The Giving up/ Cutting down Alcohol support thread- number 10

Options
Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts, new challenges, NEW POSTERS PLEASE (not that there's anything wrong with the old ones, so please stick around ;)).

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

"There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!

PS have amended this slightly as I have decided that I will try for the moderation way! That means for me not drinking over the recc limits (bottle & a half of wine for me!) but I know at times this will be a struggle plus I'm aware that others want to do the same."

And here's what she started!!! :

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2 (can't remember, but a long time ago), a post which means a lot to us on here....from Springwatch Girl. Don't know where SWG is as she hasn't posted since back then, but I am hoping that the sun is still shining in her life :)

"Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Let us, once again, begin...... :)
What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.

Comments

• shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2011 at 8:38AM
    Options
    Morning :hello:

A bright, new, shiny thread and I can report a Friday AFD making 19 AFDs.

2mi2fcy.jpg

Have a Happy Saturday

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    Miss P - Well done on the weight loss:j:j:j:j I have eaten too many biscuits this week...:o
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    March :-

flowerysmile.gif= 7 days AF

smiley%20bunny.gif= 14 days AF

smiley-happy096.gif = 21 days AF

Smiley-ange.png = 28 days AF

smiley-score010.gif = 31 days AF

:j = target achieved

Apple 4/TF
    Bearacus
    7/14
    flowerysmile.gif
    Beckseven 13/17 flowerysmile.gif
    Chloris 18/23 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif

Cleggie /31

Daisy /15

Darwin's Mum 5/TF
    Far2812 8/31 flowerysmile.gif
    Fed Up 21/TF flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gifsmiley-happy096.gif
    Forever Hopeful 8/14 flowerysmile.gif

Gien 6/21
    Happyshopper 13/20 flowerysmile.gif

JanJan 4/14
    Laurent 7/20 flowerysmile.gif
    Lottie 11/10 flowerysmile.gif :j
    Mackeroo 20/25 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif

Maggie 3/6
    Maman 11/10 flowerysmile.gif :j
    Miss P 16/TF flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif
    Phoenix D 15/15 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif :j
    Poohbear 11/24 flowerysmile.gif
    Rachelww 12/14 flowerysmile.gif

Roougers 1/13

Scotdebs 4/12
    Shaggy 19/17 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif :j
    SOS 18/25 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gif

Toomany 6/10
    Trasij 24/31 flowerysmile.gifsmiley%20bunny.gifsmiley-happy096.gif

Wanna Bee Free 1/16

PLEASE PUT YOUR TARGET AFDs IN A BOLD RED FONT and good luck!
  • mackeroo
    mackeroo Posts: 806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone
    Just a flying post as im getting ready to head to Zumba
    21 AF days please Shaggy
    really enjoyed the film True Grit last nite and enjoyed even more waking up this morning with no fuzzy head. Have a good weekend
    It’s not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts
  • maggiesoop
    maggiesoop Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone too. I haven't had an AF free day since Wednesday but I've not been daft, even the typical Friday night produced a sensible lassie, two glasses of wine with OH and drinking tea watching an old DVD by 9.30pm. This no-getting-trolleyed-every-night situation means that I have re-awoken my desire to read and it's wonderful. A friend dropped in a book she got for World Book Night and I'm LOVING it (Fingersmith, Sarah Walters). It's 8.40am on a Saturday morning, OH away to play golf, I have no hangover, no halitosis :eek: and I'm reading a flippin book in bed, hallelujah! I can't thank you guys enough, this site has been the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. Off to see The Fighter tonight, have a great weekend all.
  • mollypolly
    mollypolly Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    WOW......Part 10 and three years....where did that time go.

My life would be so different now if I hadnt found you all.
    I now lead quite a peaceful life....(although busy)....and have a beautiful little grandson who I am allowed to babysit anytime as his mummy knows Nanny will always be sober.:D

I am nearly three years sober now and I still read/lurk nearly every day.

Its great to see new faces and old ones popping in every now and then.
    Good luck to all of you on your journeys whichever path you are taking....giving up/cutting down.

Remember.......

Take care of YOU
    Love Mollypollyxxxx
    :happylove :happylove
    I'm back!!!!
    DMP starts 1st July 2015:T
    Dfd March 2021 (hoping to get there sooner )
    DMP mutual support group number 444
    Proud to be dealing with my debts at last :j
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    19 AFD here!

Great to hear positive stories!
  • mackeroo
    Options
    maggiesoop wrote: »
    Morning everyone too. I haven't had an AF free day since Wednesday but I've not been daft, even the typical Friday night produced a sensible lassie, two glasses of wine with OH and drinking tea watching an old DVD by 9.30pm. This no-getting-trolleyed-every-night situation means that I have re-awoken my desire to read and it's wonderful. A friend dropped in a book she got for World Book Night and I'm LOVING it (Fingersmith, Sarah Walters). It's 8.40am on a Saturday morning, OH away to play golf, I have no hangover, no halitosis :eek: and I'm reading a flippin book in bed, hallelujah! I can't thank you guys enough, this site has been the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. Off to see The Fighter tonight, have a great weekend all.

Hey maggiesoup i can relate to this....one of the things i loved about majorly cutting down on the booze meant that i could read books in the eve as opposed to drunkenly trying to read a mag. Since the start of Jan ive read 3 books. Enjoy
  • mackeroo
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNXCkp2QPAGNvMFt0wf6oLAIL-npT_5GmU9E-NotUqOd6i353ZUw a wee shout out to DaisyC..aint seen you around lately hope you doing ok hon x
  • mrsrainman
    mrsrainman Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    Evening All

Just wanted to say again a BIG THANK YOU for making me feel welcome :T

And the fact that you have all agreed with me (cos sometimes I think that maybe i'm just being a nag) has helped me loads already.

I think i've resigned myself to the fact that he won't just stop. And even when Little Bean arrives he probably won't be much better. I'm just going to have to learn to remove myself from the situation when he "starts"
    The sad thing is I can see him missing the birth of his first child, which would be really sad.

But hopefully things will improve, and I know I can come on here for support :j

Well done to all those who are seeing positive results from all their AFDs, especially to the weight loss!!!!!! I'm beginning to resemble a beached whale :rotfl:

Mrs R
    xx
    Halifax CC - £6725.99 ;Tesco CC - [STRIKE]£582.49 [/STRIKE] Transferred to MBNA
    MBNA CC - £1944.41
    Xmas Saving Card £33.50
    Holiday Spending Money £180
    Debt is like any other trap, easy enough to get into, but hard enough to get out of
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure