Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discu... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 27,539
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Archna
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discussion

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Asda launches revamped price guarantee"

The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
thepearce
Old 06-01-2011, 1:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The link in the article is wrong (not working at all). It should be : http://www.asda.com/priceguarantee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thepearce For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
gastronomix
Old 06-01-2011, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Whilst low prices are obviously commendable, I cant help thinking that too much emphasis is put upon them. All of the supermarkets can compete on price but it is the public and suppliers who will inevitably lose out in the long run. Suppliers need to be given a reasonable rate or they will go out of business and we can be sure that low prices are not a benevolent gesture, the profits are being clawed back in other ways. Dont believe the hype, look beyond the facade for quality and social responsibility.
# 4
michaels
Old 06-01-2011, 3:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Does it include bogof and price promotions? Ie say tescos had bogof on nappies could you buy two packets of the saem nappies in ASDA and in effect get them 10% cheaper than the Tesco Bogof price?

A always think this 'a basket bought here is cheaper than in xyz store' is rubbish as most surely chose their basket to some extent to pick what is on special in that store - thus if it is not on special in the competitor store the basket appears cheaper but actually in the other store the same item not on special would probably not have been purchased.

In general although Asda may be a few percent cheaper on most items I think that they may still work out more expensive overall as they have fewer promotional prices/offers - for example they might be 5% cheaper of washing powder at standard prices but if you only buy 6 months supply when it is on Bogof at Sains twice a year then your annual spend on washing powder is less at Sains.
Sent from my ...electronic gadget which I am sad enough to think gives me status even though in fact it just shows that I am easily ripped off and a bit inadequate...
# 5
sarah1972
Old 06-01-2011, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels View Post
Does it include bogof and price promotions? Ie say tescos had bogof on nappies could you buy two packets of the saem nappies in ASDA and in effect get them 10% cheaper than the Tesco Bogof price?

A always think this 'a basket bought here is cheaper than in xyz store' is rubbish as most surely chose their basket to some extent to pick what is on special in that store - thus if it is not on special in the competitor store the basket appears cheaper but actually in the other store the same item not on special would probably not have been purchased.

In general although Asda may be a few percent cheaper on most items I think that they may still work out more expensive overall as they have fewer promotional prices/offers - for example they might be 5% cheaper of washing powder at standard prices but if you only buy 6 months supply when it is on Bogof at Sains twice a year then your annual spend on washing powder is less at Sains.
Hi
Yes they do include bogof and multibuys etc.
lkmc01 called Asda and asked on this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2963502
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
# 6
Danger Fourpence
Old 06-01-2011, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Pity they can't improve their prices on ASDA Direct, some of them are shockingly uncompetitive.
# 7
stphnstevey
Old 06-01-2011, 9:09 PM

Why bother?

If it's cheaper elsewhere, and you only get the difference back, just buy it elsewhere and not bother with the faff of the comparison.

Now if it was double the difference, or even a bit more, it would be worth it
# 8
Lakeuk
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just seen this bogus price war on ITV News, I can been alot of people falling for this deception in Asda's play with words

Reality is there is not 10% cheaper guarantee,
I dependent on the goods being on the mysupermarket website or get picked up by Mon/Web sample shop at Morrisons.

Good example if Morrisions have a special offer this week of Kellogg's Cornflakes 750g for 1.24 (half price), but surprise surprise Asda don't show it on MySupermarket, they only have 500g to price match.

I would feel very cheated if I have bought cornflakes from Asda and not refunded the difference on the Morrisons price, I'd also be miffed at not getting different+10%
# 9
Lube
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does any actually trust any supermarket to be honest and above boards its a marketing ploy plain and simple
# 10
GlasweJen
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Mysupermarket is independant from any of the shopping giants.

I quite like the new guarantee, means I don't need to shop around as I will get it at the same rate from shopping under one roof. Also colleagues get their guarantee on 10% cheaper after their discount so I recon this will save me quite a bit if I remember to keep the receipts.
Food in ma belly and a licence for ma telly an nothin's gonna bring me down.

February Grocery Challenge 80/80
March Grocery Challenge 69.33/90
# 11
crockpot
Old 07-01-2011, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I checked my online shop and have a voucher for 15p being sent to me, well it all adds up!

But half of the stuff was not compared, maybe because I do not buy premium brands? just asda and cheap items.
# 12
callum9999
Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 PM

The big problem I have with this is when I'm instore, I often pick up a couple of things I didn't really need, but were on offer. This means even though my shop may have been cheaper in Tesco, the couple of offers I picked up wipe out the difference so they get out of paying anything back.

Granted I'm paying less than I would for the identical items in Tesco, but if I was shopping in Tesco I would have bought different items.
# 13
glider3560
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasweJen View Post
I quite like the new guarantee, means I don't need to shop around as I will get it at the same rate from shopping under one roof.
It depends how you shop. For example, if you need washing powder, which one of the following do you fit into:
1. Buy Persil 1kg whatever the price, or
2. Buy the cheapest 1kg washing powder?

If you are shopper number 2, then you won't save any money on the Asda price guarantee as you'll probably buy different brands depending on which shop you visit.

Another example I've seen previously is with pizza.
Asda's own: 1.13, Goodfellas: 1
Tesco's own: 1.00, Goodfellas: 2 (just some made up prices as an example)
In Asda, I'd buy Goodfellas, in Tesco I'd buy their own. This means my shopping comparison will be 1 higher as I've bought Goodfellas (if you see what I mean).

Asda products also come in different sizes for many products. Take the Corn Flakes example someone has already posted: Asda 1.97 for 500g, Morrisons 1.24 for 750g. This simply won't be included in the comparison as it is a different size, even though you are getting more for less money at Morrisons.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glider3560 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
barncopxx
Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It's just a gimmick. Cadburys fingers, 89p normal price in Netto, ON OFFER at 1 in Asda. Felix Sensations, 3 Sainsburys, 3.50 Asda. Probably many more examples. Asda used to have an advert where the shopper was tapping their back pocket to indicate how much they had saved, sadly now the only back pocket being tapped is Asda's profit pocket! At the end of the day Asda fully know that not many people are going to be bothered with checking their receipts online just to save the odd 10p or 15p!

Last edited by barncopxx; 08-01-2011 at 10:47 AM.
# 15
brettcta
Old 08-01-2011, 7:53 PM

all you're doing if you buy the fingers from netto is lining asda's pockets anyway, as they own netto now
helpful tips
it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
there - 'in or at that place'
their - 'owned by them'
they're - 'they are'
it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brettcta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
KevinG
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know it's clever marketing but I can't see why anyone has a problem with this - I think it's great! I do nearly all my shopping in ASDA in any case, because I find it is the nicest environment, the best quality products and on the whole the prices are obviously lower than Tesco and Sainsbury's (especially the latter - you want HOW much for that??). The comparisons seem very fair and err on the side of underplaying the difference. I have had vouchers twice, in each case it was the first time the checkout operator had ever seen one. One of them was for over 4 because I had bought 2 of a high value product that was around 2 cheaper in Tesco, but I happened to have 10 worth of ASDA promotional vouchers for it, so I actually paid 6 less!
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
MillicentBystander
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM

My friend just completed her first exercise in doing this, input her receipt number regarding the latest shop...and is now the proud owner of a 6.50 Asda voucher! Be as cynical as you like about this, I haven't exactly seen the competition chomping on the bit to bring their own 'guaranteed lowest' plan out.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillicentBystander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Retro_Bunny
Old 10-01-2011, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepearce View Post
The link in the article is wrong (not working at all). It should be : http://www.asda.com/priceguarantee
FAO MSE People - the link is still not working
# 19
littlemissbossy
Old 10-01-2011, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I always shopped at Tesco but am finding it quite expensive but I do like the clubcard points to use at xmas.

I went Asda last week and have just checked my receipt on their website and my 25.06 shop was 1.57 cheaper than Tesco and I also got a coupon back for 76p because they weren't 10% cheaper than the cheapest supermarket.

So If I'd shopped at Tesco I would have got 50 clubcard points = 50p, but I actually saved 1.57 + 76p = 2.33.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
# 20
MillicentBystander
Old 10-01-2011, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissbossy View Post
I always shopped at Tesco but am finding it quite expensive but I do like the clubcard points to use at xmas.

I went Asda last week and have just checked my receipt on their website and my 25.06 shop was 1.57 cheaper than Tesco and I also got a coupon back for 76p because they weren't 10% cheaper than the cheapest supermarket.

So If I'd shopped at Tesco I would have got 50 clubcard points = 50p, but I actually saved 1.57 + 76p = 2.33.

That basically sums up the genius marketing of the club card scheme, TBH. Millions fall for it...
Closed Thread