 5:55 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawatch View Post
Well I have just this minute cancelled SKY as I was paying 21.50 per month and not really watching it enough to warrant this amount. Most of the channels I watch are on freeview/freesat.

As I have never asked for any "deals" / "sky box upgrades" I was told that as a customer with them for 12 YEARS (yes, they told me that) and still using the old original sky digibox they could offer me:

Either a super duper SKY+HD Box (not interested, just bought myself a 500GB HUMAX freesat box which is lovely a few weeks back)

or (wait for it....drum roll please) 25% off for 12 months (so 16.13 pm).

Well how about that for 12 YEARS of loyalty.....so I told them politely NO THANKS!! and will be SKY free in 31 days time
Hi, that box you have dumax, does it simply plug into the sky dish with connector as same as a sky hd box would, as in would the sky wire fit into this box or do you need new wires, sorry to hijack but fed up of my sky hd box that freezes so often?
# 16
richytay1
Old 18-08-2011, 1:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I cancelled in may at the end of the footy season. I've got an offer now of 12 months sky for half price just in time for the new season.
# 17
iceburn
Old 21-08-2011, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

@ididntgetwhereiamtoday. My dad told me he was swapping in couple weeks on the same deal and I was like what the .. So called sky up and ask what deal they can do for him (oh do u have the website since would like to look at it again at my house. Also by any chance have anyone also got the offer link for people who used to have cable in their house.. Since would like to look at it and see if worth while for me and my wife get it. (at full price or even package my dad is getting it not all we would be interest mainly is Internet between 10-25 a month)

This is the deal we got (and my dad still going to virgin god knows why think it was a cracking deal!!)

Two new sky+hd with hd subscription,
since he got three package at the moment, Free upgrade to 6 pack (entertainment plus next month),
telephone line, unlimited anytime call to uk and 20 international countries,
Unlimited broadband
Free install
Price fix until august 2012

Or for 55 a month!!!

From what I gather virgin offer include espn TiVo and mobile but no calls aboard but cost 42.50 first 6 months and than next 12 months 65. Think sky is a better deal but ::shugs::

Last edited by iceburn; 21-08-2011 at 5:15 PM.
# 18
rocketman80
Old 21-08-2011, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well, I'm trying this tomorrow, so I'll see what they offer. I'm not scared of giving them 30 says notice to call their bluff. (I think lol)

Rocket.
# 19
macman
Old 22-08-2011, 8:45 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
Hi, that box you have dumax, does it simply plug into the sky dish with connector as same as a sky hd box would, as in would the sky wire fit into this box or do you need new wires, sorry to hijack but fed up of my sky hd box that freezes so often?
Any Freesat PVR box is a straight swap for an existing Sky box, just swap the 2 F connectors over, assuming that you already have the twin feed for Sky+.
NB: it's Humax, not Dumax.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 20
rocketman80
Old 22-08-2011, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Right, to update, rang up said I was going to leave etc, nice lady gave me:

6 months half price everything and ESPN free for 3 months
reduced my broadband cost by a 5

and has given me a free Sky HD+ box with free fitting.

Smashing!

Rocket.
Closed Thread