Mostyn Champneys Retail Park Llandudno - SHAME ON YOU

Options
FatAndy
FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
Just a warning for anyone who might visit the Mostyn Champneys Retail Park in Llandudno, they've just given permission to the well-known bunch of cowboys from Parking Eye to scam shoppers who use the car park there.

If you get an invoice from Parking Eye (they can't "fine" you) the advice is don't pay and ignore any correspondance - there's a lot more advice and info here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

What I find annoying is the statement from Centre Manager about this - "Colin Gilligan, Centre Manager of Mostyn Champneys Retail Park, explains the background behind the new scheme: “Although we have recognised for some time that we are probably the most attractive parking location in the town – conveniently located and entirely free – we have also become aware of the growing number of non-shoppers who leave their vehicles for long periods, and at busy times deprive our genuine shoppers of a legitimate parking space."

I've been visiting Mostyn Champneys ever since it opened and never once in hundreds of visits have I not been able to find a space. Saturday afternoons, Christmas, Saturday afternoons at Christmas, you name it I've always had no trouble finding a space. Has anyone ever been there are left because they couldn't park? Speak now or forever hold your peace! This is little more than a money raising exercise for the owners of the retail park, although ultimately it will cost the tenants as shoppers are scared off and start to boycott the place.

SHAME ON YOU MOSTYN CHAMPNEYS!

n.b. Parc Llandudno just over the road also allow Parking Eye to rip off their customers as well so -

SHAME ON YOU PARC LLANDUDNO AS WELL!

http://www.mostynchampneys.co.uk/news/manager-explains-new-car-parking-scheme-for-llandudno-retail-park.html
The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
Baby we were born to walk

Comments

• win123
    win123 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I thank fat andy for posting his concerns as I am also one angry person who has been "had" by the Parking Eye at Mostyn Champneys On 19th July at 15.59 my mother entered the Mostyn Champneys retail Park to go shopping in home Bargains she left the park a short time later as she picked me up at 5pm at my workplace. Later on that evening i collected my son from baskeball aT Ysgol John Bright at 10.00pm and popped home to get some items to take to his nanas in rhos on sea on route he decided he watned a McDonalds so I entered the Mostyn champneys retail park around 10:15pm and left at 10.22pm. This morning I awoke to a letter from Parking eye with a fine of 80.00 + 30 admin charges saying my car had been seen entering the retail park at 15.59 and exiting at 22.22pm I don't think your cameras are working corretly as if you look at the cameras you will surely see my car leaving the car park and re entering at 10.15 pm seems funny how saw my car entering the retail park and exiting the park but where on your camera is my mother leaving between 4pm and 5pm and me entering around 10.15 and leaving!!! very convenient. Well I will certainly be disputing this matter and will be going to the north Wales Weekly news to make my story heard. You cannot con people in this way! it is so not fair. It will certainly put people off shopping at the retail park if this happens I certainly will think twice before going in there again!!! Any ideas how to get hold of someone at parking eye to speak to as it is only an automated service. I want to speak with someone not appeal in writing.
  • wriggly
    wriggly Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    win123 wrote: »
    Any ideas how to get hold of someone at parking eye to speak to as it is only an automated service. I want to speak with someone not appeal in writing.

Ignore their letters, including from debt collectors / solicitors. Only respond if you receive notice from the county court. See the sticky posts in the thread linked above, and post there if you find yourself weakening in the face of their demands.

If you really must speak to someone, try phoning the managers of the stores you visited. They may not do anything, but they may begin to realise that Parking Eye is not doing them any favours.
  • FatAndy
    edited 10 August 2011 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Any ideas how to get hold of someone at parking eye to speak to as it is only an automated service. I want to speak with someone not appeal in writing.

As wriggly said the advice is to completely ignore them, don't make any contact. There are loads of threads about Parking Eye here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 - so it's worth browsing through some of those. Incidentally Parking Eye haven't sent you a "fine" as only the Police and Local Authorities can issue fines. Parking Eye have sent you a brightly coloured invoice which will no doubt have been deliberately designed in such a way as to mislead you into believing you've received a genuine parking ticket.

Incedentally it only took a few weeks from the introduction of Parking Eye at Mostyn Champneys for the first piece of negative publicity to hit the local press - http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/07/28/deganwy-man-fights-80-parking-fine-55243-29129746/.

Also since Parking Eye came along Iceland have announced that they will be closing their store there and looking to move elsewhere. Maybe just coincidence but who knows........
  • FatAndy
    Options
    I thank fat andy for posting his concerns as I am also one angry person who has been "had" by the Parking Eye at Mostyn Champneys On 19th July at 15.59 my mother entered the Mostyn Champneys retail Park to go shopping in home Bargains she left the park a short time later as she picked me up at 5pm at my workplace. Later on that evening i collected my son from baskeball aT Ysgol John Bright at 10.00pm and popped home to get some items to take to his nanas in rhos on sea on route he decided he watned a McDonalds so I entered the Mostyn champneys retail park around 10:15pm and left at 10.22pm. This morning I awoke to a letter from Parking eye with a fine of 80.00 + 30 admin charges saying my car had been seen entering the retail park at 15.59 and exiting at 22.22pm I don't think your cameras are working corretly as if you look at the cameras you will surely see my car leaving the car park and re entering at 10.15 pm seems funny how saw my car entering the retail park and exiting the park but where on your camera is my mother leaving between 4pm and 5pm and me entering around 10.15 and leaving!!! very convenient. Well I will certainly be disputing this matter and will be going to the north Wales Weekly news to make my story heard. You cannot con people in this way! it is so not fair. It will certainly put people off shopping at the retail park if this happens I certainly will think twice before going in there again!!! Any ideas how to get hold of someone at parking eye to speak to as it is only an automated service. I want to speak with someone not appeal in writing.

Well done, you made the top of page five of the Weekly News so that's more negative publicity for Mostyn Champneys :T.

Hopefully before much longer they'll take the hint and kick out the cowboys.
  • RVK
    RVK Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 August 2011 at 2:33PM
    Options
    I've just returned from a holiday to find I was caught by Parking eye in Parc Llandudno even though I bought a ticket. But as they have only ticketed me through the post and did not put one on my windscreen I didn't know at the time so I didn't keep my ticket which is my only evidence that I paid! What a scam. I am also now past their 'deadline' as I was away for 2 weeks. So annoyed... I don't know why they didn't see my ticket. Does anyone know if they have the sticky type or dashboard card type? I can't remember and it's a long way to drive back just to find out. I have a vague memory of a ticket curling up on the window as it wasn't very sticky but not sure if it was that car park. Anyway I'm not paying....! Not sure whether to challenge it though yet. Also it's annoying that websites for N Wales are advertising free parking for 2 hours at Parc Llandudno. When you get there I'm sure it was only 30 min free... if that, but I paid for 2 hrs, grrr! Might write to the retail manager too.
  • FatAndy
    Options
    RVK wrote: »
    I've just returned from a holiday to find I was caught by Parking eye in Parc Llandudno even though I bought a ticket. But as they have only ticketed me through the post and did not put one on my windscreen I didn't know at the time so I didn't keep my ticket which is my only evidence that I paid! What a scam. I am also now past their 'deadline' as I was away for 2 weeks. So annoyed... I don't know why they didn't see my ticket. Does anyone know if they have the sticky type or dashboard card type? I can't remember and it's a long way to drive back just to find out. I have a vague memory of a ticket curling up on the window as it wasn't very sticky but not sure if it was that car park. Anyway I'm not paying....! Not sure whether to challenge it though yet. Also it's annoying that websites for N Wales are advertising free parking for 2 hours at Parc Llandudno. When you get there I'm sure it was only 30 min free... if that, but I paid for 2 hrs, grrr! Might write to the retail manager too.

The last time I went to Parc Llandudno it was free for up to 2 hours but the system there has only recently changed following their inexplicable decision to allow a renowned bunch of cowboys to start ripping off their customers. If I remember right with the new system you don't need a ticket if you're staying less than two hours, if you're staying longer you have to buy a ticket and enter your registration into the ticket machine. This presumably is supposed to cross reference with the numberplate recognition machines at the car park entrance and exits (which has already been established don't always work properly).

This is all basically irrelevant though as the advice from the posters on the parking tickets forum - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 - is to ignore any correspondence from Parking Eye and they'll eventually go away. If you make any attempt to contact them they'll realise that you aren't aware that their invoices have no legal standing so they'll start chasing you all the harder.

You could try writing to the head offices of the shops you visited at Parc Llandudno so express your disappointment at receiving a "fine" for giving them your custom. You could also try writing to the editor of the local newspaper, the North Wales Weekly News. I'm sure they'd be happy to print a letter along the lines of "I'm a tourist who got ripped off in Llandudno and will never visit the town again......".

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    I have contacted the North Wales regarding their inaccurate article in the last edition regarding Parking Eye viz referring to the INVOICES AS FINES, I have mentioned the multi visit scam, and what happened to Observices in the West Midlands when they tried the same stunt, let's see if the reporter gets back to me.

For those aggrieved by Parking Eye on the Mostyn Champneys in Llandudno, address complaints to the site manager:

Colin Gilligan
    01244 534 354 (option 2) or email [EMAIL="info@broughton-park.com"]info@broughton-park.com [/EMAIL]

The managing agents are Savills

Savills (Manchester)
    Fountain Court
    68 Fountain St
    Manchester
    M2 2FE

0161 236 8644

Only by heaping odium on those who will collude with these parasites will we show them their error in bringing the ppcs in.

If we can find this information for other retail parks, we can start attacking the organ grinder, rather than their greedy not so tame monkeys.

bot_left.gif
    bot_right.gif
  • baylisj
    Options
    Hi all,

We have just received a Parking Eye fine for Parc Llandudno stating no ticket was purchased or we went over the allocated time. We did purchase a ticket and did not go over the allocated time.

After reading all the advice on here we will be ignoring every letter we receive. Glad I came on here to read all these posts as I was going to send them a letter tomorrow. The advice is not to start correspondence but to ignore completely so that's what I am going to do.

Robbing Weasels - utter scumbags.

Cheers
  • FatAndy
    Options
    baylisj wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have just received a Parking Eye fine for Parc Llandudno stating no ticket was purchased or we went over the allocated time. We did purchase a ticket and did not go over the allocated time.

After reading all the advice on here we will be ignoring every letter we receive. Glad I came on here to read all these posts as I was going to send them a letter tomorrow. The advice is not to start correspondence but to ignore completely so that's what I am going to do.

Robbing Weasels - utter scumbags.

Cheers

If you want to write to someone then write to the shop(s) you visited and explain that you aren't impressed about being the victim of a con and won't be visiting their shop ever again.

It's not the fault of the retailers themselves, it's the owners of the retail park that are to blame, but maybe if the retailers get the message they'll start to put some pressure on their landlord to get Parking Eye booted out once and for all.
  • Sispone
    Options
    The Parc Llandudno ticket machine wasn't working when I shopped there last week and so I stupidly assumed that it would be okay to complete my shopping anyway. 39 minutes extra parking and I am sent a fine of £50 increasing to £80 if I don't pay up quickly - I nearly paid up but luckily did a quick search to find out this is a big con, so many thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure