Npower £70m giveaway - claim your share Monday 11/10/2010

Options

Comments

• *gem*
    *gem* Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    That doesn't surprise me with Npower. How convenient hey? Luckily for me, i'm still with them for both gas and electricity but have three account numbers. One for electricity, one for gas and one for duel fuel. Confused? Me too. Are you sure you haven't got and old statement lying around the house somewhere?
  • sirbrainy
    sirbrainy Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    thanks gem, called them and they can find my electric account but not my gas one - had gas and electric from aug 06 to jul 07. They managed to take the direct debits for them both ok every month though! They said I've got to find the account number because they can't but i've not kept paperwork from 4 years ago! So looks like Npower will be enjoying my refund for their christmas party

Jus a thought - perhaps you left the Direct Debit instructions open and can trace the a/c no that way?

If not, I would not give up. Npower have a duty to trace your account and find out if they owe you money.

A stiff letter explaining the situation and advising them that you will be contactiong the Ombudsman if theyt do not succesfully trace your as/c should get them to redouble efforts.

Did you keep old bank statements proving payment to Npower during this period?

I was in exactly the same position as you (ie they saw my old elec a/c in their systems but not the gas a/c) but luckily I knew the old gas a/c no. They tried a bit harder and found the gas a/c as well.
  • sirbrainy
    Options
    *gem* wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me with Npower. How convenient hey? Luckily for me, i'm still with them for both gas and electricity but have three account numbers. One for electricity, one for gas and one for duel fuel. Confused? Me too. Are you sure you haven't got and old statement lying around the house somewhere?

Have you thought about switching provider?

We switched from Npower and have not regetted it lol - we got £120 cashback on Quidco and switched to an online tariff with Scottish Power that saved us a good 25% vs Npower.

Check your current tariff here to see if it is competitive or not (this is a neutral comparison site hosted by The Independent newspaper)
    http://utilities.beatthatquote.com/independent/calc_independent.html?db=dual

Then check on Quidco to see the cashback on offer.
  • ShowmetheMoney
    Options
    I personally won't wait for them to contact me. They were supposed to do that the last time round - never did - so I called them and sure enough I got a refund. They couldn't explain why they hadn't contacted me (have never moved house so no excuse there). As I am no longer an Npower customer part of me wonders they chance their luck that I wouldn't read the press.
  • sirbrainy
    Options
    Not sure I believe them that I am not entitled to anything. They couldn't even trace my a/c first attempt.
  • sirbrainy
    Options
    Despite what Npower claim, ie that accounts will get their refund automatically, I'd strongly suggest that anybody withy a qualifying a/c (gas in 2007) rings the freephone number and gets it sorted.

That's 2 of us here we know about where Npower lost our a/c details for 2007 and we must be a very small sample.
  • ruby911
    ruby911 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Just called and due £23 +vat+int. If I had not seen it on here I would have never known and I would very much doubt that n power would contact me as I have since moved to Scottish Power.
    Brilliant, informative post. Thanks :) :j
  • Little_Leita
    Options
    Woohoo!!! £63.20 for me!! Thank you OP. :beer:
  • J20BABY
    J20BABY Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cool they owe me about £38 with interest :)

Did it by my postcode and address-They said I will be getting a letter asking them to contact me but won't need to do it now as already done so, then will recieve a letter in about 8 weeks that can be taken to a PO with 2 forms of ID and get the money there and then.
  • DirectDebacle
    Options
    Hi,

You're correct - customers don't need to do anything as npower will be contacting eligible customers.

Payments will be between £1 and £100 and will reflect the period you were with npower and the anniversary of the date your gas supply started.

If you do need to contact us, we have a dedicated helpline with advisors who are trained to deal with any enquiry related to this particular issue. Our helpline number is 0800 975 7938. For more information, you can also visit http://www.npower.com/web/PaymentstoGasCustomers/index.htm where you will also be able to access our Confirm Your Details form and Gas Payments Enquiry form.

Best
    Sally

I followed the link you provided and the explanation of how you will calculate payments is not clear:
    How did we calculate the payment amount?

We’ve taken the maximum possible number of higher-priced units a customer could have been charged following the changes made in 2007. We’ve compared this with 4,572 units per year using 12 month periods around this time based on the anniversary of the date they first joined npower. The payment amount is based on any excess higher-priced units, multiplied by the difference between the rate for the higher and lower priced units applicable at the time. We’ve taken the additional step of including VAT and a sum in lieu of interest in this payment.

Using the above method could you tell me the amount of Primary Block units a customer who was with npower from 1/12/2006-30/11/2008 would have been billed above 4572 for a year. Also the date of the prices used to calculate the multiplication differential for the payment amount.

This example assumes gas usage was sufficient for follow-on units to be charged throughout.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport