You know your broke when you find Primark expensive

slugger09
slugger09 Posts: 411 Forumite
edited 2 November 2010 at 8:31PM in Debt-free wannabe
Certainly not a good state of affairs and its all very depressing really, I was looking at a pair of jeans today in Primark £9 and I thought I really can't actually justify paying that, I only actually have 1 pair of jeans but still I thought that money could actually do something else, have you ever been in that situation?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Diana_Prince
    Diana_Prince Posts: 405
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2010 at 5:54PM
    I think you end up doing that with everything when you're a DFW!! I found myself looking at satsuma's today in Mr T that were 1/2 price but as I'm not a huge fan of them I didn't buy them because I could put that 75p towards something else!! :)
    Just keep swimming
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    I was looking at a pair of jeans today in Primark £9.....

Ooh expensive! I bought a pair today in a charity shop £4, a perfect fit as well. My first ever clothing buy in a charity shop, and I'm sure won't be the last.

Just thought I'd share :o
  • I too look at clothes/shoes in affordable shops and think "the price should be cheaper". It is natural when you are on a budget. I have friends who think nothing of paying £50 for a casual dress/skirt which they will wear once or twice. I become more and more frugal each day - unsure if that is good or bad!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,303
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £9 for jeans in Primark? yes, I would consider that a waste of money as not usually good quality. Better off going to a charity shop or buying from Ebay.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • panambi
    panambi Posts: 249 Forumite
    The same happened to me the other day in Primark!

Went to a couple of charity shops instead and got 4 pairs of jeans for a grand total of £8! (£2 each):T and much better quality :j
    LBM 31/01/2009: £19,422
    Chrimbo crackers: £207.17/£510
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I wouldn't pay £9 for Primark jeans either. If you can't find any in a charity shop or on eBay, it is worth saving up and spending a bit more on a pair from Debenhams - you can very often get them for not much more than that in their sales.
  • mumcoll
    mumcoll Posts: 393 Forumite
    I remember (almost 30 years ago) when I had a prescription and couldn't afford to get it as I didn't have the money. The cost was 20p! And a lipstick, no chance.....
  • Hi there

You're just applying Martin's Mantras - and that's a great thing. You can't have really needed it, as you can do without it.

I know it's depressing, but £9 would have been £15 - £18 of extra salary you'd need to earn. Which, would be a good 2 to 3 extra hours of work. Not such good value now...!

Don't worry, you'll get through it, especially with your tenacity.

All the best
    Credit Card (Mar 2011: £11,171; Mar 2012: £14,494; April 2012: £13,329) :(
    Mortgage (Mar 2011: £199,200; Mar 2012: £190,340; April 2012: £189,635)
    Debt Free date: May 2013 :eek:
    :xmastree: Clear debts by December 2012: £3,000/£12,000
  • Slugger, I know exactly how you feel. Yesterday I stood in a 30min queue in Primark to get a refund on an £11 dress. It was the first thing I'd bought myself in ages, but I felt so guilty about buying it, I decided I didn't even like it anyway. I must've thrown out £100+ of unworn clothes from Primark over the years because it wasn't worth the hassle of taking it back, it was all so cheap per piece. Now I want to kick myself! That £11 is much better off in my bank account than theirs!
    Debt-free & saving for the next big adventure
    :j
  • Yep I know where your coming from Slugger, however logged on just to thank eyeopener for the brilliant answer to the idiot cashbackproblems post! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure