£114 Penalty fare!!

Options

Comments

• robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    king100 wrote: »
    This is more in regards to an earlier arguement we were having on a fine and admin charge. Travelling without a valid ticket.

That is fair enough, I can see there is some history between you.

But I'm guessing the answer is 'no' as you didn't answer the question ;)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,935 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    taffy056 wrote: »
    Of course you would take a parachute to get off a plane early, you wouldn't be able to even board a plane without the correct ticket, so the comparison is not there!

Airlines do play around with fares and destinations in similar sorts of ways though - for example, if it is more popular for people from place A to go to place B for a trip than the other way round, then they'll charge considerably more for a return ticket A -> B -> A than for B -> A -> B. And in order to stop people who just want a single flight from A to B from saving money by buying a return from B to A and just using the return part, they have T & C that will automatically invalidate the return leg of the journey if the outward one isn't used.
  • geordieracer
    Options
    king100 wrote: »
    Were they charged in relation to the fraud?

The problem is you dont know the circumstances on why they got off.

Maybe they had the intention to go to Southampton but instead received a phone call saying that their goldfish had died and thus decided than rather go shopping they would go back and bury it.

I guess whilst you stand there checking peoples tickets you stop someone with genuine reason in regards to why he doesnt have a ticket etc etc a smile comes across you face and you beam with delight.

I have travelled on many trains and have bought a ticket to one station and decided whilst on there actually i prefer to go to here instead or my mates have contacted me with change of plans.

If then I get off at a different station and some TI challenged me and said that he was going to fine me he can jog on, I will be happy to pay the difference between ticket.

Things happen in life that are unexpected yet your rules are black and white without any grey.

Alongtime ago (when a teenager) I have had TI man handle me and try a shove me in a cupboard before. I wanted to pay for a ticket, but he wouldent let me. Anyway he didnt get anything from me and I escaped from his cupboard.

So TI sorry I have no respect for you whatsoever, you lack any common sense and always try a treat everyone in the same boat.

It tells you in the story that they got off to see friends who called them for lunch at the last minute on their way down. They live 1 mile from Eastleigh station. Its quite obvious that they have lied about it or else they would have bought a valid ticket from Southampton back to Eastleigh to go home again after their trip - which they probably could have used anyway at the gates.

If you had bought a ticket and got off at a station before hand then you are entitled to do so especially on the return portion of your ticket - this is called a break of journey and is allowed with most ticket.

As rob has said the megatrain ticket does not allow this.

I dont work in revenue protection but as a group station manager i have to know all about it and see this sort of thing happen all the time.. For instance,

not so long ago i was with my new member of staff in the ticket office on their first friday night rush hour so thought id give them support. Some bloke saunters up and specifically asks for the ticket for the train that leaves just after peak - no problem said the clerk and then explained to him the restrictions, asked him if he understood, he said yes so he was sold the ticket. 10 mins later when we both went for a coffee we saw the bloke arguing with a revenue protection fella at the gateline saying he was never told of the restrictions. Because he was properly shouting and getting in the RPIs face i went over to find out the problem - when he saw me he soon shut up and sauntered off.

Point of my story is that people will try their hardest to defraud the railway because they think they will get away with it just like this couple have done. They took the risk. they got caught. And if i was the RPI concerned in this case i wouldnt have penalty fared them - It would have been a straight MG11 - notice for prosecution as after seeing their details i would have known they were intentionally defrauding the railway.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • geordieracer
    Options
    taffy056 wrote: »
    You know what I think ? You are putting a motive behind this when probably there is none, there are 2 stations near me that are equal distances , if I caught a train from swansea to cardiff for example and got off at neath on the way back, why should I penalised for getting off early when there is no loss, I've paid to go to swansea its up to me to get off, if this went to court i'm sure they would lose.

As for the ryanair thing, since when has excess baggage has been a fine ? You have choice whether to pay to board with the bags, and when you buy the tickets for them you know the terms as they tell you with your ticket, or if bought online they tell you in big writing in an email and when going through the process of buying online, wonder if the train company told these people the same ?

Southampton is quite a distance by road and rail still..

And yes when you go through the booking process it asks you if you have agreed to the T&Cs if you do not tick the box you cannot buy the ticket..
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    I understand the strict conditions and i could see going to an extra train station but they didnt and got off early.
    I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • king100
    Options
    I dont work in revenue protection but as a group station manager i have to know all about it and see this sort of thing happen all the time..

So it will be you that im telling to jog on then.........

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe you should PM each other, because others aren't interested in your point scoring in public nor your 'history'. Both as bad as each other.
  • king100
    Options
    robt wrote: »
    Maybe you should PM each other, because others aren't interested in your point scoring in public nor your 'history'. Both as bad as each other.

Damn Dad didnt know you were online yet, its getting sorted as promised.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    Not very helpful for the couple highlighted in the media report, but for all you money savers for any future train travel, if you traveling on cheap advance tickets and need to change your plans and leave the train early, then at the station before you board buy the cheapest ticket to your new destination ie;

London to Southampton on a very cheap advance/mega train ticket but now need to leave at Eastliegh, then at London buy a Southampton Airport to Eastleigh single $1.70 and hand that to the gripper on the barrier and smile as you pass thru.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    i dont see how the train lost any moneya s they claim as they paid to go further than whyen they got off there ticket ws valid to that destination
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure