PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

White vinegar threads

Options
Hi everyone :)

Well, it's plain to see that the Thrifty Ways book is reaching an ever wider audience :)

So let me start with the answers to a few common questions.
  • White vinegar is listed in the shops as "Distilled Malt Vinegar"
  • It isn't really white - it is clear like water
  • While you can bulk buy sometimes in Indian or Chinese supermarkets, it's currently available in most chain stores and at the time of writing can bought in Asda at approx 50p for 500 mils - i.e. £1 per ltr
  • Yes, in some cases you can use the brown malt vinegar, though people warn about possible staining of porcelain and clothes. Pick your jobs :) At the time of writing can bought in Asda at approx 17p for 500 mils which makes it the cheapest option going at 34p per ltr
  • Pickling vinegar has spices in it so is not recommended. Especially not as a replacement for fabric conditioner. Hot spices in your undies doesn't bear thinking about.
We have quite a number of threads about white vinegar and many of them are listed here:-

Vinegar & White Vinegar:
- Brown (malt) vinegar will not stain your clothes!
- Cleaning product replacement?
- Concealing the smell of vinegar?
- Confused about white vinegar
- How do you mix it / use it?
- Masking the smell
- Sources
- The great Bleach v Vinegar debate
- ..The search for cheap vinegar
- Uses
- What is it?
- White vinegar?

If those threads don't answer your particular question by all means join one of them if it is similar, and ask :)

If you really really have a new question then please ask it in this thread.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

Comments

• nicola1982_2
    Options
    Popped into a huge tesco today and couldn't find for the life of me any white vinegar! Where abouts is it kept in Tesco stores? Or do they not sell it? I've not tried Sainsburys yet - do they sell the stuff?
    £4000 challenge

Currently leftover - £3872.15
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In our Tesco its in the aisle where the pickles and sauces are usually on a bottom shelf.......:T
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    Options
    You can also buy white vinegar for cleaning from Wilkinson's. It's next to the other household cleaning stuffage.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Same as in my local Tesco, although there is a possibility Tanith & I might share the same branch!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    just go and ask as they keep having a tendancy to put things in the most weird and wonderful places in ours
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • hmc
    hmc Posts: 2,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hello

thanks to reading this site i tracked down some white vinegar

today i put some in fabric slot in washer and ran a 90o wash
    and put some in a cup and stood it in bottom shelf of dishwasher(empty load)
    and ran a 60o wash

looks fab clean

did i do it right? and how often should i do it as we are in very hard watrer area

thankyou
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why isn't it called white vinegar?
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • fishhawks
    Options
    I am looking for white vinegar - is it the same as malted vinegar which is clear in colour, or should the label on the bottle read "white vinegar"?

Thanks
    Waddle you do eh?
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    The bottle I've got says ' distilled malt vinegar' I got it from Asda and it's clear.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • Penny_Watcher
    Options
    It's like malt vinegar only it can be made from different indredients. It's just as edible as malt vinegar, but you can use it for cleaning too. Wikipedia's explanation is here.

It should just look like a bottle of clear liquid. For example ......................

white_vinegar.jpg

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure