Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mmpombears
    Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:28 AM
    Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB? 10th Jan 11 at 11:28 AM
    I just got the following text message from tmobile and after googling with no success decided to try here.

"We wanted to let you know that from 2nd Feb the fair use policy amount for internet on your phone will be 500MB a month. For details see t-mobile.co.uk/datachanges. If you do reach your limit don't worry, you'll still be able to browse and use email"

According to the page on their website it will apply to their mobile internet service from 1st Feb. Is this grounds to cancel my contract?

This really sucks as I often use my phone to stream videos or download games, which probably uses up over 1GB of bandwidth per month.
Page 1
  • robpw2
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:32 AM
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:32 AM
    its always had a fair usage policy .. read the t and c's
    i do not think you have grounds to end contract

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 10th Jan 11, 11:36 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:36 AM
    No expert but surely if, say, the previous FUP was 1g/mth and the OP has traditionally used that then this T&C change is detrimental enough for him/her to cancel contract early?
    • talkalot
    • By talkalot 10th Jan 11, 11:36 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    talkalot
    Apart from the IPhone plans. T-Mobile used to have a FUP of either 1GB for non smart phones or 3GB for the likes of Android phones.
    What phone and plan are you on ?
  • mmpombears
    I know it's always had a fair use policy... but it's always been 3GB on WnW plus (what I have) and 1GB on WnW
  • mmpombears
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:37 AM
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:37 AM
    Apart from the IPhone plans. T-Mobile used to have a FUP of either 1GB for non smart phones or 3GB for the likes of Android phones.
    What phone and plan are you on ?
    Originally posted by talkalot
    I have a HTC desire with WnW plus
  • tylerdurdenk
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:40 AM
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:40 AM
    I'm interested to know this too.

Looks like it should be possible. What's the first step?
  • shianatika
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:42 AM
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:42 AM
    I am with T-mobile, HTC desire and 3GB fair usage policy. I am definitely going to be contacting them about cancelling as the 3GB allowance was the only reason I joined them in the first place.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 10th Jan 11, 11:47 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:47 AM
    • 10th Jan 11, 11:47 AM
    I am with T-mobile, HTC desire and 3GB fair usage policy. I am definitely going to be contacting them about cancelling as the 3GB allowance was the only reason I joined them in the first place.
    Originally posted by shianatika

Precisely. In my earlier example I was assuming a FUP of 1gb but if it's 3gb (and you regularly use over 500mb) then I can't see how they could refuse an early termination of the contract without penalty..
  • tylerdurdenk
    Just came off the phone to T-Mobile, and they are being stubborn about it. I am now waiting for a call back from a manager.

Any advice on what I should say? Any buzz words, so to speak?
  • shianatika
    Just came off the phone to T-Mobile, and they are being stubborn about it. I am now waiting for a call back from a manager.

Any advice on what I should say? Any buzz words, so to speak?
    Originally posted by tylerdurdenk
    I am going to call them after work, please let us know how you get on
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 10th Jan 11, 12:10 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    "For Internet on your phone, the current Fair Use Policy varies according to tariff. Your terms and conditions will state what it is."

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=support&cat=FAIR_USE_POLICY&tab=0&id=FA 968

Although this is old stuff and was due to a different reason for cancelling this might be helpful.

http://www.bitterwallet.com/want-to-cancel-your-t-mobile-contract-heres-how-to-do-it/18286
    Last edited by Ypaymore; 10-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.
  • mmpombears
    Just finished speaking to tmobile CS, was on hold for a bit. The lady I spoke to was very friendly and said while she was aware of the changes, she needs to speak to her supervisor about canceling my contract on the grounds of changes to their T&Cs. I'm now waiting for her callback, hopefully in around an hour.

If anyone has any advice on what else I should say, it would be much appreciated!
    • talkalot
    • By talkalot 10th Jan 11, 12:30 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    talkalot
    Do we know yet if the changes are for all plans or just the basic W&W ?
    I have tried calling CS and have been told different things each time.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 10th Jan 11, 12:32 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    Just finished speaking to tmobile CS, was on hold for a bit. The lady I spoke to was very friendly and said while she was aware of the changes, she needs to speak to her supervisor about canceling my contract on the grounds of changes to their T&Cs. I'm now waiting for her callback, hopefully in around an hour.

If anyone has any advice on what else I should say, it would be much appreciated!
    Originally posted by mmpombears
    Will the changes increase the cost of your bills ?
  • lucylucky
    I seem to recall a thread about this when Vodafone did a similar thing.

I think people were able to cancel because it was a material change in the contract.
  • mmpombears
    Do we know yet if the changes are for all plans or just the basic W&W ?
    I have tried calling CS and have been told different things each time.
    Originally posted by talkalot
    The info on theis vague and only says "So Whats Changing? - From 1st February 2011 we will be aligning our fair use policies so our mobile internet service will have fair use of 500MB."

However, as the plan I'm on has 3GB fair use policy and I received the notification, I can only assume it probably will apply to most price plans. Also, surely they would specify the plans that are unaffected?
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 10th Jan 11, 12:39 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    I think ypaymore has hit the nail on the head. If this change directly increases the cost of your monthly bill then I am sure you have a legal right (under consumer law, which trumps tmobiles own T&Cs every day of the week) to cancel early without financial penalty. Good luck.
    • talkalot
    • By talkalot 10th Jan 11, 12:39 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    talkalot
    I have a few numbers with T-Mobile at the moment. Have not had a single text yet.
  • lucylucky
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2446159&highlight=vodafone

One of the vodafone threads about similar subject
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,418Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter